Confirmed with Link: New Coaching Staff - Tocchet, Gonchar, + Adam Foote | Boudreau, Cull Fired

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Huh. You said no one has issue with the termination itself but rather the manner it was handled. I'm telling you there certainly are many who believe the firing was itself wrong, in addition to believing the handling was wrong. And that's probably moreso the case amongst casuals from my observation.
Ok got it. Misread/misinterpreted your previous post.

Reactions: hlrsr

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
When his name popped up in the summer I called him Travis Green. They’re close friends too. I’m not sure how involved Tocchet is on the strategy side of things, though.

I’d assume he’d be pretty involved since Foote doesn’t seem like a systems guy from what I’ve read and Gonchar is here as more of a developmental coach.

So unless Yeo is going to be Tocchet’s right hand guy and have heavy influence in systems okay I think it’s going to be Tocchet by default.

I’m gonna be annoyed if Pitt fires Sullivan this off-season, he’s the one Penguin employee I wanted.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I’d assume he’d be pretty involved since Foote doesn’t seem like a systems guy from what I’ve read and Gonchar is here as more of a developmental coach.

So unless Yeo is going to be Tocchet’s right hand guy and have heavy influence in systems okay I think it’s going to be Tocchet by default.

I’m gonna be annoyed if Pitt fires Sullivan this off-season, he’s the one Penguin employee I wanted.

At the press conference, Tocchet said he’s not an Xs and Os guy. Every description of him is that he’s a personality manager and tone setter but leans on his assistants to set effective strategy. So, I think we’re going to see a lot of Yeo, Foote, and King influence.

Here’s a good article from Dayal about yesterday’s practice.

“It’s all about relationships in this game,” Tocchet said after practice. “Yeah, the Xs and Os and all that stuff I get, but players have a voice. They should have a voice, it should be a partnership but there’s some mindsets that have to be non-negotiable and I think these guys understand that.”

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
All new management teams deserve the right to pick their coach. The owner prevented that from happening since the offseason. The owner meddling is not something to be happy about.
c'mon, that is the dumbest reasoning that I heard since the Flat Earth argument.
Deserve it or not, that is another issue. However, It does not make the management team has the right to do what they did.

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018
Getting serious Travis Green vibes from Tocchet regarding how he talks and thinks about the game.

Yep. I guess we better hope Green was a good coach after all. Just didn’t have enough to work with. Oh wait, the personnel is the same as well.

I don’t like the noise about a reduced role for Petey. Trying to get him soft matchups is more short term thinking. This team is never going to compete for a cup if Petey can’t win the big matchups. They should be getting him experience at this even if it means more losses in the short term. It was the same short term thinking that Green had when they had Miller taking all the face offs. How is Petey supposed to get better at face-offs if he never takes them? This was my biggest beef with Green as well.

But then I guess the real plan is to be a team that can squeak into the playoffs year after year. They do not have enough elite talent to be a top contender. The only way to change that is to be bad for a few more years.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
c'mon, that is the dumbest reasoning that I heard since the Flat Earth argument.
Deserve it or not, that is another issue. However, It does not make the management team has the right to do what they did.
They absolutely "had the right" to do it, people have the right to be critical of that decision but they had every right to make it and how they wanted to make it.

Reactions: Nomobo

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Everything I’ve read and heard about him is that he’s not a strategist. He’s big on managing the players and setting direction. This is why I’ve been saying that his assistant coaches will be very important.
Is he too young to be this kind of coach? I mean he has no cups to show that his direction will work. Who are the leaders who will lead in the locker room? Bob / Brock / Luke will be gone, and JT is you know what:huh:

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
In theory, Travis Green's coaching strategy is fine but he's terrible at executing. He has zero communication skills, can't motivate players to buy in, and didn't know how to run effective practices.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
They absolutely "had the right" to do it, people have the right to be critical of that decision but they had every right to make it and how they wanted to make it.
I believe you misread it, and I will leave it like that :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
So complaints about structure but hires a guy who has no ability to identify and implement the tactics of structure, keeps two assistants who’s job was probably also to instill structure and the added on bench coach failed to get a junior hockey juggernaut in Kelowna to the playoffs (made it 13 years straight before him).

This isn’t peewee rep. There’s more to coaching professionals than telling them to try hard.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
Not much to be happy about these days.

Everyone is on the same page now. No more sacrificing young guys because bruce "needed" wins to survive.

Actually insane ownership was willing to ruin prospects to save some cash lol

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
The way they did it was an attempt at constructive dismissal and violates BC labour laws. JR does not have the right to pull BS that is literally illegal in the jurisdiction he is working in, but it's clear he's too stupid to learn after the Doerrie situation.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
The way they did it was an attempt at constructive dismissal and violates BC labour laws. JR does not have the right to pull BS that is literally illegal in the jurisdiction he is working in, but it's clear he's too stupid to learn after the Doerrie situation.
So how would the labour case go?

BB attorney: Judge, our client was treated badly in the days leading up to him being relieved of his duties. He knew that they were looking to make someone else responsible for his duties.

Canucks attorney: Your honour, the organization performed a normal process to assess and ultimately decide that the right decision for the organization was to hire a new coach. We are honouring Mr. Boudreau's contract.

Judge: You mean you're paying him in full to not do his job?

CA: Yes

Judge: Dismissed

As much as I disliked how management handled the situation in the last 10 days, how in the world does this rise to be illegal under BC labour law? They're paying his full contract. And I can't imagine the argument that might result in damages beyond that. I'm not a lawyer so could be completely missing the boat.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Please explain…as I understand it, Bruce Boudreau is under contract with the Canucks to coach the team…he was relieved of his duties and is still being paid under the terms of his contract…where was the law broken?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Bruce wanted to coach as long as he could, he didn't want to quit and sue someone. For you to even suggest this shows how out of touch you are with the person involved (Boudreau) and probably reality in general. Nobody sane would quit a job they like to pre-empt a firing so they could go through the legal process to maybe get the money they were going to get anyway.

Reactions: Canucker

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
At the press conference, Tocchet said he’s not an Xs and Os guy. Every description of him is that he’s a personality manager and tone setter but leans on his assistants to set effective strategy. So, I think we’re going to see a lot of Yeo, Foote, and King influence.

Here’s a good article from Dayal about yesterday’s practice.

“It’s all about relationships in this game,” Tocchet said after practice. “Yeah, the Xs and Os and all that stuff I get, but players have a voice. They should have a voice, it should be a partnership but there’s some mindsets that have to be non-negotiable and I think these guys understand that.”
Relying on Yeo and King is hardly reassuring.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Coincidentally enough, both teams have major management problems far beyond coaching.
I think it's a long held grudge that JR had against Boudreau:

Boudreau scored his first NHL goal with guess who in net?:

bruce.png

:sarcasm:

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
As fans it's hard to really evaluate assistant coaches unless they're mainly in charge of something specific like King as the powerplay or Baumer with the defense during the Green era.

What exactly is Yeo in charge of? If it's the PK then yikes....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad