Music: Never Mind the Hockey, Here's the Punk Thread!

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
If you don't know what band this is, then you don't know the true power....no....awesomeness of Punk.

Dead_Milkmen_Elsie_Cow_Logo_Hi-ResNoBG.png

3 black brothers from Detroit recorded this in 1974 and it didn't see a proper release until 2009. One of the absolute best protopunk bands out there.

Making my way through their documentary on Netfix as time allows. Not bad so far.

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
That Death LP is great and the documentary is pretty good to. They're a great band but I do think the hyperbole about them being punk before punk existed is a bit overstated. They come from the same city as the MC5 and the Stooges, so there's some obvious influences right there. That said, Keep On Knocking, Politicians and My Eyes and Freaking Out are awesome tunes.

Here are a few of my favorites from the 1970s. Some British punk, some proto-punk, some Cleveland trash, some Killed-By-Death, and the best German punk band ever (in that order).

bolt thrower

No war!
Aug 26, 2006
Love the Descendents aufheben:)

What about Pertti Kurikan Nimipäivät and their Punk Syndrom documentary Finnpin?

Last edited:

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
was always a big fan of these guys. they made quite a few appearances in H-Street skate videos in the late 80s/early 90s

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Killing Joke - s/t
Good album. I consider it post-punk, but whatever. I wonder what they sound like between that and the album Pandemonium since they went from guitar-based post-punk to industrial (also a type of post-punk IMO) over the course of 15 years or so.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Good album. I consider it post-punk, but whatever. I wonder what they sound like between that and the album Pandemonium since they went from guitar-based post-punk to industrial (also a type of post-punk IMO) over the course of 15 years or so.

They were the kings of the one-word-song-title-choruses! Post-punk is very welcome.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
I always heard about this EP but never went out of my way to find it until this weekend.

For those not familiar with the band, Minor Threat went on hiatus in the early 80s due to a band member going to college. Ian and Jeff Nelson formed a side project initially called Grand Union. Ian ended up seeing Skewbald in a dictionary and liked the name. Nelson still liked Grand Union. They came to a compromise and kept both names.

They only recorded three tracks, two of them are in the above youtube. The third song is untitled but is listed on some sites as "Wasted Life"

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I always heard about this EP but never went out of my way to find it until this weekend.

For those not familiar with the band, Minor Threat went on hiatus in the early 80s due to a band member going to college. Ian and Jeff Nelson formed a side project initially called Grand Union. Ian ended up seeing Skewbald in a dictionary and liked the name. Nelson still liked Grand Union. They came to a compromise and kept both names.

They only recorded three tracks, two of them are in the above youtube. The third song is untitled but is listed on some sites as "Wasted Life"

Woah, I can't believe I didn't know about this. This rules

bolt thrower

No war!
Aug 26, 2006
Some great stuff among the last posts. Thanx again aufheben for making this thread.

I really like the old Riistetyt stuff but this video is so comical, what the heck:laugh::laugh:

Can't go wrong with some old italian punk

One of my favourite bands of all time: THE PLASMATICS

Punxrocknyc19*

Alright, so I was going to make a thread just for contemporary punk, as even obscure, older p-rock usually has somewhat of a cult following, and thus not very hard to discover. But, it seems there isn't a general punk thread, at least not an active one, so here we have it!

*Feel free to include sub-genres, but nothing too far removed. By contemporary, I mean within the last decade. But hey, found a rare Clash demo you wanna share? Go for it!

Edit: **** it, share all the punk!

I'll start things off with a majority girl band from Minneapolis, The Soviettes. From their 2003 debut LP. I just have a thing for female vocalists.

check these bands out

enjoy.. i dont care if its a female or male vocalists as long as the music and lyrics are awesome.

and if you want add me to https://www.facebook.com/FrodoJewBear

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad