Confirmed with Link: New Coaching Staff - Tocchet, Gonchar, + Adam Foote | Boudreau, Cull Fired

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
I’m pretty willing to give anyone a shot. Always feel like anyone should be given an opportunity to show they belong, even if there are worrying signs.

We have a stupid easy schedule. Barring major setback trades at the TDL, I do expect that this staff puts them on a 100+ point heater the rest of the way. I would imagine they get stops after the TDL.

Management genuinely believed this roster was better than the 13th in the league 100+ point pace that BB had them at last year. Now, they have “their guy”.

I think it would be naive and unjustly lenient to not evaluate the remainder of the season on if they can get results playing a more structured game in a way that inspires faith that it is sustainable. It’s lenient because this is a management group that pushed in short term chips and promised short term results (rutherford two years at introductory presser, rutherford scoffing at drance’s 3 years a week ago)
Great so we lose games 2-1 instead of 5-4.........that sounds like fun.....

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
RT said he had offers from other teams but waited for the right fit. You could say he “bet on himself” ….. he literally placed bets …

Funny that him and Travis Green are good buddies and both noted gamblers lol.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
RT said he had offers from other teams but waited for the right fit. You could say he “bet on himself” ….. he literally placed bets …

Funny that him and Travis Green are good buddies and both noted gamblers lol.
Offers could easily mean assistant coach jobs.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Canucks are paying this year

Travis Green 2.75M
Bruce Boudreau 2M
Rick Tocchet 2.75M

7.5M in head coaches for 18 wins.

They run a tight ship.

Offers could easily mean assistant coach jobs.

It was an offer to play in an online poker tournament. He accepted it.

Excited to see what Gonchar is able to do for Hughes game

Unless Gonchar can

Make him 1 foot taller
Make him 50 pounds heavier
Give him a slap shot
Give him a brain on how to defend …..

Then he’s not much help.

QH would be better to visit the wizard of oz.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
glad gonchar is not working remote.

Adam Foote one of the best shut down dmans in the 90s hope he can teach our dmans how to d.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
LOL
Good analysis in this piece
Remind you of anything?
ADA60C3A-CC3A-4744-9E97-7048444C2E9A.jpeg

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Nobody at all mentions how the on-ice performance was getting worse and worse. We're like 2-11 in our last 13 games... that's some Conor Bedard level tanking right there.

the on ice performance is trash because horvat, myers, boeser and garland know they are being shopped, miller is sulking because everyone is talking about how bad a signing he was and pettersson and hughes just want the suffering to end

coaching isn't going to change any of this

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
So if my math is correct you are saying Seattle has two thirds of the talent Vancouver has?

Sounds about right.
the on ice performance is trash because horvat, myers, boeser and garland know they are being shopped, miller is sulking because everyone is talking about how bad a signing he was and pettersson and hughes just want the suffering to end

Perhaps it's the coaches job to sort this out and provide guidance and leadership to be professionals and compete everyday?

I guess not. What's a coach good for then if you're not going to provide structure on the X and O's and you can't motivate your team?

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011

Exactly! People that think that this is Bruce's fault or that he is somehow a bad coach are absolutely delusional, this team sucks, period, and the construction of it is the biggest issue. To blame coaching for that is absolutely ridiculous

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Perhaps it's the coaches job to sort this out and provide guidance and leadership to be professionals and compete everyday?

I guess not. What's a coach good for then if you're not going to provide structure on the X and O's and you can't motivate your team?

of course it's the coaches job but what kind of agency does a coach have to change the direction of an organization? very little

boudreau couldn't help horvat with his conflicts with management. neither can tocchet

boudreau can't stop myers, boeser and garland from being publically identified by management as the problem in vancouver and told no one wants them even for free so we'll probably need to buy some of them out. neither can tocchet

boudreau can't reassure miller, pettersson and hughes that management is going to get their heads out of their asses and put more talent around them. neither can tocchet

the weight of being part of a failing organization is absolutely toxic and can't be changed without direct action from those with the power to change it. that's not the coach. that's aquilini, rutherford and allvin

Reactions: sandwichbird2023

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Sounds about right.

You can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit can you? So why would you expect the same of Bruce?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Gonna do my best to wait to judge these guys.

As pissed off as i am about JR it was a time for a change. Bruce's inability to have players play on the right side of the puck was a death nail as well as many curious decisions

Tocchet Foote and Gonchar will command a work ethic, hopefully flush out the clubhouse mentality and soft defensive presence this team has had prevailing for too long

Disgraceful how they treated Bruce.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver

at 3:20ish schenn said something interesting: "I think at the end of the day, you know, coaching is probably not as complicated as people maybe think, there's only a couple different ways to play a d-zone and a couple of different ways of forechecking, and obviously you want to get a message across and you want to execute the system. The teams that execute the systems are the ones that have success."

hmmm

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007

at 3:20ish schenn said something interesting: "I think at the end of the day, you know, coaching is probably not as complicated as people maybe think, there's only a couple different ways to play a d-zone and a couple of different ways of forechecking, and obviously you want to get a message across and you want to execute the system. The teams that execute the systems are the ones that have success."

hmmm

Maybe, but what about the parts concerned with setting lines and defensive pairings, matching players against the opponents, managing ice time, helping players to improve, or dealing with players egos? I think coaching might be pretty complicated after all.

Reactions: Chrysalis99

hlrsr

Sep 16, 2006
Exactly! People that think that this is Bruce's fault or that he is somehow a bad coach are absolutely delusional, this team sucks, period, and the construction of it is the biggest issue. To blame coaching for that is absolutely ridiculous

Does anyone actually think this is "Bruce's fault" ? His coaching decisions have been criticized, and rightfully so, but I don't think anyone, management included, lays this season entirely at his feet.

Reactions: Chrysalis99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad