Speculation: New Captain in 2015/16

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
I feel Hall made a very good case for it at the end of last season. It's always been heading in that direction anyways.

But with Ference still there, no need to change things up this year. Plus with an entire summer to go where change is imminent, this conversation, I feel, is way too early.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Oh I know it's a downright miniscule chance. I'm just saying that would be the only way Ference isn't the captain until his contract runs out

Ference should not be on this team no matter what next year. The Ference and Nikitin signings plus the Eakins hiring are why it would be reasonable to can MacT.

Hopefully Ference has the decency to retire. Otherwise trade him and eat a bunch of salary, buy him out or bury him.

Once that cancer is taken care of give the C to Nuge.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
A C looks good on him dontcha think?

mcdavid-e1419182564943.jpg

mcdavidoilersTCback_large.jpg

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I feel Hall made a very good case for it at the end of last season. It's always been heading in that direction anyways.

But with Ference still there, no need to change things up this year. Plus with an entire summer to go where change is imminent, this conversation, I feel, is way too early.

Ference holding the captaincy is fine with me, but only if he's playing. On a healthy lineup, I wouldn't put him ahead of any regular, including Nikitin. If we're adding a defenseman or two, it becomes extremely difficult to justify keeping Ference. I could see us retaining salary and trading him somewhere.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Yeah, now that we have McDavid, it seems like the best option is to just let Ference keep it until McDavid is ready to take it, which could be as early as next year or the year after.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Yeah, now that we have McDavid, it seems like the best option is to just let Ference keep it until McDavid is ready to take it, which could be as early as next year or the year after.

Agreed. Wouldn't mind seeing a poll for the captaincy in 2016-17 with McDavid on the list. I've always thought your best player should be your captain when you are a competitive team.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Shocked that it was only about month between this thread and the last who should be Captain of the team.

This debate is GETTING REALLY OLD

This is coming from YOU?!?

The same poster who runs to his computer to post celebrity death threads for every d-lister who dies? Who posts a poll on every question that gets trapped between his ears? Who starts a thread on every tv reboot even being contemplated?

Hypocritical, dude.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I don't want them to give it to anyone. I want a player to step up and be acclaimed via their play.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Klefbom should be in the running, really like that kid

He's way too young. We need a leader, someone with experience, someone to guide the ship correctly.

Not to knock Klefbom, I think he's a great player and a fantastic defenceman but they kid's only 21.

I'm going to wait to see what trades/free agent signings we make in the off-season. Maybe we'll acquire a veteran forward or defenceman that can be the team captain?

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Hall if its this season, McDavid if its down the road. Halls a winner and plays with his heart on his sleave, we need more of that. McDavids a smart kid and from the erie games and wjc games ive watched he doesn't take a shift off. We need someone to lead by example.

C: Hall
A: nuge
A: Yak

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
I voted for RNH earlier, but now that McDavid is on the way, I say stick with Ference if he is here until he retires and then give it to Captain Connor in a year or two. Hall, RNH & Ebs as alternates

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I would Make Ference an Assistant and not have any Captain.

Go with 3 Assistants for the season and then name a new captain the following season.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
it's either McJesus or RNH. Hall and whoever else with the A's. The end.

So for the time being they should just roll with no captain.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Ference likely keeps it next season, or roll with 4 As. Future leadership group will likely be this IMO:

C-McDavid
A-Nurse
A-Lander

I see no reason to strip Ference of the C. Would just be unnecessary added drama to the room.

The only case would be if you think he's not going to be in the lineup every night. But I don't think we have two d-men better than him defensively to take him out.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I see no reason to strip Ference of the C. Would just be unnecessary added drama to the room.

The only case would be if you think he's not going to be in the lineup every night. But I don't think we have two d-men better than him defensively to take him out.

Depends...it doesn't make much sense to have a captain that plays 10 minutes a night. If the Oilers acquire some defensive depth that might well be the case.

if that happens give him an A and make him one of 3 assistants.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad