Confirmed with Link: New Coaching Staff - Tocchet, Gonchar, + Adam Foote | Boudreau, Cull Fired

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Does anyone actually think this is "Bruce's fault" ? His coaching decisions have been criticized, and rightfully so, but I don't think anyone, management included, lays this season entirely at his feet.
The guy we've been responding to seems to think that, Bruce has been called a "bad coach" in this thread, so yah, they do.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Does anyone actually think this is "Bruce's fault" ? His coaching decisions have been criticized, and rightfully so, but I don't think anyone, management included, lays this season entirely at his feet.

The guy we've been responding to seems to think that, Bruce has been called a "bad coach" in this thread, so yah, they do.

You won't find a single person who think this season is "entirely" at his feet.

But this season has been a complete mess on-the-ice and he deserves his share of the blame.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
Sounds about right.

Perhaps it's the coaches job to sort this out and provide guidance and leadership to be professionals and compete everyday?

I guess not. What's a coach good for then if you're not going to provide structure on the X and O's and you can't motivate your team?
Would have helped if management has acted like professionals instead of bringing in a coach with character issues. This is going to make the problem worse.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Gonchar and Foote need to do their wonders for this teams Defense.

Foote was a stellar stay at home defensemen, Gonchar had amazing ability to work up the ice.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Petey is this team's most important player. Bruce knew that.

If Tocchet's mandate is to come in and be full-time baby-sitter for Miller, it's going to continue to be a mess (well we knew that already).

• Love
Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
With the D and G the Canucks are icing there's no coach in the world that can get you to losing games 2-1. We're looking at the choice between lossing 6-5 and losing 6-1.

The team is built to fail. Even if we score our way to the playoffs, we'll get trashed when teams tighten up defensively.

Reactions: sting101

Chrysalis99

Fredo Fatquilini SUCKS
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2021
Danbury Trashers
Im just catching up on this news but the entire organization looks like dog $hit. The Canucks are the epitome of consistent garbage and the common denominator is the half wit at the top. The Aquilini's dumped the family nincompoop on the Canucks to keep him from botching their real money making businesses. This dolt couldnt even run a berry farm that was handed to him on a silver platter yet he gets to play "NHL Owner". A great city like Vancouver deserves more than an idiot running the team. The Aquilini's must realize the embarrassing dumpster fire he's ignited and the $hit stain he's leaving on the family name. They need to sell the team or find another business for the ninni-hump to run. Either way, The A at the top of the chart must go. Until then nothing changes.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011

But this season has been a complete mess on-the-ice and he deserves his share of the blame.
Sure he does, but lets not fool ourselves into thinking this season would have gone much or even any better with a different coach, we fell for this crap with TG too, its the same team with the same problems, that falls on the people constructing the team farrrrr more then anyone else. To even bring up the coach as a problem in this situation rather than a small part of this season's failure is completely disingenuous, and just plain wrong.

Reactions: Chrysalis99

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
That's certainly possible.

In that case they probably could have been more forceful in the denials. The denials were weak.

Personally I have very little concern one way or the other on how it was handled. I don't think it's a huge black mark moving forward. I think there are hurt feelings and emotions are running high that it seems far worse than it is to all involved.

It's never going to be a huge black mark going forward but I do think it's concerning. The organization has "prided itself" on treating people right. For the most part the Canucks have been free from these type of controversies. But this season we've had the Doerrie situation, the Bruce situation, the Quinn Hughes created Pearson situation, which really is unprecedented.

hlrsr

Sep 16, 2006
Sure he does, but lets not fool ourselves into thinking this season would have gone much or even any better with a different coach, we fell for this crap with TG too, its the same team with the same problems, that falls on the people constructing the team farrrrr more then anyone else. To even bring up the coach as a problem in this situation rather than a small part of this season's failure is completely disingenuous, and just plain wrong.

At the end of the day this management group didn't hire Bruce and never really seemed to be on the same page as him. If you go by JR/Allvin's comments yesterday they had every intention of riding the season out with Bruce but in a lost-cause of a season they still wanted to see progress in certain dimensions (outside of Ws), which they had made clear to Bruce a month ago.

After some period of time they decided they were not seeing any progress in those dimensions and decided to terminate him. There's lots of criticism to be levied at this group for how they went about it but ultimately they didn't hire him and he wasn't showing progress in the areas they wanted, so they brought in their own guy who they are presumably more in sync with. Timing and execution aside, it was the right thing for them to do.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Undeniable. The team defense is a mess. I don't think JR should be able to dump it all on Bordeau and escape making Trent Cull defensive assistant. That move has been a complete failure, the team went from weak last year to farcical this year.

Reactions: m9

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007

no doubt about that. However, is his fault big enough to let go? I don't know.
The team is chicken shxt. For me, unless the team can be a playoff-bound team if it plays the "JR demanded" structure, it is what it is. Or, do you believe they would be in the playoff spot if Barry Trotz was the coach? The btm line is the one who should know better did nothing last summer.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
At the end of the day this management group didn't hire Bruce and never really seemed to be on the same page as him. If you go by JR/Allvin's comments yesterday they had every intention of riding the season out with Bruce but in a lost-cause of a season they still wanted to see progress in certain dimensions (outside of Ws), which they had made clear to Bruce a month ago.

After some period of time they decided they were not seeing any progress in those dimensions and decided to terminate him. There's lots of criticism to be levied at this group for how they went about it but ultimately they didn't hire him and he wasn't showing progress in the areas they wanted, so they brought in their own guy who they are presumably more in sync with. Timing and execution aside, it was the right thing for them to do.
That is BS from JR/Allvin. JR wanted his guy since the start of the season. So, he keeps saying BB was not good enough. Go check BB's record. In fact, how do we know BB did not do what JR ask? Maybe BB did and it was a complete joke. BTW, do you remember what people said about BB when he first came here?
The bottom line is that you don't do this to a human being even if he is not your guy.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

It's not wrong to say the coach was "a part of the problem" because this team has systemic issues that they have not corrected. I think in other threads when describing the defense I said it's 80% players and 20% coaching and I stand by that. The majority of the blame falls on the players and/or the people assembling the team.

I also think the part of the story that has gone largely ignored here is that Trent Cull was let go. Most people thought he did a poor job with their AHL team for awhile now, and now he comes up here in charge of the defense and they are absolutely awful. I'm not familiar with Adam Foote's coaching, but I am familiar with him as a player and know he was an excellent defensive defenseman for a long time and I am excited to see what he brings.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
It's not wrong to say the coach was "a part of the problem" because this team has systemic issues that they have not corrected. I think in other threads when describing the defense I said it's 80% players and 20% coaching and I stand by that. The majority of the blame falls on the players and/or the people assembling the team.

I also think the part of the story that has gone largely ignored here is that Trent Cull was let go. Most people thought he did a poor job with their AHL team for awhile now, and now he comes up here in charge of the defense and they are absolutely awful. I'm not familiar with Adam Foote's coaching, but I am familiar with him as a player and know he was an excellent defensive defenseman for a long time and I am excited to see what he brings.
Fair enough, I can get behind that.

Yah Cull being hired in the first place after last year was baffling to me, also says alot of them keeping Yeo and King but letting Cull go. Given the state of our farm team I'm glad Cull is gone from there too.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
no doubt about that. However, is his fault big enough to let go? I don't know.
The team is chicken shxt. For me, unless the team can be a playoff-bound team if it plays the "JR demanded" structure, it is what it is. Or, do you believe they would be in the playoff spot if Barry Trotz was the coach? The btm line is the one who should know better did nothing last summer.

The defense has become sloppy in their own zone and their forwards have become lazy point-chasers who seem to have no problem giving up multiple goal leads if it means they can get an extra goal out of it. I don't know how much that falls on coaching but I know that the coach was not holding top players accountable for these things so it probably wasn't going to change anytime soon.

Reactions: sting101 and MarkMM

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011

That was definitely one of the biggest issues here and shows how f***ing dumb our owner is.

Reactions: MS

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Fair enough, I can get behind that.

Yah Cull being hired in the first place after last year was baffling to me, also says alot of them keeping Yeo and King but letting Cull go. Given the state of our farm team I'm glad Cull is gone from there too.

I'm legitimately excited for this new coaching staff, or at least the new guys. My ideal scenario for the next 2-3 years would be a rebuilt team that is faster, younger, and tougher to play against.

I have my doubts this roster will be successful, especially with Horvat & others likely gone. But I do know Rick Tocchet & Adam Foote were two of the tougher players to play against when they played so I expect the compete level to be raised.

Reactions: racerjoe and me2

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I'm legitimately excited for this new coaching staff, or at least the new guys. My ideal scenario for the next 2-3 years would be a rebuilt team that is faster, younger, and tougher to play against.

This would be ideal. I don't trust management's patience though. They sounded like they wanted a short turn around, 2 years, they are already 1 year down.

I have my doubts this roster will be successful, especially with Horvat & others likely gone. But I do know Rick Tocchet & Adam Foote were two of the tougher players to play against when they played so I expect the compete level to be raised.

They will need a lot of roster change. This just doesn't seem like that kind of roster. Pod is probably someone who might succeed if pushed. Some many other players will burn out and tune out

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
This would be ideal. I don't trust management's patience though. They sounded like they wanted a short turn around, 2 years, they are already 1 year down.

They will need a lot of roster change. This just doesn't seem like that kind of roster. Pod is probably someone who might succeed if pushed. Some many other players will burn out and tune out

Yup. Lots of work to be done and a management group that so far isn't very good at getting things done.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC

Will never forget when Tocchet took a puck to the face, went to the ice where they wired his broken jaw shut, then he comes back on the ice and scores two goals, lol.

Jury out on whether he'll work out as a coach, but Scotty Bowman specifically called out Tocchet as single handedly inspiring a culture of leadership and intensity. And Bowman when Bowman talks leadership, I give it some weight.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
The defense has become sloppy in their own zone and their forwards have become lazy point-chasers who seem to have no problem giving up multiple goal leads if it means they can get an extra goal out of it. I don't know how much that falls on coaching but I know that the coach was not holding top players accountable for these things so it probably wasn't going to change anytime soon.
First of all, the statement is right on. The defence looks sloppy because most of the defensemen are not good enough. Getting a few better defensemen or having a few more pro gurus, is GM's job.

Reactions: me2 and m9

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
First of all, the statement is right on. The defence looks sloppy because most of the defensemen are not good enough. Getting a few better defensemen or having a few more pro gurus, is GM's job.
I've never thought that the Canucks D men weren't 'good enough'...More of a case of style mismatches, and the incorrect partners that support their style...A poor construction.

We essentially have one pure D man on the team..a gaggle of PMD's who are prone to all sorts of adventures when they're paired together... A bigger gaggle of 3rd pairing D men, who become liabilities when faced with roles that they are not equipped to handle.

Reactions: Flik

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad