Confirmed with Link: Nemeth Arbitration Aug 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
As of now not much, but that just isn’t a statement about the Avs. The NHLPA just got a nice comparable contract.

Ceci is going to be a much uglier comparable this offseason. Plus, as has been pointed out, Nemeth had a very good stat line. There probably won’t be too many occasions a 20 min +27 defenseman isn’t worth $2.5m.

Reactions: 21

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Ceci is going to be a much uglier comparable this offseason. Plus, as has been pointed out, Nemeth had a very good stat line. There probably won’t be too many occasions a 20 min +27 defenseman isn’t worth $2.5m.

Just because there will be uglier contracts doesn’t make this not a comparable to use. I don’t think Nemeth is a 20 minute defensemen either. He was used that way and did okay all things considered, but he is a bottom pairing guy though and through. To me this raises that bar. If an arbitration eligible bottom pairing defensemen gets played above their head and does okay, they now have this to point to.

Reactions: UncleRisto

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
$2,500,000 one year deal and then at age of 26 Nemeth will be an unrestricted free agent, I take it (my personal guess was $2 million). I'm very thankful for the Avalanche giving him the chance last year and I am happy Nemeth took the chance.

On the negative side a longer contract would have been great but with the very strong future competition on defensemen in Colorado Nemeth will have to prove himself again (he will need to take another step forward which will be really challenging for him).

If his shoulder(s) has been healing well we may see a slightly better version of Nemeth this season, it will be interesting to follow and I wish Nemeth dealing with this preassure to deliver (I think he will).

Last edited:

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Just because there will be uglier contracts doesn’t make this not a comparable to use. I don’t think Nemeth is a 20 minute defensemen either. He was used that way and did okay all things considered, but he is a bottom pairing guy though and through. To me this raises that bar. If an arbitration eligible bottom pairing defensemen gets played above their head and does okay, they now have this to point to.

Well you are talking about a rather young defenseman who was selected for the Swedish national team last year (but he had to say no because of his upcoming surgery). Sweden has lots of good defensemen and the competition is massive. Bednar likes Nemeth, the Swedish national coach likes Nemeth but you don't and it's ok, we are allowed to have different opinions.

I highly doubt Sweden would have won the 2012 gold in the world junior championsships without Nemeth, he is a good player when used correctly. Arguably the same could be said about the Texas Stars winning the Calder Cup trophy 2014 but the 2012 WJC gold is a much better obvious example.

Last edited:

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
One year is prefect, I don't really care what he's making TBH as long as it's a one year deal. Let the kids step in when they're ready.

Is anyone else surprised Barberio was the one they decided to give a multi-year deal to? I've always through Nemeth was a bit better than Barberio.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
I was kind of rooting for Nemeth to move on but I like the one year deal. Just keep him away from Barrie or Girard, especially Girard, and I'm fine with him in the lineup. The money makes me worry that he'll regularly get the nod over Barberio when healthy, when I think it should be a 50/50 split at best, but whatever.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Don’t really care. He will absolutely help the Avs this year even if he ideally should be a 6/7.

1 year from UFA. Plenty of motivation for Nemeth to give it his all this year before probably moving onto some team who overpays him next summer.

Considering his age and upcoming UFA status, chances are we are about to experience the best season of hockey Patrik Nemeth ever plays at 2.5M on the books. I think that’s fine.

Reactions: klozge

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I was kind of rooting for Nemeth to move on but I like the one year deal. Just keep him away from Barrie or Girard, especially Girard, and I'm fine with him in the lineup. The money makes me worry that he'll regularly get the nod over Barberio when healthy, when I think it should be a 50/50 split at best, but whatever.

He will play with one of them for sure, Barrie most likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad