Management New Assistant Coach John Gruden

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Dom says, "Winner." I like it.

"Gruden instantly gained a reputation as a player’s coach. Perhaps the most telling tale of that came during the 2015-2016 season when he was named Head Coach of the Flint Firebirds of the OHL. To use a phrase Wayne Gretzky once used to describe the New Jersey Devils, the Firebirds were a “Mickey Mouse operation” at the time embroiled in controversy after controversy. Ownership fired Gruden but the players stuck with their head coach and refused to play until he was re-instated. And he was. Now that’s loyalty."

Welcome to Boston, indeed!

StonedZboril

Jul 8, 2022
Well he certainly did here. Other sources including NBC Sports later reported the same story.
NBC’s article cites Jimmy Murphy and so does literally every article I could dig up on the internet. Feel free to find an article that independently confirmed his reporting. Also…

Reactions: Gordoff

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I despise hockey nicknames where players are generally just Brook-sie or Clark-sy. So overdone.

However, if this man does not have the nickname Grudz, then there is something wrong in the world.

Welcome back to Boston John Gruden.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
NBC’s article cites Jimmy Murphy and so does literally every article I could dig up on the internet. Feel free to find an article that independently confirmed his reporting. Also…

Please read my posts #40 and 48 and explain to me how Murphy’s report would have an impact on Greer’s HC decision.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
He's got some real challenges ahead with the injuries and completing the D roster. He has earned the respect of his players in past assignments so we can look to his solidifying the team defense.

I am really interested to see how he and Montgomery might be able to get something different out of the D, and maybe create more offense from the blue line.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Besides the limbo that the lineup (C) position is in, I'm excited about seeing what the new coaching staff is able to bring out of some of the kids.
Cassidy obviously did some good work here but apparently didn't want certain players taking chances or stepping out of the strict rules that he maintained. When BC took over behind the bench as an "interim" he seemed to have a more open mind but once he was named HC permanently he tightened up the reigns.
Would've loved to have seen this staff and what they may have done with the 2019 team. Definitely sounds like they won't be as physically easy to play against as they were.

I am really interested to see how he and Montgomery might be able to get something different out of the D, and maybe create more offense from the blue line.
And (may I add) cleaning out the front of the Bruins goal. It'll be interesting to see if we have the personnel to do that. IMO it's going to be a work in progress.

Reactions: Ratty and Dr Hook

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
He's got some real challenges ahead with the injuries and completing the D roster. He has earned the respect of his players in past assignments so we can look to his solidifying the team defense.
I think it will be challenging with Brad and Charlie Mac out for the start. Plus, new guys and coaching staff.

Reactions: Gordoff

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

I'm frankly pleased that all three recent hires - Danielle Marmer as Strength & Skating coach, Gruden for D, and Montgomery -- are from OUTSIDE the organization.

I believe this is significant, because if "fresh eyes" and "a new voice in the room" are as important as Neely and Sweeney say, they are acting on the pledge.

More than most, the Bruins have been a very insular lot over the years, with the notable exception of Peter Chiarelli/Claude Julien. It was a smart and healthy move for Charlie Jacobs to bring them in, and I believe the new additions bode well for the club.

It isn't going to be easy, on several fronts. I would prepare myself for some pain, perhaps a lot of pain, going forward.

Regardless of Jacobs' comments about a rebuild being a "tough sell" to the Bruins fan base, and whether or not Patrice and David return this season, a rebuild is inevitable.

The B's varsity is thin, and little help is coming from PRO. They simply won't have a choice, whatever the old man says.

Instead of trading away first round draft selections, managment will be compelled to hang on to them, and, hopefully, draft better. Others know better than me, but though drafting has apparently been better of late (Lysell, Lohrei), an overhaul of that department is in order, and should have occured long ago.

We'll see. But, if nothing else, next season will be "interesting." I'm curious to see how things unfold.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad