Online Series: Netflix: You

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Just finished the second season. Was overall pretty good, but just constantly left me wishing it was a little bit better. Worth watching though.

I can't believe that I'm seeing praise for the LSD episode and it's the highest rated episode on IMDB. I get that they established Forty as a loose cannon. But my god, he kidnaps his friend, holds him at gunpoint, and secretly gives him a ton of LSD, all so that they can write a script??? Talk about shoehorning in some story lines to create some conflict and stakes with his timeline and plan. I almost turned that episode off multiple times and it was tough to finish off the season after that

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Just finished the second season. Was overall pretty good, but just constantly left me wishing it was a little bit better. Worth watching though.

I can't believe that I'm seeing praise for the LSD episode and it's the highest rated episode on IMDB. I get that they established Forty as a loose cannon. But my god, he kidnaps his friend, holds him at gunpoint, and secretly gives him a ton of LSD, all so that they can write a script??? Talk about shoehorning in some story lines to create some conflict and stakes with his timeline and plan. I almost turned that episode off multiple times and it was tough to finish off the season after that

This show has plot holes like that in almost every episode.

I mean, he kills a woman in the middle of central park in NYC in the first season and gets away with it...

izlez

Feb 28, 2012

I mean, he kills a woman in the middle of central park in NYC in the first season and gets away with it...
Oh yeah, Love killing whatsherface in the hallway of the storage building and doing nothing about cleaning it up and everything being fine really bothered me too.

It's a flawed show that could've been better. I thought it was much better at the beginning when he was just a creepy stalker, not a guy that goes around killing everyone to solve all his problems

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

But he didn't kill anyone in central park, they survived the attack.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Oh yeah, Love killing whatsherface in the hallway of the storage building and doing nothing about cleaning it up and everything being fine really bothered me too.

It's a flawed show that could've been better. I thought it was much better at the beginning when he was just a creepy stalker, not a guy that goes around killing everyone to solve all his problems

You see Love later that episode had Candace's body in her trunk. They don't show you where she dumped it or how she cleaned up the blood at the storage place but she didn't just leave a dead body there.

But it's a better show knowing that he's doing everything for love and nothing will get in his way, or Loves either. I liked the beginning of season one with the breaking into Becks place to sniff her panties or jerk off to her outside her apartment but that can only go so far. The context of him wanting to find true love and his childhood backstory have helped make his decisions more acceptable, to me at least.

Reactions: HockeyThoughts

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
So my question isn't really about the show but the girls Joe chooses. Joe is a guy who falls for someone and sets these plans in motion just off a look. I can see why he fell for Beck, she's the hottest of the three. I can see it with Candace, not as hot as Beck but redhead rocker chick is hot. With Love I just don't see it in her at least right away. The two of them have the most in common and the love seems the realist but for looks she's a distant third. Some scenes she looks really good and others I'm not so sure about. She gives me a skinnier Kat Dennings vibe, which isn't a bad thing. I guess I'm just a Beck guy.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
So my question isn't really about the show but the girls Joe chooses. Joe is a guy who falls for someone and sets these plans in motion just off a look. I can see why he fell for Beck, she's the hottest of the three. I can see it with Candace, not as hot as Beck but redhead rocker chick is hot. With Love I just don't see it in her at least right away. The two of them have the most in common and the love seems the realist but for looks she's a distant third. Some scenes she looks really good and others I'm not so sure about. She gives me a skinnier Kat Dennings vibe, which isn't a bad thing. I guess I'm just a Beck guy.

Its more of a progression of Joe IMO. He wanted to “be better” and find someone who is caring and loving and is worried more about their relationship than vanity/fame etc. I thought love was more pretty/cute than hot and I’m pretty sure that was the point.

They also did a good job at changing loves looks in comparison to how she was feeling which is why she looks better sometimes than others (I noticed this as well). It makes her seem more real than the other two I guess.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
I guess I'm just a Beck guy.

Yeah, me too. Also thought S1 was better. Actually I was so pissed
Joe killed Beck at the end of S1 that I really had to force myself to start watching S2
I think in the end S2 had too much nonsense for me, I didn't care much for that "Hendy" storyline and I thought Forty was a pretty silly/dumb character - that LSD episode was just so WTF for example
And I know this is easy to say afterwards but
I kinda felt the whole Love thing coming, it just would not have made sense if Forty was the only f***ed up sibling - maybe I didn't think Love would be a stone cold killer as well, but I definitely expected something wicked
Having said that, I also have a theory that
Joe didn't really kill Beck and that the "hello neighbour" by the pool is Beck"
:D

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

So you didn't pay any attention to the show at all? Because uh...yeah you should re-watch that episode you're talking about in the first part of your spoiler, again.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Its more of a progression of Joe IMO. He wanted to “be better” and find someone who is caring and loving and is worried more about their relationship than vanity/fame etc. I thought love was more pretty/cute than hot and I’m pretty sure that was the point.

They also did a good job at changing loves looks in comparison to how she was feeling which is why she looks better sometimes than others (I noticed this as well). It makes her seem more real than the other two I guess.

The actress playing Love did a great job changing emotions throughout each episode. Were she went from hot, to average to kinda not attractive Beck was just Beck the whole time with little change. Which is why I can see how Joe fell for her and loved her more than Beck, I think the Beck thing was infatuation gone bad. Similar to Candace as they were more shallow people while Love was much more emotional and emotionally damaged like Joe.

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
So you didn't pay any attention to the show at all? Because uh...yeah you should re-watch that episode you're talking about in the first part of your spoiler, again.
Somebody else mentioned that they showed Love shoving her in a trunk. I guess I missed that as it was harder and harder to devote my full attention.

So it's not some plot hole and they "addressed it". But a person was just killed. Can we dive into Love's mindset a bit more? It was in a public place. Can we see her erasing camera footage? Getting cleaning supplies? Developing a plan to carry out and dispose of the body without being noticed? Anybody could walk in at any time and she had a big mess to clean up, with established security camera's around the building. That could have, and should have been half a season. Instead, killing somebody just turns into shooting a goon in a Bond movie.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Somebody else mentioned that they showed Love shoving her in a trunk. I guess I missed that as it was harder and harder to devote my full attention.

So it's not some plot hole and they "addressed it". But a person was just killed. Can we dive into Love's mindset a bit more? It was in a public place. Can we see her erasing camera footage? Getting cleaning supplies? Developing a plan to carry out and dispose of the body without being noticed? Anybody could walk in at any time and she had a big mess to clean up, with established security camera's around the building. That could have, and should have been half a season. Instead, killing somebody just turns into shooting a goon in a Bond movie.
Nobody wants to see a half season of a person cleaning and dumping a body though, that is never going to happen.

This show takes liberties with things like that, they acknowledged that she did something with the body, there was no need to show an extended cut of her cleaning the site, cutting up the body, dumping it, etc.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Sigh...
Her family is rich, they literally covered up her first murder and she framed her brother for it because of the sexual abuse angle and she felt the nanny was being predatory to her brother, which she was, but yeah...I digress. She has pull, she has resources Joe didn't. She can get that sorted out with $$ and she did.

They already planted that when she explained how her family covered it up, etc when she was explaining WHO she was to Joe when he was in his own box.

I am not trying to be rude, but I think you need to rewatch the 2nd season, if you aren't going to immerse yourself into that world and complain its not plausible, then the show probably isn't for you.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
Sigh...
Her family is rich, they literally covered up her first murder and she framed her brother for it because of the sexual abuse angle and she felt the nanny was being predatory to her brother, which she was, but yeah...I digress. She has pull, she has resources Joe didn't. She can get that sorted out with $$ and she did.

They already planted that when she explained how her family covered it up, etc when she was explaining WHO she was to Joe when he was in his own box.

I am not trying to be rude, but I think you need to rewatch the 2nd season, if you aren't going to immerse yourself into that world and complain its not plausible, then the show probably isn't for you.
So what we see is: a woman getting stabbed in the neck in a public place and later that body in a trunk for a brief moment.

What we are supposed to infer: She called up her rich parents, told them she murdered someone again, they were cool with it, they called up the murder-cleanup-crew they have on retainer, bribed the owners of the storage building and any customers that came in, and came up with a way to dispose of the body without getting caught or just bribing everyone along the way.

For me, that seems like flawed writing. If I'm going to care about these characters and their actions, you're going to need to show some of these things. Because based on this, it feels like they can go around killing anyone anywhere without any consequences.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
So what we see is: a woman getting stabbed in the neck in a public place and later that body in a trunk for a brief moment.

What we are supposed to infer: She called up her rich parents, told them she murdered someone again, they were cool with it, they called up the murder-cleanup-crew they have on retainer, bribed the owners of the storage building and any customers that came in, and came up with a way to dispose of the body without getting caught or just bribing everyone along the way.

For me, that seems like flawed writing. If I'm going to care about these characters and their actions, you're going to need to show some of these things. Because based on this, it feels like they can go around killing anyone anywhere without any consequences.

She paid for an investigator, she has the means to hire the people she needs to, to get stuff done. She found his cube, she is far more cunning than we realized when that part was revealed and that is what you are hung up on, because they didn't lay that all out for you?

Also you keep saying public place, there might be camera's on the outside of the building, but Joe isn't exactly hiding people that he brings into his storage unit either, so there's likely no cameras in that hall for privacy reasons to the units. So she stabbed someone, stuffed her in her trunk, cleaned up the mess and locked Joe in there. You don't think someone watching that camera didn't notice the other 2 people that went in and didn't come out until later for one and etc? Dude, seriously?

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
She paid for an investigator, she has the means to hire the people she needs to, to get stuff done. She found his cube, she is far more cunning than we realized when that part was revealed and that is what you are hung up on, because they didn't lay that all out for you?

Also you keep saying public place, there might be camera's on the outside of the building, but Joe isn't exactly hiding people that he brings into his storage unit either, so there's likely no cameras in that hall for privacy reasons to the units. So she stabbed someone, stuffed her in her trunk, cleaned up the mess and locked Joe in there. You don't think someone watching that camera didn't notice the other 2 people that went in and didn't come out until later for one and etc? Dude, seriously?
Hiring a private investigator to follow someone is a lot different than hiring someone to cover up a murder.
They found a way to cover it up 20 years ago. Kind of explained it away with money and power. Have they done it many times since then? Do they have go to people? Did her parents get involved again? Did they struggle with the decision?

I don't need it laid out because I don't understand. I need it laid out because that is how you tell a compelling story. A murder and cover-up in a story like this needs details, struggles, and conflict. Otherwise I don't care about a murder (the whole plot of the show)

and as a note, on page 1 of this thread I wrote "I'm not exactly thrilled with a few things went towards the end and it makes me question how good a 2nd season will be". That was in reference to Joe just starting to kill everyone. The first half of the first season was "holy crap this guy is crazy. He might even be crazy enough to murder someone!" I found that interesting. Now it's just "Well, there goes ANOTHER one. Whatever."

Maybe the show just isn't for me

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Hiring a private investigator to follow someone is a lot different than hiring someone to cover up a murder.
They found a way to cover it up 20 years ago. Kind of explained it away with money and power. Have they done it many times since then? Do they have go to people? Did her parents get involved again? Did they struggle with the decision?

I don't need it laid out because I don't understand. I need it laid out because that is how you tell a compelling story. A murder and cover-up in a story like this needs details, struggles, and conflict. Otherwise I don't care about a murder (the whole plot of the show)

and as a note, on page 1 of this thread I wrote "I'm not exactly thrilled with a few things went towards the end and it makes me question how good a 2nd season will be". That was in reference to Joe just starting to kill everyone. The first half of the first season was "holy crap this guy is crazy. He might even be crazy enough to murder someone!" I found that interesting. Now it's just "Well, there goes ANOTHER one. Whatever."

Maybe the show just isn't for me

Throughout that whole scene with her parents, you saw their influence with money and power, her husband cheats and it's kept a secret, etc. They pay away problems like most rich and powerful people do in most shows.

It's clear the show really isn't for you when you are nitpicking probably the most inconsequential part of the details. Yeah she killed people and got rid of them, I mean Joe literally meat grinded a dude and got rid of him in dumpsters, for me that was weird as someone would have complained about the smell and reported it and someone would have investigated that, but no one did but I am not going to nitpick that because it is what it is, in THAT world for the show, that works. It's not a perfect show at all, it's dumb at times, but it's an intriguing show.

The whole 2nd season is Joe trying to prove to himself that he doesn't need to kill and even goes as far as freeing the guy that he goes on to be friends with after keeping him captive and finally starting to trust him and even helped him with his medication.

It's also clear she might have killed in the time she killed the Nanny and "Amy Adam" with how she does it with such ease and very little to no remorse. In the first season, yeah Joe sort of just goes on a killing spree when he kills 3 people (I think, I can't remember) but in Season 2, he kills 1 guy and the 1 guy is a sick f***er that actually deserved it. I might need to give it a watch again to see the details about Love's character. But yeah, the show is flawed, but actually nitpicking that detail, it's clear you didn't like it and you're trying to make sense of something you didn't like, that's fine.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
The actress playing Love did a great job changing emotions throughout each episode. Were she went from hot, to average to kinda not attractive Beck was just Beck the whole time with little change. Which is why I can see how Joe fell for her and loved her more than Beck, I think the Beck thing was infatuation gone bad. Similar to Candace as they were more shallow people while Love was much more emotional and emotionally damaged like Joe.

I thought the actress who played Love was really talented. She was one of the best at showing her emotions through her facial expressions, specifically in her eyes.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I watched Season 1. I was enjoying it until it went all Dexter. It was somewhat believable he was stalking her place and at a bar. But when he was just bouncing around the house without them noticing is where I started to lose interest. I know it's suppose to just be mindless TV but he pilot was promising. I'm going to check out Season 2 when I get a chance but I'm sure it's more of the same.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I watched Season 1. I was enjoying it until it went all Dexter. It was somewhat believable he was stalking her place and at a bar. But when he was just bouncing around the house without them noticing is where I started to lose interest. I know it's suppose to just be mindless TV but he pilot was promising. I'm going to check out Season 2 when I get a chance but I'm sure it's more of the same.

It is. Even more so.

Reactions: SouthGeorge

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad