Post-Game Talk (GBU): Need jack

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
A competent coach would instruct guys to get in front of the net and work extensively on getting guys to do that in practice sessions. Unfortunately we have an incompetent coach who is incapable of making in game adjustments to counter the opposing team.

"we have an incompetent coach who is incapable of making in game adjustments to counter the opposing team"

truer words never spoken.......

Reactions: sabremike

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Overall I thought the Sabres played a decent game (no, I'm not making fun of Rayzor here)

When you factor in that Jack basically didn't play, it was even more impressive. I thought Skinner and Tage played some of their best hockey of the season, and I was also impressed with CJ. I saw a lot of good just not enough finish. To be honest I was much more upset about the Bruins game than this one.

Reactions: k8prisoner

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I didn't get to see the game tonight...How did CJ Smith look ? And who were his linemates ? Thanks

1st time I've seen Smith play. I liked his explosiveness and there was one shift in the 3rd where I thought he just triggered a nice shot on goal while his feet were moving. I thought..."I wanna see more of that!"

I could tell he's new to the system and he was trying to fit and adjust on the fly. I think he was buried in the line up. It would have been nice to see him paired up with some talent.

Not sure if he was out on any special teams situations. Didn't pay close enough attention mainly because I was PO'd about how Erod was being used.........

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
1st time I've seen Smith play. I liked his explosiveness and there was one shift in the 3rd where I thought he just triggered a nice shot on goal while his feet were moving. I thought..."I wanna see more of that!"

I could tell he's new to the system and he was trying to fit and adjust on the fly. I think he was buried in the line up. It would have been nice to see him paired up with some talent.

Not sure if he was out on any special teams situations. Didn't pay close enough attention mainly because I was PO'd about how Erod was being used.........

He got some PK time and looked solid. I agree with your assessment, wished Phil would've given him some time on the 3rd line and dropped Sheary down to the 4th. He and Mitts have rarely worked well together despite all their shared ice time

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
Too much D depth that can be transformed to forward secondary scorers. With Pilut, trade Scandella/Beaulieu for proven middle six scorers. Scandella likely has more value, D men are more valuable and difficult to obtain. It is possible to get a good forward for Scandella from a team with low D depth. Scandella and a 4th to Chiarelli's Oilers for RN Hopkins and a third?

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
Too much D depth that can be transformed to forward secondary scorers. With Pilut, trade Scandella/Beaulieu for proven middle six scorers. Scandella likely has more value, D men are more valuable and difficult to obtain. It is possible to get a good forward for Scandella from a team with low D depth. Scandella and a 4th to Chiarelli's Oilers for RN Hopkins and a third?
Oiler would not do that, they need Forward depth as well

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I want to punch Housley every time I see this posted. Does Botts say something to Phil at some point? He very clearly said, several times I might add, that Sam is one of their center options during the offseason. How can he possibly be worse than who we’ve had centering the middle 6 this year?
At this point, I don't see why you don't give it a shot. I personally don't think he has the skating to play center at the NHL level, but what else do they have?

hypaspazz

Jan 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Bruins won so now we are knocked down into the vulnerable wild card spot.

BTW, can we try to have line combinations similar to the middle of our win streak? I know we are missing some of the pieces at that time (namely, Eichel) but we need to try to emulate that as much as possible.

Sabres

Jan 15, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I want to punch Housley every time I see this posted. Does Botts say something to Phil at some point? He very clearly said, several times I might add, that Sam is one of their center options during the offseason. How can he possibly be worse than who we’ve had centering the middle 6 this year?

Reinhart does NOT want to play center, he wants to play wing. Eichel talked about it on a Spittin' Chiclets podcast over the summer.

I've seen this mentioned many times and I don't know how many more times this will be mentioned before people realize that Reinhart isn't a center anymore.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
45cbf5f.jpg

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Reinhart does NOT want to play center, he wants to play wing. Eichel talked about it on a Spittin' Chiclets podcast over the summer.

I've seen this mentioned many times and I don't know how many more times this will be mentioned before people realize that Reinhart isn't a center anymore.

My frustration from the issue is that local media has never nailed down a specific stance that either the player or the organization has about it, even though both TM and JB have mentioned in interviews that Reinhart is an option at center. JB just said it again over the summer. If that's not true, fine, I just want to know the reasons behind it. IMO it shouldn't just come down to the player's personal preference, but if it is about that, that tells me something about Reinhart that I don't like. If only or local media knew what to ask.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

I’m aware of the “Sam prefers wing” stuff. I’m also aware coaches and GMs run the team not the players. If they need him there, at least in the short term, I fail to see why it isn’t tried. The other options are not very good for that 2nd line center spot.

I’d also say moving him to the middle 6 on the wing would help the cause as well. So you can keep Sam happy on the wing while also helping the cause of creating secondary scoring.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Sam told Jack he wanted to play wing at a time ROR and Eichel were the top 6 centers...Who wouldn't want to play wing when you have two talented centers already in place...

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

What Reinhart wants long term isn't the issue at the moment.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Exactly. If the question was, "do you want to play in the top 6?" the answer is obviously yes.

Hell, if the question is "who do you want to play with in the top 6" at the time, the answer is still yes.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I’m aware of the “Sam prefers wing” stuff. I’m also aware coaches and GMs run the team not the players. If they need him there, at least in the short term, I fail to see why it isn’t tried. The other options are not very good for that 2nd line center spot.

I’d also say moving him to the middle 6 on the wing would help the cause as well. So you can keep Sam happy on the wing while also helping the cause of creating secondary scoring.
I seriously doubt that.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Amen. Reinhart is the only guy who's show he can produce away from Eichel. Even better, he's shown he can drive the bus on a line with less talented linemates. His point totals would no doubt suffer a bit away from Eich and Skinner, but our middle 6 immediately becomes vastly improved. Now, with Eichel out, trying him at C is a no-brainer.

Buf fan in Nash

Jul 18, 2018
Nashville, TN

Yea realize RNH has 36 points in 39 games right? They may have considered a trade like this last year but no way now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad