Management Neely & Sweeney: We have higher expectations than just making playoffs

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Cam seems to like where the Bruins are at right now.

At the start of the season, the questions were about where the Bruins saw themselves — as a Stanley Cup contender, or a team solidly in the playoff picture, or a bubble team with the potential to miss the postseason for a second straight year.

It was hard to get a real answer from anyone in management at that point. Team president Cam Neely, even when pressed, wouldn’t make a prediction for the team he had watched new general manager Don Sweeney create. His assessment ultimately came down to: “I don’t have a crystal ball.â€

No one wanted to commit.

As CEO Charlie Jacobs said at the time, “We need to focus on the big picture, and the big picture isn’t necessarily going to be measured by springtime. I think big picture, which I’ll reiterate again, is to get back to the Stanley Cup Finals and hopefully win again. That needs to be our focus, and sometimes that takes a longer-term vision and some patience.â€

Long term? Forget that.

The Bruins have swept well beyond some of the teams expected to be at the top of the East — Tampa Bay, anyone? — and are able to look at this season in a very different manner. It’s no longer wait and see. It’s happening now.

Asked last week about the expectations now around the Bruins and about his reticence to make predictions at the start of the season, Neely said, “I think we’re a playoff team. But one of the reasons I don’t want to come out and say we’re just a playoff team [is that] we have higher expectations than that.

“But it’s a process along the way. So, I don’t want people thinking that’s our goal here is to be a playoff team. We want to compete so we’re putting ourselves in a good position to be a playoff team, but we still feel we can improve and e’re going to try to improve as the season goes along.â€

badbrewin

Sponsor
Jan 13, 2007
Montreal
If those expectations are realistic, ie: down in round 2, then yes, I'd say it's fair to expect something just beyond getting to the playoffs.

They need to figure out how to land a solid #2 or 2B d-man; otherwise a round 2 exit is the peak of what they can aspire to.

When I clicked on the article, I thought for a sec that Don had his hand on Neely's leg. :naughty:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
If those expectations are realistic, ie: down in round 2, then yes, I'd say it's fair to expect something just beyond getting to the playoffs.

They need to figure out how to land a solid #2 or 2B d-man; otherwise a round 2 exit is the peak of what they can aspire to.

When I clicked on the article, I thought for a sec that Don had his hand on Neely's leg.
:naughty:

_F5T0314A.jpg

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014
I hadn't realised that this was going to be a hockey-management slash fanfiction.:naughty:

This actually answers the when does sweeney let us know thread. Now that makes me concerned that they will burn team assets on a rental player, which is always a gamble, and is probably a bad idea, since this team needs some pretty big additions if they're going to face a likely road of an enhanced Montreal-Washington-Dallas in the playoffs. As much as I've enjoyed the thought of the Bruins getting to 1st in the division, I don't see them as a strong cup contender this season, and would rather they continue to plan a year or two out.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
I can't think of any move that D. Sweeney has done that I would be overly
critical about. The B's have lots of chips to spend on a trade, so I'm not
too worried he'll mortgage the future. As long as he keep's SJ #1 pick and
the player he gets back will be with the B's for a few years I'll be okay.
Even if he trades the SJ #1, but gets back a #2/3 D'man or higher that
will be around a few years I'll be alright.

shackattack

Dec 9, 2015
I hadn't realised that this was going to be a hockey-management slash fanfiction.:naughty:

This actually answers the when does sweeney let us know thread. Now that makes me concerned that they will burn team assets on a rental player, which is always a gamble, and is probably a bad idea, since this team needs some pretty big additions if they're going to face a likely road of an enhanced Montreal-Washington-Dallas in the playoffs. As much as I've enjoyed the thought of the Bruins getting to 1st in the division, I don't see them as a strong cup contender this season, and would rather they continue to plan a year or two out.

Smart move.But hey Neely sat in room and watched Seguin trade go down

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I blame Neely and these words for this weekend(joking).

If both Krug and Krejci are hurt we should see how they see this team and what are their goals for the season.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
If Krug is expected to be out hurt for more than 3 weeks and DS makes no moves soon, we have our answer. It means that this season is a throw away season. It's time for DS to &#^ or get off the pot. If they expect to make the playoffs they have to make a move or three SOON. If they don't, then I'd say that it's apparent that we're in for a mini tank, and in for a sell-off of some assets.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
If the Bruins had made better moves in the offseason than Connolly and Hayes, they'd be in the mix.

Ultimately, pro scouting has let them down once again.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
If a player can't handle the so-called "pressure" created when a Prez/GM has high expectations...they shouldn't be in the NHL.

Players need to play.

I think the players have shown everything you need to know about this team over the last 3 games. 3 chances to step up and take control of the division, three losses. And bad losses at that. No silver lining. No we played hard but didn't get the bounces. Just sub par effort, and sub par play. Neely can have all the heightened expectations he wants, the reality is that this team is not constructed very well.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
If the Bruins had made better moves in the offseason than Connolly and Hayes, they'd be in the mix.

Ultimately, pro scouting has let them down once again.

Ummm...they ARE in the mix. Also, I am way more concerned about the D than I am about the F's.

ps Connolly was acquired last season by a different GM.

77bestever*

I guess they think they can do that with 2-3-4 AHL players suiting up every night.

Why has Joe Morrow not been given a chance ?

I never thought much of Sweeney as a player. I thought he was KRUG like with less offensive skills and was a turn over machine....And who would not look good playing with a God ?....That said, He gets his chance in the next three weeks to show us he can expand on what he did at the draft. I thought he did what he had to do and I like what we got. But now it is time to use some of the chips he has to get us a wing for Krejci, and number 1-2 dman and a number 3-4 dman.

LADD, YANDLE, and a defensive minded 3-4 guy would go a long way to making this team a contender. At least for the EAST.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I guess they think they can do that with 2-3-4 AHL players suiting up every night.

Why has Joe Morrow not been given a chance ?

I never thought much of Sweeney as a player. I thought he was KRUG like with less offensive skills and was a turn over machine....And who would not look good playing with a God ?....That said, He gets his chance in the next three weeks to show us he can expand on what he did at the draft. I thought he did what he had to do and I like what we got. But now it is time to use some of the chips he has to get us a wing for Krejci, and number 1-2 dman and a number 3-4 dman.

LADD, YANDLE, and a defensive minded 3-4 guy
would go a long way to making this team a contender. At least for the EAST.

That's atleast 2 1st round picks+ 3 prospects, kills the prospect pool and the team have cap problems/age problems again, everything Sweeney is trying to avoid,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad