Post-Game Talk (GBU): Need jack

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I can post that question a few hundred times. Then you can challenge Housley to a boxing match. :laugh:

:laugh:

Seriously, even with Reinhart, I think the team needs to trade for another center.

If Sam could replace Soboka and get anywhere near what we would hoped rom him I think we would be fine. I wouldn’t be worried about center until maybe next year if Mitts shows no signs of growth. I think we can live with him struggling if that 2C spot is addressed.

And also seriously, in don't understand why two consecutive coaches won't play Reinhart at center. Is Reinhart asking not to play center?

I get it to some extent. Letting him develop and play with better players. Something that wouldn’t be possible centering a line behind Jack/ROR. But thats not a thing anymore and to me the hole ROR trade left was tailor made for Sam to fill.

Last edited:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

I'd still go get another player who can slot in at center and have flexibility. A center like Duchene can play LW, Coyle can play RW, etc.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
I didn't get to see the game tonight...How did CJ Smith look ? And who were his linemates ? Thanks

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
This is a one line team and the coach needs to start deploying the other lines with that in mind.

Use the centers to block the middle of the ice and let mobile defense overlap for chances. Only use Eichel offensively. Try to kill the clock on the other team’a offense.

Instead he rolls three lines like they’re capable of mixing it up at the NHL level. They’re not.

The GM needs to bring up CJ VO and Nylander once healthy. None of them are game changers but VO could be a force multiplier on the PP.

Reactions: sabremike

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
I don't want to alarm anyone, but if CBJ and MTL pick up points tonight, then BOS wins tomorrow, BUF could be potentially out of a playoff spot as early as after Thursday's slate of games. Everything's fine...
Update: CBJ won, jumping to 4th in the conference and pushing BUF to 6th. MTL lost their first period lead and now trail DAL 2-1 at the 2nd INT, so maybe they won't be nipping at their heels just yet if that holds.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I am still on the bandwagon but no longer watch the games live on tv. I see us stick checking, getting pushed off the puck, taking bad shots--bad habits that are getting more engrained after a really good stretch. I still chew and mutter at the rink but otherwise my temperament just cannot take the darkness that enfolds me as the Sabres slowly slip further in the quicksand. I watch the good bits and trash the rest. I need a rest from this..

Reactions: VaporTrail

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
I don't want to alarm anyone, but if CBJ and MTL pick up points tonight, then BOS wins tomorrow, BUF could be potentially out of a playoff spot as early as after Thursday's slate of games. Everything's fine...

Update: CBJ won, jumping to 4th in the conference and pushing BUF to 6th. MTL lost their first period lead and now trail DAL 2-1 at the 2nd INT, so maybe they won't be nipping at their heels just yet if that holds.
Update: MTL also won, jumping to 7th in the conference and trail BUF by one point with no games-in-hand. BOS can jump BUF via tiebreaker with a win at tomorrow's Winter Classic in CHI. BOS (vs CGY), BUF (vs FLA who they have trouble defeating), MTL (vs VAN), NYI (vs CHI) each play on Thursday. A big divisional game vs BOS on Saturday too that could put the B's four points ahead if every results goes there way. FLA, NYR also have the potential to quietly creep up on them if BUF continues to slide here, as they each have two games-in-hand. It's a really terrible time for a constant like Eichel to go missing and for no depth scoring, but that's the team as constructed. Another month scoring at October or December rates and they'll be comfortably outside the playoff picture at the All-Star break.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Im with you to a certain extent

I do think Mitts has the skill to be something special. But half a season in, he looks like he should have been in the AHL this year.
why the heck do people keep talking about Casey in the AHL....he's the 2nd best center in our organization its not like we can freely send him down and give Sobotka and the rest the reigns he's still doing better than anyone that's not Jack at center offensively. At worst he should of been a 3rd line center coming in where he was doing perfectly fine with us a year ago...

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Im with you to a certain extent

I do think Mitts has the skill to be something special. But half a season in, he looks like he should have been in the AHL this year.

Or college. It's not like he was even lighting it up in college. Had some of the same issues he has now.

Burning a year off his elc for 9 meaningless games looks pretty bad right now. AHL would've been ideal last year for him, or if not AHL then college.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Or college. It's not like he was even lighting it up in college. Had some of the same issues he has now.

Burning a year off his elc for 9 meaningless games looks pretty bad right now. AHL would've been ideal last year for him, or if not AHL then college.
His second deal will be really cheap. Look at Grigorenko - his cap hit is 0 now.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Need Pilut.

morepilut2.jpg

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
why the heck do people keep talking about Casey in the AHL....he's the 2nd best center in our organization its not like we can freely send him down and give Sobotka and the rest the reigns he's still doing better than anyone that's not Jack at center offensively. At worst he should of been a 3rd line center coming in where he was doing perfectly fine with us a year ago...
Larsson is the 2nd best center in the organization, pending the Reinhart thing.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I want to punch Housley every time I see this posted. Does Botts say something to Phil at some point? He very clearly said, several times I might add, that Sam is one of their center options during the offseason. How can he possibly be worse than who we’ve had centering the middle 6 this year?
We have shit depth but basically any winger combo he gets is going to be the best he's ever had at center (as long as SoboTage and Elie are excluded). And it's not like we have anything to lose, the team is in complete free fall. If it doesn't work at least we know we need a center.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
Mittlestadt needs another inch or two on his stick. I can't watch him anymore.

He also needs to make the simple play.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
At this point, Mitts needs to be bumped to wing and put Eichel or Reinhart as his centerman. At least if Jack is healthy.

They just can’t continue to do nothing.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Okposo finally scored because Thompson screened the goalie on the PP. That's a role where TT can really make a difference. Now all they have to do is work harder and draw penalties.
A competent coach would instruct guys to get in front of the net and work extensively on getting guys to do that in practice sessions. Unfortunately we have an incompetent coach who is incapable of making in game adjustments to counter the opposing team.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Larsson is the 2nd best center in the organization, pending the Reinhart thing.
no he clearly isn't for all the whining people do Mittelstadt is a much better option than Sobotka and is definitely better than Larsson if we want to actually score on a top 6 line. With all the people whining about so many players being on the team that are a black hole for the team they constantly pick on somebody that can actually put up some points and has actually scored in the past month. Sure we should just throw him down to the AHL and let the Sabres have another player doing absolutely nothing brought up again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad