Management Neely & Sweeney: We have higher expectations than just making playoffs

77bestever*

and how has Tallon built the core in Florida??? Those useless picks;)

Far different scenario. They were building from scratch. We are working around a cup winning nucleus. They are Florida, we are Boston. big difference.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
When you are close you go for it. That's sports in 2016. I guess when the Kings won the cup from the last playoff spot two years ago, according to you they should have maybe re tooled. I am guessing they made the right choice. Again, we are a large market team that has the highest ticket or one of in all the land. That demands you go for it. We are not Edmonton.

I love how everybody grasps at the Kings winning it a few years ago. It happened this 1 time so it can happen to us! No. It won't. You'll be complaining next season if we trade for these pieces, lose in the 1st round, and then suck again.

OConnellsProtege

Nov 23, 2011
I like Sweeney but when folk are asking for most of his roster fillers to be moved first year as GM that's a little scary. Perhaps a very good thing Gretzky is our head scouting dude.

As much as I would like to see a big roster turnover tomorrow, I am aware that it's not happening. These roster fillers are definitely a stop gap to (assuming a good chunk of our prospects work out) a better future. I just dislike the choice of roster fillers (but it's not like he had much to choose from to begin with) and am guilty of being impatient at times lol.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Far different scenario. They were building from scratch. We are working around a cup winning nucleus. They are Florida, we are Boston. big difference.

our initial conversation stemmed from you stating picks being "useless", I rebutted that picks are incredibly important, Tallon inherited some talent when he arrived in Florida, but has both drafted and scouted very well much as he did building the Hawks

Sweeney inherited a mess of expensive problems in Boston, Tallon arrived with almost a clean slate to work with

Still waiting for your response to the post you made in #32 that picks are useless?

norwoodmustang

Jul 29, 2005
Norwood, MA USA

The cup winning team was 5 years ago. Recchi, Ryder, Thomas, Kaberle, Horton, Lucic, Boychuck, Seguin, Ference, Campbell, Paille, Thornton, Peverly are all gone. That's 13 guys from the 20 we iced, and you can add Savard and Hamilton as losses who didn't play in those playoffs.

People forget how this is an entirely different team. We are building around a core of 4 or 5 players (46, 63, 37, 40 in particular) who played on that team, with some guys who may or may not join that core in years to come (47, 88 and 51 for example). It's not just about "getting 3 or 4 players" and walking home with the cup. These young/new players and/or the players you get in trade or free agency this summer need to gel and then gain the experience to be able to win at that level. They need to go through playoff wars, like the cup winning team did in 2009 and 2010. Chicago, LA, Pittsburgh all did that as well. Learning what it takes to win is just as important as the players themselves. From 2007-2011 the Bruins picked up character guys and vets who had cup experience like Ward, Recchi, Thornton, and Ference, not to mention Chara. Building a team and an identity doesn't come from one or two trades alone, it's going to take time.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
How many players you think the Bruins should get to make them contenders? They aren't right now.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I love how everybody grasps at the Kings winning it a few years ago. It happened this 1 time so it can happen to us! No. It won't. You'll be complaining next season if we trade for these pieces, lose in the 1st round, and then suck again.

I also don't know how this team can be compared to LA's team right now.

77bestever*

How many players you think the Bruins should get to make them contenders? They aren't right now.

3-Top six winger, top 2 dman and a 3-4 dman. Then I say we can win it all.

For example, Ladd, Yandle, Polak. I believe that puts us with Washington come playoff time. Assuming Rask can match Holtby.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006

For example, Ladd, Yandle, Polak. I believe that puts us with Washington come playoff time. Assuming Rask can match Holtby.

What do you think the Bruins can offer to get such a haul? You do know that the Bruins, if buying, are in a position of weakness. They must overpay. You got 3 players that will wipe out assets that Sweeney has acquired and The team had already. It's no realistic.

Of the players you mention, only one is a defenseman. They need at least two top defenseman. Nobody is giving those away. What you mentioned reminds me of Milbury, when he was with the Islanders. They still haven't recovered from his mistakes. I don't want them to mortgage the future with a bad attempt at getting better. This team is flawed. It'll take another year to straighten out, possibly two. The good thing is that they have some pieces in place. Yes they will be older but you need vets to win, not just kids.

77bestever*

.....that should be easy.

And why cant it be done ? Chances are all three are traded.

Plus I used them as examples. It could be 3 other guys. And it is Neely and Sweeney that are saying they expect more then a playoff team. Well if that's the case. They better get to work.

77bestever*

I might be able to get on board with this, but if we are trading away top prospects like Subban, Koko etc and SJ's 1st rd pick as part of packages to get players here, then I want someone else over Ladd and Yandle. I am ok with a guy like Polak or Cowen as the depth #4 Dman, but for that #1-2 D I want Shattenkirk/Trouba/Pietrangelo as I don't think much of Yandle. As for the top line winger I would much rather go after Boedker than Ladd. The only way I would also target Ladd is if we had to deal say Krejci or Spooner in a deal for the 1-2 Dman.

And I can get on board with what your saying as well. Time for Sweeney and Neely to step up and put there mouths where the fans money is.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008

That's some high assumptions. Holtby having his best season to date, and Rask having his worse?

77bestever*

our initial conversation stemmed from you stating picks being "useless", I rebutted that picks are incredibly important, Tallon inherited some talent when he arrived in Florida, but has both drafted and scouted very well much as he did building the Hawks

Sweeney inherited a mess of expensive problems in Boston, Tallon arrived with almost a clean slate to work with

Still waiting for your response to the post you made in #32 that picks are useless?

You corrected me on the Teravainen (sp) deal. Bad on me. However, that's one example of a draft pick making a difference for two teams that have 5 cups in the last six years.

And I am still waiting for your response to M Jones. C Miller and a number 1 for Looch. Seems to me LA did just what I want done now which you fail to acknowledge. Cups are not won with draft picks. They are won with grizzled veterans in their primes for the most part.

Besides, How many picks do we need ? We have the 3 kids from last season. Heinan, Ko Ko, Vetrano, JFK, Subban, and a few more with NHL potential. Then 4 picks this year in the first two rounds. I mean cmon, I think we can spare a few kids in order to satisfy the fan base paying one of the highest prices in the league for everything from a ticket to a beer. I mean, If we are not going to go for it...(And I say they do), Then lets trade Krejci and Bergie and Chara and Marchand. Why have them ? I don't think they deserve to lose the next five years on average teams.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
You corrected me on the Teravainen (sp) deal. Bad on me. However, that's one example of a draft pick making a difference for two teams that have 5 cups in the last six years.

And I am still waiting for your response to M Jones. C Miller and a number 1 for Looch. Seems to me LA did just what I want done now which you fail to acknowledge. Cups are not won with draft picks. They are won with grizzled veterans in their primes for the most part.

Besides, How many picks do we need ? We have the 3 kids from last season. Heinan, Ko Ko, Vetrano, JFK, Subban, and a few more with NHL potential. Then 4 picks this year in the first two rounds. I mean cmon, I think we can spare a few kids in order to satisfy the fan base paying one of the highest prices in the league for everything from a ticket to a beer. I mean, If we are not going to go for it...(And I say they do), Then lets trade Krejci and Bergie and Chara and Marchand. Why have them ? I don't think they deserve to lose the next five years on average teams.

2011 Bruins

Bergeron
Krejci
Marchand
Lucic

4 of their top 6 forwards were draft picks.

Also add in Seguin.

Those first four guys being drafted by the Bruins changed the fortunes of the entire organization.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
The great thing about sports is they hold a new tournament for the title every year.

Sometimes the best way to win one is to realize this year isnt going to be your year, so focus on the next one.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

They could do it in as little as two moves. First line, elite scoring forward, and a number one defenseman. Problem is, both of those holes are really difficult to fill.

More realistically, they'll do it in 5. 4 3rd line forwards, and a number 7 d man...:naughty:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
The great thing about sports is they hold a new tournament for the title every year.

Sometimes the best way to win one is to realize this year isnt going to be your year, so focus on the next one.

That seems to be obvious to most reasonable people here. Well, except for Cam and Donnie and their "higher expectations". Like I tell my boss all the time, you can expect all you want, but what's going to happen is what's going to happen, lofty expectations aside.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
They could do it in as little as two moves. First line, elite scoring forward, and a number one defenseman. Problem is, both of those holes are really difficult to fill.

More realistically, they'll do it in 5. 4 3rd line forwards, and a number 7 d man...:naughty:

They could do it in one, theoretically. Comes down to the cost. My point was that it's not as easy as people think. If I'm a GM, I'm squeezing Sweeney for assets more than others. Bruins aren't in a good position to trade. I think they do the latter of course.

jdz

May 22, 2013
That seems to be obvious to most reasonable people here. Well, except for Cam and Donnie and their "higher expectations". Like I tell my boss all the time, you can expect all you want, but what's going to happen is what's going to happen, lofty expectations aside.

Haha im sure your boss loves hearing that. :p

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
They could do it in one, theoretically. Comes down to the cost. My point was that it's not as easy as people think. If I'm a GM, I'm squeezing Sweeney for assets more than others. Bruins aren't in a good position to trade. I think they do the latter of course.

Absolutely. It's very difficult to find and obtain true impact players in this league. If you don't draft them, chances are you don't have any. This is why the trade that won't be mentioned has such a devastating impact. That was your franchise player. That was your elite offensive force that powers the boat. And your moronic GM/coach combo who were in love with grinders devalued it and gave it away for pennies on the dollar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad