New: 3rd Class-Action lawsuit (CHL/NHL/AHL)

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
And now a 3rd class action lawsuit largely against the CHL but also the NHL, AHL, ECHL is launched.

A proposed $825 million class-action claim alleges a conspiracy among the world’s top professional and amateur hockey leagues to exploit dream-chasing teenage players with one-sided contracts containing abusive restrictions on their young careers.

The claim, filed by the former junior hockey player Kobe Mohr seeking to represent potentially thousands of others over the past 10 years, takes aim at hockey’s power establishment: the National Hockey League (NHL); the American Hockey League (AHL); the Ontario Hockey League (OHL), Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL) and Western Hockey League (WHL), all under the umbrella of the Canadian Hockey League (CHL); and the East Coast Hockey League (ECHL).

NHL, junior hockey leagues part of ‘conspiracy’ to exploit teenage players, $825M lawsuit alleges

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
so apparently NHL pay the CHL clubs for training which is a very common thing in soccer they are part of the consparicy. This is nothing more than another trying to force minimal wage onto the CHL.

Reactions: Morrison

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
And now a 3rd class action lawsuit largely against the CHL but also the NHL, AHL, ECHL is launched.

A proposed $825 million class-action claim alleges a conspiracy among the world’s top professional and amateur hockey leagues to exploit dream-chasing teenage players with one-sided contracts containing abusive restrictions on their young careers.

The claim, filed by the former junior hockey player Kobe Mohr seeking to represent potentially thousands of others over the past 10 years, takes aim at hockey’s power establishment: the National Hockey League (NHL); the American Hockey League (AHL); the Ontario Hockey League (OHL), Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL) and Western Hockey League (WHL), all under the umbrella of the Canadian Hockey League (CHL); and the East Coast Hockey League (ECHL).

NHL, junior hockey leagues part of ‘conspiracy’ to exploit teenage players, $825M lawsuit alleges
Sorry about the paywall — the Star has the story as an exclusive.

News of the new suit is reported on extensively by Rick Westhead.

The issue is that CHL players are not able to simply leave the CHL and earn a living in the AHL or ECHL — it’s NHL or nothing, and the plaintiffs are using the federal competition act to pursue the case in court. News of $500K demanded for CHL player releases is extraordinary.

All of this came out during the court approval process for the minimum wage lawsuit settlements.

Reactions: UsernameWasTaken

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I'm definitely sympathetic to the grievance expressed in the lawsuit.

I'm not sure about the legal import - how tenable a claim it is. Where is it being filed? Toronto? Presumably they won't be able to attach a class action claim to all these leagues by filing it in one Canadian province.

As an aside, the article says that more than half of NHL players come from the CHL...anyone know what the stats are for AHL and ECHL? I'm also wondering whether anyone has seen stats on how many CHL players go on to play a 'meaningful' amount of games in NHL/AHL/ECHL. Admittedly not sure how to define 'meaningful' - maybe 1 full season in the NHL or 3 full seasons in the three leagues combined?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Also i am not sure if they can force the players to form a union for CBA reasons. CBA is a legal binding contract and you have to be 18 in order to beable to sign that contract. So having 16 17 years olds and CHL have to recognize as a union and allow them a CBA then that might a violation of child labor laws in both US and canada since 15-17 year olds can't sign a legal document on their own.

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I'm definitely sympathetic to the grievance expressed in the lawsuit.

I'm not sure about the legal import - how tenable a claim it is. Where is it being filed? Toronto? Presumably they won't be able to attach a class action claim to all these leagues by filing it in one Canadian province.

As an aside, the article says that more than half of NHL players come from the CHL...anyone know what the stats are for AHL and ECHL? I'm also wondering whether anyone has seen stats on how many CHL players go on to play a 'meaningful' amount of games in NHL/AHL/ECHL. Admittedly not sure how to define 'meaningful' - maybe 1 full season in the NHL or 3 full seasons in the three leagues combined?

I assume it would have to be federal level. so why aren't they also suing in US court.

The only two beef i can see is 1) travel 2) CHL/NHL agreement saying you have to basically finish out your days at the CHL before you can go to the AHL/ECHL

Also have they ever watched soccer before, training fees to the training club happens all the time and release fees are a thing too.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I assume it would have to be federal level. so why aren't they also suing in US court.

The only two beef i can see is 1) travel 2) CHL/NHL agreement saying you have to basically finish out your days at the CHL before you can go to the AHL/ECHL

Also have they ever watched soccer before, training fees to the training club happens all the time and release fees are a thing too.

Why would it be 'federal level'? Presumably if he wants to sue all of these leagues he'd have to do it in the jurisdiction where they're operating. Re US court - that's my point...unless i'm missing something, i doubt you could start a class action claim against the AHL or ECHL in Canada. I guess both leagues have teams operating in various Canadian provinces...so maybe you could. But i don't know enough about the law to know for sure.

The "beef", as you call it, that gives the CHL a lengthy claim to players before they can play elsewhere is a legitimate one - particularly given the fact the compensation they receive for playing for CHL teams is minimal.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Why would it be 'federal level'? Presumably if he wants to sue all of these leagues he'd have to do it in the jurisdiction where they're operating. Re US court - that's my point...unless i'm missing something, i doubt you could start a class action claim against the AHL or ECHL in Canada. I guess both leagues have teams operating in various Canadian provinces...so maybe you could. But i don't know enough about the law to know for sure.

The "beef", as you call it, that gives the CHL a lengthy claim to players before they can play elsewhere is a legitimate one - particularly given the fact the compensation they receive for playing for CHL teams is minimal.

they are getting college paid for and not everyone makes it out of the CHL to go to AHL or the ECHL Anyways.

Reactions: Juniorhockeyguru

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Also i am not sure if they can force the players to form a union for CBA reasons. CBA is a legal binding contract and you have to be 18 in order to beable to sign that contract. So having 16 17 years olds and CHL have to recognize as a union and allow them a CBA then that might a violation of child labor laws in both US and canada since 15-17 year olds can't sign a legal document on their own.
Do you think it's unfair that players who enter the Q/WHL/OHL when under the age of 18 are bound by agreements between the CHL/NHL/any other league?

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
they are getting college paid for and not everyone makes it out of the CHL to go to AHL or the ECHL Anyways.
Not necessarily. The availability/breadth of college scholarships depends on how long you play on a team (& whatever deal you negotiate with the organization. Ability to obtain 'accrued scholarship time' depends on meeting other conditions once you've left the CHL team.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Do you think it's unfair that players who enter the Q/WHL/OHL when under the age of 18 are bound by agreements between the CHL/NHL/any other league?

You can't be under 18 and play in NHL/ECHL/AHL anyways regardless of that agreement. The issue is if you are 18 or older.

to even be a CHL player your parents/guardians would have to sign the CHL contract in which ever league you are part off anyways. That contract lasts until you are 20 or are consider one of 3 overage players.

But the issue is that they are accusing CHL of not allowing them to be a union and i am not sure if they can legally per child labor laws (both canada and the US) have 15-17 year olds be part of that union due that they can not legally sign the CBA document but players 18 and older can.

Btw i did say the CHL/NHL agreement is a beef i can see them having a claim.

The issue is with the CHL so why in the world has this got to do with the NHL, ECHL And AHL.

Those 3 leagues aren't legally require to pay those players well anything since their players contract is with the CHL or one of the 3 jr major leagues unless they got drafted by a NHL team and signed the entry level contract if they go undrafted then should they get anything from the lawsuit from the 3 pro leagues.

Last edited:

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Minors can be union members and covered by collective agreements.

In Ontario, for instance, Actra is the union. From their website:

All of our most vulnerable performers are protected, by ACTRA’s collective agreements such as the Independent Production Agreement (IPA) or the National Commercial Agreement (NCA) and by Ontario’s Protecting Child Performers Act.

Kids in Background Are Covered Too :

Reactions: UsernameWasTaken

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Minors can be union members and covered by collective agreements.

In Ontario, for instance, Actra is the union. From their website:

All of our most vulnerable performers are protected, by ACTRA’s collective agreements such as the Independent Production Agreement (IPA) or the National Commercial Agreement (NCA) and by Ontario’s Protecting Child Performers Act.

Kids in Background Are Covered Too :

but how can they legally sign or agree such to CBAs though. If they don't understand what the CBA says or is how can 18+ year olds make them agree to it. Since we are dealing with sports leagues that cover 2 countries in the lawsuits also two different country child labor lawsuits.

Last edited:

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
According to Westhead, the new suit is being pursued federally.

Did he explain how they've made it federal? It's hard for me to understand w/o seeing their statement of claim.

edit:

Competition Act is Canadian. Basically, it’s anti-trust legislation.

Okay. that's interesting. hopefully they release the SoC soon. i'm interested to read it.

how are they bringing in echl/ahl - just that the leagues are operating in Canada?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Did he explain how they've made it federal? It's hard for me to understand w/o seeing their statement of claim.

edit:

Okay. that's interesting. hopefully they release the SoC soon. i'm interested to read it.

how are they bringing in echl/ahl - just that the leagues are operating in Canada?

as far as i know ECHL/AHL isn't part of that CHL/NHL agreement that says CHL players not on the NHL roster has to play in the CHL until they are 20 among other stuff so why i don't understand what this has to do with those 2 leagues.

To prove conspiracy to intentional limit competition of the CHL players they have to show the CHL/WHL/OHL/QJMHL/AHL/ECHL/NHL all agreed to screw the CHL players.

AHL/NHL/ECHL has nothing to do with the whole pay issue that's between CHL and the players.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
You can't be under 18 and play in NHL/ECHL/AHL anyways regardless of that agreement. The issue is if you are 18 or older.

to even be a CHL player your parents/guardians would have to sign the CHL contract in which ever league you are part off anyways. That contract lasts until you are 20 or are consider one of 3 overage players.

But the issue is that they are accusing CHL of not allowing them to be a union and i am not sure if they can legally per child labor laws (both canada and the US) have 15-17 year olds be part of that union due that they can not legally sign the CBA document but players 18 and older can.

Btw i did say the CHL/NHL agreement is a beef i can see them having a claim.

The issue is with the CHL so why in the world has this got to do with the NHL, ECHL And AHL.

Those 3 leagues aren't legally require to pay those players well anything since their players contract is with the CHL or one of the 3 jr major leagues unless they got drafted by a NHL team and signed the entry level contract if they go undrafted then should they get anything from the lawsuit from the 3 pro leagues.
The AHL and ECHL absolutely allow 18 year old players. In fact, the AHL’s website states as much:

FAQ
What is the minimum age for an AHL player?
Per AHL By-Laws, the age limit for eligibility to compete in the American Hockey League is 18 years or over, on or before September 15 of each season of competition.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
as far as i know ECHL/AHL isn't part of that CHL/NHL agreement that says CHL players not on the NHL roster has to play in the CHL until they are 20 among other stuff so why i don't understand what this has to do with those 2 leagues.

To prove conspiracy to intentional limit competition of the CHL players they have to show the CHL/WHL/OHL/QJMHL/AHL/ECHL/NHL all agreed to screw the CHL players.
I'm not sure about the details of all the agreements (were they posted as part of the most recent CHL lawsuit?) - but presumably the agreements that exist do involve all leagues.

For example, an 18 year old CHL player is not allowed to exit the league and go and play for an AHL or ECHL team even if they have not been drafted by the NHL.

This does not mean that an 18 year old is prohibited from playing in either AHL or ECHL. However, their ability to do so is constrained if they are a CHL player.

Someone much wiser than I am can comment on the ability of players in US leagues to do the same.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I'm not sure about the details of all the agreements (were they posted as part of the most recent CHL lawsuit?) - but presumably the agreements that exist do involve all leagues.

For example, an 18 year old CHL player is not allowed to exit the league and go and play for an AHL or ECHL team even if they have not been drafted by the NHL.

This does not mean that an 18 year old is prohibited from playing in either AHL or ECHL. However, their ability to do so is constrained if they are a CHL player.

Someone much wiser than I am can comment on the ability of players in US leagues to do the same.

and i recognize that as being a fair claim as well as the travel times. But the issue is what has this to go to do with the ECHL and the AHL. like they all agree to in a plot to screw the CHL players.

Well the CHL contract doesn't end until A) team terminates it or he ages out which happens to be 20. they are saying the player after he turns 18 should be legally allowed to break his legally signed agreemnt contract to play in ECHL or the AHL.

I think contracts have release causes with them which they are claiming is ridicilous (500k) they also claim that NHL paying the training cost of a player they drafted is proving they are intentionally trying to screw the CHL player. Training fee payment is perfectly legal and happens in soccer.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I think the reason why ECHL/AHL/NHL is involved is cause they have $$$ they are after money. Its one of those pay us and it'll go away lawsuit since its the damage amount is so bloody ridiculously high.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad