New: 3rd Class-Action lawsuit (CHL/NHL/AHL)

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
If this is dragged out and the suing party loses. The defendants can ask that the lawyer fees be paid by the group suing.

To be honest i don't think they have a 100% slam dunk case, i am not sure if they really have a case at all for a few reasons one the argument they are making is there is no other league that exists that the CHL players can go to if they don't get into the NHL and make the team. Defense can argue that European hockey exists and that there were other options than CHL that didn't have the age restrictions to the echl/AHL that the players knew about the restrictions per contract he signed.

2nd thing is the money issue, CHL could argue that they are getting benefits that worth more than what they could possible make if they were getting minimal wage.

Plaintiffs Lawyers would not be on the hook for other party lawyer fees. Only risk is not getting paid. In a class action, can plaintiffs actually be on the hook for other party fees in case of a loss? There is the main plaintiff (or a small group) who does the heavy lifting in court if needed and representing the whole group. That person gets a larger stake for the extra effort in case of a win but I can't imagine they would assume the whole risk of paying other party in case of a loss?

In any case let's see if this passes class action certification smell test first.

WeaponOfChoice

Jan 25, 2020
Also in early days of MLS, they dealt with a smilar lawsuit over restrictions of player movement the person/group lost cause there are alternates to Soccer than MLS. Like there are alternates pro leagues than just NHL/AHL/ECHL.

To add. about the age 20 requirement issue for AHL etc, I think the reason why such a restriction is in place has to do with are you mature physically, emotionally and mentally enough as a person to handle players that are older and stronger/bigger than you.

Even if this person suing was drafted by a NHL player is he mature enough to handle players that are way older than him and possible bigger in weight and size. If he isn't mature enough to be on a NHL roster why would he necessary be mature enough a ECHL or a AHL roster.
I don't think that's the equivalent at all. The Euro leagues are all better than the MLS. For hockey you could maybe argue that the KHL is as good as the NHL and that's about it.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
lol wow bud, completely clueless. Why is it oh wise one, that in all these lawsuits, it's always just the players that didn't have a chance for a pro career?
The minimum wage class action has
4286 current and former CHL players eligible for their cut of the settlement (approximately $10,600 each).

Despite a Herculean effort by the CHL clubs, including direct mail to the parents, just 6 total players, 2 from the OHL and 4 from the WHL, eventually opted out.

So are you trying to say that the other 4280 are worse players than those 6, 3 of whom are the children of team owners?

Last edited:

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
lol wow bud, completely clueless. Why is it oh wise one, that in all these lawsuits, it's always just the players that didn't have a chance for a pro career?
Is there any "non standard" player agreement?
I wish more people would read an actual SPA instead of a league’s summary. And if you discover that the agreements are difficult to find, perhaps that’s because of Schedule B, Article 5, which threatens everything short of hazing with a jagged broomstick if the player divulges a single detail to a living soul.

Last edited:

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Lengthy and expensive trail. The last thing is i don't think the party suing wants this to be dragged out in courts for years and years. I mean you are suing leagues that happens to have a whole lot of money to actually fit this lawsuit.

If this is dragged out and the suing party loses. The defendants can ask that the lawyer fees be paid by the group suing.

To be honest i don't think they have a 100% slam dunk case, i am not sure if they really have a case at all for a few reasons one the argument they are making is there is no other league that exists that the CHL players can go to if they don't get into the NHL and make the team. Defense can argue that European hockey exists and that there were other options than CHL that didn't have the age restrictions to the echl/AHL that the players knew about the restrictions per contract he signed.

2nd thing is the money issue, CHL could argue that they are getting benefits that worth more than what they could possible make if they were getting minimal wage.

The money thing is a good point. What the league should do is give the players a choice.

They can either have minimum wage and then have to pay for their rent, food, hockey equipment, hotel, dental, medical (if needed), etc as well as not include the school package, or they can get all that for free. Players choice.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad