Needs versus Gets

crystal ball

Mar 30, 2007
I don't know, folks. Maybe I'm alone here, but I watched every Habs game last year, and I thought what they needed was another mobile, tough third or fourth liner to complement Prust, a stay-at-home D with some size and a centreman who could play PK minutes and win faceoffs. Yet, what they got was yet another small, aging forward whose numbers are dropping and costs a lot of money, and a fighter who plays six minutes a game on a team that's supposed to be rolling four lines of speed to be successful. I don't understand what Bergevin's doing here. Am I blind?

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
Offseason just started. Everybody has needs and those players agents know it full well.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Who have you rather pick? Considering that you have to give him the exact same contract, or even a little bit more?

There is not a many \perfect big gritty power forward that can scores/ available on the market at a decent cost

Last edited:

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Need a big rugged crease clearing D Man and we get more competitive

Sthabs

Apr 7, 2006
There is a huge difference between what we need and what we can get.
Every teams wants those big forwards or rugged D, when u have them u dont let them go unless for an overpayment in most cases, and when they re UFA they get overpaid and terms are too long .
Its easy to say we need this and we should ve got this guy, it s a much different thing to get him.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I'd rather we stand pat then sign the guys we have. I think so far MB is looking to make the team worse.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Ryan been good to get. He would be good with Galchenyuk, giving him a little room to show his skills. Ottawa only gave up parts, a meh player, late first round pick and decent but not stud prospect.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I don't know, folks. Maybe I'm alone here, but I watched every Habs game last year, and I thought what they needed was another mobile, tough third or fourth liner to complement Prust, a stay-at-home D with some size and a centreman who could play PK minutes and win faceoffs. Yet, what they got was yet another small, aging forward whose numbers are dropping and costs a lot of money, and a fighter who plays six minutes a game on a team that's supposed to be rolling four lines of speed to be successful. I don't understand what Bergevin's doing here. Am I blind?

I agree with you all they needed was Clutterbuck.. & Scuderi...

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
We need a culture change and a management structure that isn't arrogant and complacent.

We get Bob Gainey 2.0

ZARTONK

Headscratcher!
Jul 4, 2008
Montreal
It literally has been 10 hours since free agency started!!!!! 10 hours!!!!! The season starts in two MONTHS!!!

Jesus....

JT3

May 27, 2013
Its no wonder other fans in the league view us habs fans as ********** pathetic. Marc Bergevin doesn't sign a dream team on the first day of free agency and everybody loses their minds.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Fire Bergevin he's terrible we were the worst team last year

Gainey didn't have "the worst team" at any point in his tenure.

To be fair we have far better building blocks - a Norris winner in Subban, two young studs in Gally, Galchy, a quickly developing Eller and a point producing Pacioretty - but seeing all our divisional rivals except Buffalo improve their on-ice product for next season really peeves me off.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
It literally has been 10 hours since free agency started!!!!! 10 hours!!!!! The season starts in two MONTHS!!!

Jesus....

Yeah, I know! Wake up and show some interest, people! Honestly, our board's mantra of "Be patient" is a little too stoic for my taste.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Its no wonder other fans in the league view us habs fans as ********** pathetic. Marc Bergevin doesn't sign a dream team on the first day of free agency and everybody loses their minds.

They view us that way? As if it's some false perception. It IS pathetic. People need to chill.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Gainey didn't have "the worst team" at any point in his tenure.

To be fair we have far better building blocks - a Norris winner in Subban, two young studs in Gally, Galchy, a quickly developing Eller and a point producing Pacioretty - but seeing all our divisional rivals except Buffalo improve their on-ice product for next season really peeves me off.

I usually disagree with you. But not now. It feels every GM in our division went on a downtown shopping spree while we got stuck at Dollarama. Where we somehow managed to spend $8 million dollars...

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Ryan been good to get. He would be good with Galchenyuk, giving him a little room to show his skills. Ottawa only gave up parts, a meh player, late first round pick and decent but not stud prospect.

I wouldnt be surprised if Silfversberg end up having a more productive career than Ryan...

and they got a 1st and a prospect...

equivalent would be for us to give Gallagher or Galchenyuk, 1st, prospect...

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc

Mobile, tough 3rd or 4th liner to compliment Prust. -George Parros - Check

Stay at home D with some size. - Jarred Tinordi - Davis Drewiske - Check

Centerman who can play PK and win faceoffs. -T. Plekanec - Daniel Briere - Check

Briere can kill penalties but his forte is PP and by using Briere it will conserve energy for Plekanec. Now Tomas's play five on five and PK, will be top notch without tiring him out before the playoffs start.

You need to refocus on needs, if one type of player is too expensive and dividing responsibilities accomplishes the same goals by signing a different player, then in Briere's case makes the PP better and gives depth at center how do you lose? It's a win/win from what I see.:nod:

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I wouldnt be surprised if Silfversberg end up having a more productive career than Ryan...

and they got a 1st and a prospect...

equivalent would be for us to give Gallagher or Galchenyuk, 1st, prospect...

Galchenyuk is worth way more than silfvergberg. gallagher is closer, but even then, he outproduced him last year. Can't forget that Noesen isn't some nobody either, though.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I usually disagree with you. But not now. It feels every GM in our division went on a downtown shopping spree while we got stuck at Dollarama. Where we somehow managed to spend $8 million dollars...

Boston lost Horton, Jagr, Peverley and Seguin, acquired Iginla and Eriksson... they didnt gain anything at all...

Ottawa lost Gonchar, Alfredsson, Regin, gained MacArthur, Ryan... they'll be more or less the same...

Toronto lost MacArthur, gained Clarkson... doubt they'll be much better...

Buffalo didnt add/lost anyone...

NJ replaced Clarkson by Clowe, no improvement there... oh, and workhorse Ryder! ;)

Philly got Lecavalier, more or less the same as previous seasons, great offense, **** defense and **** goaltending...

NYR went with Dominic Moore and... Pouliot...

NYI went with reclamation projects in Bouchard and Regin...

FLO ? niet WSH ? niet CAR ? niet (Komisarek)

TB got Filippula, but lose Lecavalier, no improvement...

and for most of these teams, it cost them WAY more than 8Mil... as much as I dislike Briere, the deal in itself isnt that bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad