Online Series: Netflix: You

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I finished Season 2. I was enjoying it until the final episode.

1. Forty admits to killing someone to Joe. Joe basically admits killing Candace to him. Then randomly decides he has to save his sister by going to interview Doctor Nicky in NY? Then between the time Joe/Love decided to go to wedding. Forty couldn't get a hold of her?

2. The weirdo cop. They were basically fwb and he was getting jealous. Then decides to pursue her little sister for her going missing? Wtf.

3. Joe acting weird once he finds out Love is just like him.

4. I thought it was going to end with Joe/Love adopting Ellie. But nope, Joe drops the bomb and kicks her to the curb to live by herself within a minute.

5. Joe see what appears to be a women reading a book and now he's obsessed with the neighbor.

I'm sure like Dexter I will still keep watching this garbage just to see how it ends. So many plot holes and stupidity.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga

1. Forty admits to killing someone to Joe. Joe basically admits killing Candace to him. Then randomly decides he has to save his sister by going to interview Doctor Nicky in NY? Then between the time Joe/Love decided to go to wedding. Forty couldn't get a hold of her?

2. The weirdo cop. They were basically fwb and he was getting jealous. Then decides to pursue her little sister for her going missing? Wtf.

4. I thought it was going to end with Joe/Love adopting Ellie. But nope, Joe drops the bomb and kicks her to the curb to live by herself within a minute.

5. Joe see what appears to be a women reading a book and now he's obsessed with the neighbor.

I'm sure like Dexter I will still keep watching this garbage just to see how it ends. So many plot holes and stupidity.

I'm not sure why people are so critical of the show. It first appeared on the LIFETIME network for god's sake.

It isn't meant to be a work of art. It's a thriller, it's suspenseful, it's fun. Just watch it for what it is and you will definitely enjoy it a lot more.

Reactions: Prairie Habs

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Watched season one recently

I seriously doubt I'm the target demographic a show like this is aiming for but surprisingly I didn't mind it, its not the usual cookie cutter, paint by numbers tv you see now days on a lot of networks

It has enough suspense and creep factor to be interesting

Last edited:

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I'm not sure why people are so critical of the show. It first appeared on the LIFETIME network for god's sake.

It isn't meant to be a work of art. It's a thriller, it's suspenseful, it's fun. Just watch it for what it is and you will definitely enjoy it a lot more.
This. Finished it last week and I loved it. Sure...tons of plot holes. Who cares. The last couple episodes were awesome!

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

Spoiler alert!
1) joe didn't admit to killing Candace. Him and Forty wrote a script resembling the murder when they were on LSD. Once Candace told Forty to use a bit of perception he realized Joe was the killer in their script.

2) he pursued the little sister for killing Henderson, not her older sister going missing.

3) Remember, Joe planned to free the older sister. Also, Love was going to put Ellie on trial, which ticked Joe off. Joe is very protective of kids.

4) Ellie knew the rich family was the one who set up the murder. Why would she want to live with them? She had nobody after her sister died. She also hates Joe.

5) Joe's a weird motha-lucka. It's hard to gauge why he does what he does, but one thing is for sure- he loves the chase.

Last edited:

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
You reminds me of Japanese comic/animated series Death Note: a thriller that thrives on placing the protagonist in high tension situations that force him to think on his feet. Season 1 was *GREAT* at placing Joe in problems that seemed unsolvable and in which the stakes were at their highest, but whose solution didn't feel cheated and was, in fact, satisfying (Season 2....get to that in a second) . But the other side of the coin is how the world (in both cases an expy of ours) is constantly bent and broken to create these situations, and further to resolve them satisfactorily. That's perfectly acceptable up to a point, but in the case of both of these properties there comes a time for every viewer where the accumulated bullsh*t is too much to bear, the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back, this far, no farther.

And for me that moment was when

in Season 2, when a clearly disheveled woman walks into a police station in the middle of bum**** nowhere claiming her boyfriend just tried to kill her, and the cop is like well what can you do ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Yes, I understand this is supposed to make the viewer feel angry and powerless, and yes, it fits into the constant motif of how people like Joe and the neighbor cop and Henderson and the Quinns keep getting away with awful crap and how the system as a whole kinda sucks at ensuring justice for all, especially people who have fallen through the cracks, but really?? First, why is a cop giving legal advice (extremely illegal) or playing DA in deciding what does and doesn't warrant a followup, second, why is a cop in a bum**** jurisdiction where the most exciting thing to happen in the next three months is breaking up Lawrence's kid's garage band for a noise violation just like well gee I'd like to help buuuuuuuuuut WHEN A KIDNAPASSAULTATTEMPTEDMURDER CASE WALKS INTO HER STATION, third, are they not going to investigate the crime scene, or let her talk to an attorney, or followup on witnesses, or kick it upstairs, or do anything? Come on.

I'd also like to mention it kinda bugged me that Joe kept the key to his supah secret box dungeon of evil with a lanyard specifying what it was a key for, letting no less than 3 people find it, but tbh he seems like he's subconsciously trying to get caught at points, so I don't know

"So did that ruin the whole show for you, Finlandia?"

No, because the greater issue with Season 2 is how much of it is tensionless/stakeless. Season 1 was AMAZING at placing Joe in situations where the stakes were clearly defined, the dangers real, hence the tension palpable. The scene in

Peach's house

is amazing because of all the danger it represents in real time, which is why I'm more than willing, eager even, to overlook the amount of bullsh*t going on to make that work. Meanwhile Season 2 has stuff like:

We have to get Forty home....or else?

We have to be nice to the parents....or else?

We have to humor Forty on his movie script....or else?

We have to not kill Will....or else?

We have to figure out who REALLY killed Delilah...or else?

etc etc

And when they finally do put Joe in a situation akin to what it constantly did in Season 1- trapped in a hotel room with Forty (who's violently crazy now!) with a ticking clock CLEAR STAKES! REAL DANGER!- it literally just knocks Joe out with a bunch of acid and then solves his problems off camera. Or when he confronts Henderson, it's only tense for a brief moment at the end, when Henderson tries to escape (A thought: imagine if you had the same sequence of Henderson drugging Ellie, but you wait until they both pass out to reveal that Joe had been there the entire time? WOW THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN SO TENSE AND WHO CARES YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT THAT JOE IS A NINJA OR SOMETHING BECAUSE THANK G-D ELLIE ISN'T GOING TO GET ***** but he's there the entire time so she's fine, probably.)

The last two "or else?" get to the heart of the matter and why I feel Season 2 didn't click for me: a lot of the conflict is on Joe and his effort to "change". Which is great, up until it's wasted on a minor twist in the 1st episode that he hasn't actually changed at all, at which point all his blubbering about trying to be a "good person" is just the plot stalling rationalizations of a madman. Like his quest to find out who killed Delilah- if he did do it, he'd just rationalize it and change nothing. So who cares?

All of this is a damn shame. Penn Badgley is amazing in this role, he sells crazy earnestness and just out and out crazy very well.

I think Joe is the way he is because he killed his father and his mother immediately comforted him by telling him it was the right thing to do, he deserved to die. This was the only time we see genuine affection from her to her son. In his mind, if Joe is acting righteously then he will achieve the unconditional love he so desperately craves regardless of what he has to do in the name of that love. Season 2 takes this and turns it on its head by presenting Joe with the very thing he thinks he wants- unconditional love from....Love (subtle as a jackhammer). Someone upthread said he's more into the chase and I think that's accurate, what he wants is to desire unconditional love and believe he's acting toward that goal, rather than unconditional love itself- in his mind its fleeting, we saw that when the love of his mother was soon replaced with another man. Like a shark has to constantly keep moving. Season 2 gives him what he supposedly wants- unconditional love from someone who truly "gets" him- and he rejects it.

I actually think the show has some great little themes and motifs. The pointlessness of everyday life and how people cope with it with self-induced vapidity. How Joe is constantly telling people who they "really" are and getting violent and possessive when they disagree. The best moment of the show, by far, is that moment when Joe professes he did everything he did for Beck and she says the worst/best thing for that moment: "Well, who asked you??!". How people don't change, or how people sow the seeds of their own self-destruction. Great stuff going on in this cheesy lifetime show. And the best part is that most of it is communicated not through monologue but character action (the Dostoevsky quote was a little on the nose).

What I really liked was the nexus of a narcissists self-rationalization and how he may or may not have a point. By which I mean, otoh Henderson was an awful person, otoh did he truly deserve to die (I'd guess it depends if he was ***ing the women or not, but the show intentionally withholds that), on the other, other hand Joe swore he didn't want to kill him, but when he did he was like, oh well, he deserved it. It constantly plays with the fact that Joe can self-rationalize ANYTHING against that he may have a point. I mean, I'm basically sitting here wondering whether or not a pederast got what he deserved and it's 100% what the show intends. It reminds me of Taxi Driver, where the only difference between a crazed psycho and a hero was how quick he was with a gun...

Season 2 is also very repeptitive, but that's clearly intentional and works back into the theme of change. But it does make me wonder how much they have to work with, if Season 3 is ALSO the same thing....I mean would that matter? I'd watch it (hence giving Netflix a sub for at least a month), but still, I'd prefer if they moved the story forward rather than spinning in place that was Season 2).

tldr: Season 1 great, Season 2 meh, interesting ideas presented through action, would recommend/will watch again

Last edited:
Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Anyone watch any season 3 episodes yet? I’ve watched the first 2 and they were quite good. However, it’s already been announced that there will be a season 4. I’m not sure where this story can go for a fourth season.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
it’s interesting that a lot of people say that You is just a glorified Dexter ripoff (not completely without merit but whatever) and now both shows have a season premiering this year

I just watched the first episode of season 3....

I expected that ending to happen, but I certainly didn't expect it in. The. First. Episode.

What the hell.

Oh yeah?

Wait till the S3 finale

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Season 3 was the best yet imo. Just great and they did a good job making it unique and not just a cut and paste...very curious how they plan on continuing it into season 4 but I'm glad they're doing it

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Season 3 was also my favorite. Far better than season 2. The actor is just perfect for this role. It’s insane how they really have us cheering for a serial killer.

To the Dexter comparisons, not even close imo. Dexter is about killing serial killers, You is about a serial killer who doesn’t believe he is one and is just trying to better himself but clearly has some insane issues with addiction.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Just came here to hate... Lol.

Watched a few episodes with my wife. The constant internal dialogue annoys me. The lead character is not redeemable and so it wouldn't be upsetting if he were to just die.

It does remind me a lot of Dexter which I found was toast after about season 3...

One thing I did like, the art in the background is fantastic.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Season 3 was awesome. Really feeling this show. It's a dark comedy, imo.

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
I am watching season 4. I am halfway done and I am forcing myself to continue watching. This season is absolutely awful. Season 4 was turned into a murder mystery.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
I am watching season 4. I am halfway done and I am forcing myself to continue watching. This season is absolutely awful. Season 4 was turned into a murder mystery.
There was a break in release date between the two parts of season 4. Suffice to say I have not managed to force myself to check out the 2nd part of Season 4 yet.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
the second part of s4 is better than the first. it took a while to get rolling. still kind of silly, but the series always has been that.

Reactions: Tuggy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad