Needs versus Gets

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
I don't know, folks. Maybe I'm alone here, but I watched every Habs game last year, and I thought what they needed was another mobile, tough third or fourth liner to complement Prust, a stay-at-home D with some size and a centreman who could play PK minutes and win faceoffs. Yet, what they got was yet another small, aging forward whose numbers are dropping and costs a lot of money, and a fighter who plays six minutes a game on a team that's supposed to be rolling four lines of speed to be successful. I don't understand what Bergevin's doing here. Am I blind?

It's not for you to question, but to blindly accept whatever is done because what do we know? so be a good boy and trust and obey for there's no other way.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
What we need is good goaltending. We had the 18th best team save pct in the league, an improvement in that would go a long way to repeating as division leaders and doing better in the playoffs.

As Bergevin said it's hard to work with teams when everyone wants the same qualities in players. We are paying for the Gainey philosophy, it will take time to turn over the team as much as people would like.

I am not even listening to the dire predictions , a lot of teams made moves today but most are sideways in the long run.

If the Habs get top 10 goaltending they are back in the hunt for the division.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Boston lost Horton, Jagr, Peverley and Seguin, acquired Iginla and Eriksson... they didnt gain anything at all...

Ottawa lost Gonchar, Alfredsson, Regin, gained MacArthur, Ryan... they'll be more or less the same...

Toronto lost MacArthur, gained Clarkson... doubt they'll be much better...

Buffalo didnt add/lost anyone...

NJ replaced Clarkson by Clowe, no improvement there... oh, and workhorse Ryder! ;)

Philly got Lecavalier, more or less the same as previous seasons, great offense, **** defense and **** goaltending...

NYR went with Dominic Moore and... Pouliot...

NYI went with reclamation projects in Bouchard and Regin...

FLO ? niet WSH ? niet CAR ? niet (Komisarek)

TB got Filippula, but lose Lecavalier, no improvement...

and for most of these teams, it cost them WAY more than 8Mil... as much as I dislike Briere, the deal in itself isnt that bad.

I plan to cut out your post and hang it over my bed, where I will read it over and over and over until the hopefulness oozes in. As Mulder said in the X-Files, "I want to believe in Bergevin's long-term strategy" (something like that), but right now, I still think our main rivals have lapped us in the last few days:

Boston: Major crapshoot because so much changed. Ericksson and Iginla could be huge additions. The bottom line is they had no choice but to move problem-child Seguin and free up Cap space with Horton and Pevs. Instead of half-way measures to compensate, they launched a full UFA attack. It's a risk, but I respect the balls and vision. Luckily for us, Chara's getting old and Seidenberg's getting older. They have more raw talent than we have, but not for much longer.

Ottawa: Sorry, I see a big plus for them. Alfie and Gonchar were almost done. An extra year for their great rookies plus MacArthur and Ryan makes them very strong.

Toronto: Young team on the rise. Clarkson is an upgrade on Mac, IMO. Bernier solidifies any goalie questions.

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
As Mulder said in the X-Files, "I want to believe in Bergevin's long-term strategy" (something like that).......

I have that poster in my man-cave..."I Want to Believe".....but for me, it is far easier to believe in Jesus Christ than it is in MB.

Hopefully though my faith will grow in the latter.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I have that poster in my man-cave..."I Want to Believe".....but for me, it is far easier to believe in Jesus Christ than it is in MB.

Hopefully though my faith will grow in the latter.

Yeah, I was also a bit disillusioned that Bergevin could only walk on water after it was frozen.

And Jesus got away with the biggest cross-check of all time! And he did it with those vintage sackcloth pads. Man, those players from the Original Trinity era were tough.

Not sure, but I think he started out as a goalie, 'cause there a ton of YouTube clips about "Jesus Saves".

(I'm here all week...!)

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Boston lost Horton, Jagr, Peverley and Seguin, acquired Iginla and Eriksson... they didnt gain anything at all...

Ottawa lost Gonchar, Alfredsson, Regin, gained MacArthur, Ryan... they'll be more or less the same...

Toronto lost MacArthur, gained Clarkson... doubt they'll be much better...

Buffalo didnt add/lost anyone...

NJ replaced Clarkson by Clowe, no improvement there... oh, and workhorse Ryder! ;)

Philly got Lecavalier, more or less the same as previous seasons, great offense, **** defense and **** goaltending...

NYR went with Dominic Moore and... Pouliot...

NYI went with reclamation projects in Bouchard and Regin...

FLO ? niet WSH ? niet CAR ? niet (Komisarek)

TB got Filippula, but lose Lecavalier, no improvement...

and for most of these teams, it cost them WAY more than 8Mil... as much as I dislike Briere, the deal in itself isnt that bad.

Toronto also lost grabovski

SlyIslands

May 28, 2003
Visit site
I plan to cut out your post and hang it over my bed, where I will read it over and over and over until the hopefulness oozes in. As Mulder said in the X-Files, "I want to believe in Bergevin's long-term strategy" (something like that), but right now, I still think our main rivals have lapped us in the last few days:

Boston: Major crapshoot because so much changed. Ericksson and Iginla could be huge additions. The bottom line is they had no choice but to move problem-child Seguin and free up Cap space with Horton and Pevs. Instead of half-way measures to compensate, they launched a full UFA attack. It's a risk, but I respect the balls and vision. Luckily for us, Chara's getting old and Seidenberg's getting older. They have more raw talent than we have, but not for much longer.

Ottawa: Sorry, I see a big plus for them. Alfie and Gonchar were almost done. An extra year for their great rookies plus MacArthur and Ryan makes them very strong.

Toronto: Young team on the rise. Clarkson is an upgrade on Mac, IMO. Bernier solidifies any goalie questions.

You think other teams are better then the Habs and give a reason why. I like it. Good job

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

Ott lost one of their only two PMD, now the only one who can bring offense from the backend is Karlsson.

MacArthur produced at a pace of a 50+ points player for the Leafs, something Clarkson has yet to do in his career (getting 50 pts)... Bernier may be a good young goalie, but is sure aint because of UFA DAY they got him, it was via trade.

if anything, you think our rivals got better cause you're overrating the players they signed...

Garo

Jul 30, 2005
Montréal
It's not for you to question, but to blindly accept whatever is done because what do we know? so be a good boy and trust and obey for there's no other way.

I'd agree with that if we were talking about things a bit more serious than a sports team.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
What we need is good goaltending. We had the 18th best team save pct in the league, an improvement in that would go a long way to repeating as division leaders and doing better in the playoffs.

As Bergevin said it's hard to work with teams when everyone wants the same qualities in players. We are paying for the Gainey philosophy, it will take time to turn over the team as much as people would like.

I am not even listening to the dire predictions , a lot of teams made moves today but most are sideways in the long run.

If the Habs get top 10 goaltending they are back in the hunt for the division.

pretty much, most got rid of 50 pts players earlier this week just so they can overpay for different 50 pts players...

Not a Fish

May 7, 2012
San Diego
It literally has been 10 hours since free agency started!!!!! 10 hours!!!!! The season starts in two MONTHS!!!

Jesus....

If patience is a virtue, why did we have to rush out and get another injury prone, older small guy, with diminishing production, at the twilight of his career?

Saintpatrick*

If patience is a virtue, why did we have to rush out and get another injury prone, older small guy, with diminishing production, at the twilight of his career?

Its a stop gap solution till our kids develop I think. I don't like Briere and hate the signing but I can see why he did it.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Ryan been good to get. He would be good with Galchenyuk, giving him a little room to show his skills. Ottawa only gave up parts, a meh player, late first round pick and decent but not stud prospect.

Silfverberg is only 22 and not at all a meh player, the Habs didn't have a comparable young player they were willing to trade, the prospect is pretty good, a first round pick is a good thing to have, and Ryan is expensive.

Flyinghab

Jul 18, 2012
Ontario
Its still early and to be fair to Bergy there are some good UFA's still available. Like someone else said we have two months to wheel and deal and sign players. I still think the best signing we've made was when we signed our new goalie coach. If we get Carey playing elite again, look out.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I think you guys are forgetting that Detroit is now in our division and they just got all buffed up.

well, they didnt acquire any big/tough players so no one will bother looking at their new roster... even though they're the ones who managed UFA day the best IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad