• Brunette

• None of the above

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
I'm hesitant about former players becoming coaches. They can relate well to the team, but the skillset for coaching vs playing at the highest echelon is different. I'm also tired of the dumb politics that Maurice upholds.

Just like the most elite music performers tend to be below average teachers. I think it's good if someone on staff is a former player, but I don't believe that it should be the HC. You want someone who sees the big picture, elite at seeing long-term consequences, not someone who's elite at being present with awesome reaction time/reflexes. At the top level, those two are mutually exclusive - a cost of specialization. Someone can be decent at both, but this isn't minor hockey - we need the best.

Unfortunately 'the old boys' club' that relies on connections and heavily relies on retreads and former players.

Similarly, I'd also like to see the DOPS run by someone that actually understands injuries and is clear-headed enough to be able to evaluate and enforce policies consistently, not a former goon. Those two are also completely opposite ends of the spectrum... But that's another topic...

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
I always got a good vibe from Jamie Kompon. He is busy handling far more important things in life right now so I don't think he is the convo, really. But our special teams were an issue before he got here, then got decent, and have been abysmal since he is away. Coincidence? I am not so sure. He seems dialled in and my hope is he gets tapped to be HC one day in the league, perhaps even from the Jets. Seems like a good dude as well.

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
Roy has always been a winner as a player, and did well as a coach for the Avalanche. I'm sure he would light a fire under the Jets and have them in 1st place. I noticed a poster saying he was a hot head, and not well liked by the players or fans, so you do have to consider this.

Usually good coaches have learned how to be good coaches, so I would look to someone that's coached under Sullivan ( Tampa) or Barry Trotz, or from a winning organization. A guy that was hired that impressed me, and was always known as a very hard worker was the guy Carolina hired. Rod Brindamour I believe his name is. ( obviously great coach who gets a 100 % effort from players.)

I've also heard good things about Mike Keane, that he was a very hard working player, and he may be someone I'd talk too, and I'd also talk to James Partrick, as I'm reading good things about him. Both these guys may not be experienced enough ? but the major quality I'd look for is strength of character, and ability to motivate men.

If I was a GM -- I'd talk to Patrick Roy, and Bruce Boudreau, and then I'd also talk to new up and coming guys in successful organizations. I wouldn't really worry if Patrick Roy is well liked by the players, but I'd be more concerned if he was well "respected." I've heard Scotty Bowman was not well liked by players, but he certainly was well respected, and always got an all out effort from his hockey clubs, and won many Stanley Cups.

Note -- Paul Maurice is a well liked guy by players and fans, but is that the kind of guy we want -- well liked ?? I'd rather have "well respected." Some players slack off under "well liked" coaches, and don't really respect them.

I think I'd go with Patrick Roy -- I believe he's a winner.

Just remember that the most successful coaches in the NFL -- Bill Parcells and Bill Billichek are not well liked by the players, but their certainly well respected, and they will play hard for them. We don't need another Mr. Nice Guy.
Looks like the magic ticket is to hire a guy whose name is Bill!

Reactions: GNP

Section 325

Nov 5, 2014
Calgary, AB
I was hoping that the Jets would've gotten Alain Vigneault when he was available a few seasons ago.

My current hope is that they get Claude Julien. He did a fairly good job with the complete lack of a roster they gave him in Montreal. I think he would thrive here.

Where is Jacques Martin?

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Lowry was a very good Junior coach. He is very good with young players. His style is aggressive in every zone on the ice.

Would he be a good NHL coach? Maybe.

I think Pascal Vincent would be someone they would look at. Very good with younger players and has a good track record with True North here and he is familiar with a lot of the current players

I like Vincent as a coach, but he does seem to be very soft spoken. Can he demand immediate respect and accountability?

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I personally don't want a retread as a coach. I want someone new and innovative.

I disagree. With where the Jets are, they can't afford to try someone new and innovative and end up with a lemon as they only have ~3 years of contention window open.

If we were making a coaching change I'd want a proven NHL commodity- that would be a guy like Boudreau, Julien (if affordable) or Babcock (only if he has learned the error of his ways). So many of the new blood coaches that are hired out of the NCAA tend to fall flat in their first job and it takes them a couple of tries to get with NHL, our contention window does not allow for that.

Additionally I feel this group needs someone with gravitas to coach them as I fear they might just walk over a new inexperienced guy.

Reactions: Roughneck1

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I was hoping that the Jets would've gotten Alain Vigneault when he was available a few seasons ago.

My current hope is that they get Claude Julien. He did a fairly good job with the complete lack of a roster they gave him in Montreal. I think he would thrive here.

Where is Jacques Martin?

Julien is a great coach, however I don't think the Jets can afford him esp given the covid related revenue drop. I don't know many teams that would be willing to pay a coach $5 million per year in the current environment, there are maybe 2-3 coaches in the league worth that- Trotz, Sullivan and Cooper, for the rest of the league it doesn't make sense to spend that much on a coach in light of the current environment. So unless the Jets can convince the Habs to eat a big chunk of his salary, I don't see that as realistic.

Just no to Jacques Martin... he's a clear downgrade on Maurice.

B33R LEAGUE

"Just another day at the office" -Byfuglien
May 19, 2021
Whatever happened to Guy Boucher?
Ottawa happened.

upload_2021-11-27_16-48-1.png

upload_2021-11-27_16-48-19.jpeg

Too bad, cuz I liked Guy in Tampa.

upload_2021-11-27_16-48-46.jpeg

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I like Vincent as a coach, but he does seem to be very soft spoken. Can he demand immediate respect and accountability?
Yes, behind the Columbus BJ's bench just fine. We lost him last year, when Mo should have been released and PV given the reigns,,even if only as interim.Too late, too bad.

Section 325

Nov 5, 2014
Calgary, AB
Two different teams had one fantastic season with him and then the next one was a stinker where he got fired.

Last the NHL saw was him getting fired in Ottawa. Now he is on a show on RDS, the land of fired francophone coaches. Think Jacques Demers, Mario Tremblay, Michel Therrien, and apparently Guy Boucher.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I disagree. With where the Jets are, they can't afford to try someone new and innovative and end up with a lemon as they only have ~3 years of contention window open.

If we were making a coaching change I'd want a proven NHL commodity- that would be a guy like Boudreau, Julien (if affordable) or Babcock (only if he has learned the error of his ways). So many of the new blood coaches that are hired out of the NCAA tend to fall flat in their first job and it takes them a couple of tries to get with NHL, our contention window does not allow for that.

Additionally I feel this group needs someone with gravitas to coach them as I fear they might just walk over a new inexperienced guy.

I don't agree. I don't necessarily believe a retread who hahasn'coached in a while will make a big difference. They fail just as often as the new guys. Also I believe Pittsburgh won back to back cups with a pretty green NHL Head coach.

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
Last I heard he was staring at a dandelion and waxing philosophically about the randomness of how the seeds could blow in any direction and poke a wooly mammoth in the eye which would cause it to fall over into a pond and cause a mini tsunami which would upset the amoeba balance and result in a decimation of the amoeba feeding fish.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Last I heard he was staring at a dandelion and waxing philosophically about the randomness of how the seeds could blow in any direction and poke a wooly mammoth in the eye which would cause it to fall over into a pond and cause a mini tsunami which would upset the amoeba balance and result in a decimation of the amoeba feeding fish.

You need to watch Devs. :nod:

Reactions: Ludwig Fell Down

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada

Where is Jacques Martin?
I'm a huge fan of Claude Julien. He's top 5 in the world imho. Was stuck with some very bad rosters in MTL. The guy is brilliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad