Need for Shutdown D- Guys to target

bootsgaudet

Oct 15, 2012
Not hitting the Panic button but its clear we need one, regardless of Souray coming back, the market is there and if the deal is right i hope BM pounces.

Also i mean Sbisa seems to be a tradeable asset, i do however want to see he how he plays when he comes back, that being said the following players would be upgrades.

Two names that i feel would be perfect fits on our roster would be :

1. Carl Gunnarson - Toronto Maple Leafs
- Solid player, great contract, tradeable with the need for toronto to shed some cap

I would give up Sbisa for him, would be a pretty even swap.Leafs save around a million or so as well could get Sbisa to sign a cheaper 2- 2.5 million bridge contract for a year or two. Another idea would also ship DSP+ Pick or Prospect

2. Kevin Klein
- Solid all around player, again is on a good contract and brought into the nhl in one of the best places to groom defenceman. Nashville has a need for offence and a multitude of awesome defenders.

If its based upong offence Holland/D.S.P/Belesky/Bonino + Fistiric (hes cheap as heck, a decent depth defenceman not total garbage, just helps us clear up our contracts.

Thoughts ?

Dont think i hit anything to controversial, i feel the above to,are great solid all around players signed to great terms that play safe reliable hockey.

Plus i see the offers as benefical for both teams, not like i just made it lucrative for one team.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
What was that package that Vancouver fans used to throw around the trade boards a year ago? I think Sbisa, Holland, and DSP is getting almost as bad as that. Has it not sunk in yet that it is obvious to every other team's fans what you are offering them?

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Why is there a need for a shutdown d-man? We gave up a short-handed goal because Palms misplayed the puck.

So ummm... this post is odd. We're 5-1 with our youngings developing. Tonight's game was a good game to put in their repertoire. There will be bad games, but if you come out with a win while it's bad, then that's a good thing. Plus, Beauch played well tonight.

Ask again around the 20 game mark, then maybe you might have something, but right now it's a bit premature to state a "need".

Oct 18, 2011
Girardi maybe, but I wonder if all the shotblocking nonsense has already started an early decline for him

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Why is there a need for a shutdown d-man? We gave up a short-handed goal because Palms misplayed the puck.

So ummm... this post is odd. We're 5-1 with our youngings developing. Tonight's game was a good game to put in their repertoire. There will be bad games, but if you come out with a win while it's bad, then that's a good thing. Plus, Beauch played well tonight.

Ask again around the 20 game mark, then maybe you might have something, but right now it's a bit premature to state a "need".

Complacency is never a good thing, and Lovejoy should not be playing the level of minutes he is. He's doing a fine enough job, but fine enough should never be enough. A rugged all-around partner for Fowler could do wonders for the defense and team as a whole. There's a chance Sbisa could get his act together and be that guy, but let's face it, it probably won't happen.

bootsgaudet

Oct 15, 2012

two things, i said i wasnt hitting the panic button, but going forward long term we could use a top 4 shutdown defenceman, and merely stated some are available.

as well, its somthing to consider and make a deal when its right this season, im not expecting to wake up tommrow morning and see it done

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I have seen Alzner mentioned in other threads. Is he really available? he could be nice addition imo, even though he`s a leftie

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I keep seeing Gunnarsons name being tossed about but there's not a chance Toronto deals him, especially for Sbisa + DSP. He's their #2 defenseman and plays very tough minutes for them.

I agree the Sbsia + DSP + pick package is getting ridiculous.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
Ducks don't need a shutdown D man......Fowler is here.......he doesn't play offense any longer so we have to consider him a stay at home defensemen now.

duxfan8

Sep 13, 2011
South Bay

A shutdown dman wouldn't be on the PP anyways. We need one to pair up with Fowler. It would really strengthen this team as cup contenders. That is why we need a top flight shutdown dman.

Suddenly7

Jun 15, 2012
Anaheim
With how badly Buffalo is doing I would hope Tyler Myers will be available for Sbisa and our first round +. He may not be a shutdown defense but with that size and natural ability he could do well in developing here.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
We've won five games in a row and in those games we've scored our opponents 20-8. Our D is combined +22. Why the hell would we mess with that right now? How much better is our D supposed to be? This group is having no problems keeping the puck out of their end and getting it up the ice. Maybe they don't play a bruising style of game most associated with that of a "shutdown d-man" but it doesn't matter. The way they're playing is working.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
With how badly Buffalo is doing I would hope Tyler Myers will be available for Sbisa and our first round +. He may not be a shutdown defense but with that size and natural ability he could do well in developing here.
There is no way that a team like ours is touching that contract.

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
Here comes the usual "our garbage for your good player/s thread".

Fowler
Beauch
Allen
Lindholm
Vatanen
Lovejoy
Sbisa
Souray

8 players, 6 spots.(Not counting Fistric)

Fowler, Beauch, Lindholm, and Vats all have above average trade value, but they aren't going anywhere. The rest? No so much. Sbisa is the x factor in all this. His return will determine the pecking order of the defense and if Anaheim needs to make a move or not.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
There is no way that a team like ours is touching that contract.

a sbisa+1st doesn't get you anywhere near myers.

myers will be one of their pieces they build around now that an inevitable full rebuild seems to be coming

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
a sbisa+1st doesn't get you anywhere near myers.

myers will be one of their pieces they build around now that an inevitable full rebuild seems to be coming
I've already criticized that sort of offer earlier in the thread. I'm just commenting on what we can afford.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad