Speculation: Need a New Coach: John Tortorella

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I worked for sports tv and still have some contacts.

I think his ego is too big to let him go to Arizona or any other team outside of the Leafs. Rangers is a pipe dream and they won't have the cap space when he's a UFA. LA looks like they're going into a massive rebuild in 3 years' time and they don't really have any big-time prospects that look like they're about to take off. Kopitar will probably be retired. Byfield and co look decent as prospects but haven't really hit the ground running. Unless the Leafs continue to lose in the final 3 years of Auston's contract, his best situation for winning is in TO. If the Leafs continue to suck, he will probably be the biggest reason for it and will easily get run out of town. In either case, I don't think it really matters right now.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
I think his ego is too big to let him go to Arizona or any other team outside of the Leafs. Rangers is a pipe dream and they won't have the cap space when he's a UFA. LA looks like they're going into a massive rebuild in 3 years' time and they don't really have any big-time prospects that look like they're about to take off. Kopitar will probably be retired. Byfield and co look decent as prospects but haven't really hit the ground running. Unless the Leafs continue to lose in the final 3 years of Auston's contract, his best situation for winning is in TO. If the Leafs continue to suck, he will probably be the biggest reason for it and will easily get run out of town. In either case, I don't think it really matters right now.

Please don't forget about the taxes. No U.S. born player wants to play in Canada. His tax rate here is at least 3x what it would be in the U.S. Talk to me in 3 years. He will be leaving for sure.

Reactions: LeafsRus

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Please don't forget about the taxes. No U.S. born player wants to play in Canada. His tax rate here is at least 3x what it would be in the U.S. Talk to me in 3 years. He will be leaving for sure.

Like I said. I don't think any Leafs fan cares right now. We'll see in 3 years whether he's leaving us or we're leaving him. :laugh:

He's getting endorsement money and worldwide recognition in the hockey community. I think he'll be okay financially. If he leaves, it's not going to be for the money.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
i wanna see tortorella handle steve simmons

I don't want Torts anywhere near this team (mostly because they'll tune him out), but I think it would be very entertaining for us fans when he goes berserk on the media.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
Like I said. I don't think any Leafs fan cares right now. We'll see in 3 years whether he's leaving us or we're leaving him. :laugh:

He's getting endorsement money and worldwide recognition in the hockey community. I think he'll be okay financially. If he leaves, it's not going to be for the money.

With these kids today and the fathers that are living their lives vicariously through them, it's always the money.

BudForLife

Jul 18, 2009
Toronto
I don't want Torts anywhere near this team (mostly because they'll tune him out), but I think it would be very entertaining for us fans when he goes berserk on the media.

Ya as a coach I don't know if it would work...but man....I'd love to see him put steve simmons in his place :laugh:

Reactions: nobody

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
I’m not sure Torts would get any respect from this team. We have to remember a lot of the younger players are completely different than most of us. I’m 40 and my mentality compared to some even fifteen years younger than me is so different. Kids now of days are raised and coddled they get instant gratification from social media and if it’s negative that person is a deemed terrible. It’s a different world in their eyes and they need coach’s and staff that can navigate this yet still get the message across. Leafs management need to get an identity like for example Boston. They draft certain players and if they don’t mix in or buy into the identity they are gone. Theyve had a lot more success than us.

Reactions: LeafsRus

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Maybe bc of the Canes and I was a fan of the Legion of doom and Flyers back then. I really think the Leafs need someone like Rod Brind'Amour. Not the top player but he was a very good player who played with an edge and hard work. Not saying Tocchet should be our next coach but I really think the team will do well with someone like that.
Maybe Dougie or even Muller.

jgs

Oct 24, 2019
You don't know what your talking about. Torts has won a Stanley Cup and the Jack Adams trophy twice. Yes he is a take no crap kind of coach. yes he pushes his players hard but they produce. The Blue Jackets have less talent then the Leafs and under Torts they have gone farther in the playoffs and to cap it off. His team eliminated the talented Leafs last year with less talent. The reason the Leafs choke is because of the mentality that you have. Which is be nice to the players, don't say or do anything that might upset them. They will not play if you hurt there feelings. This is a MANS game and if you don't like being pushed hard to your limit and called out when you choke then go play skip rope or something else.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00