Speculation: Need a New Coach: John Tortorella

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
We had a Torts like coach in Babcock. He was run out of town. Still no playoff wins. If I were being honest, I'd say the Leafs need a deep pocket billionaire to buy the team. No more corporate influence and sports media sponsors putting undo pressure on say, signing Nylander at all costs etc.

If you bring in a Torts you'd have to bring in new personnel. Start with the latter first. Leafs have an entire team of coaches, it won't change the DNA of some players.

Two years ago I suggested that this team reminded me an awful lot of the very talented young Oilers from a decade ago. So many top picks, so much talent, never any playoff success. Here we are and I'm really surprised.

Reactions: LeafsRus

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I honestly believe that this team would go into open rebellion with a coach like Torts. The team wouldn't even make the playoffs. Think of that disaster of a season that saw the team completely quit on Peter Horachek. Remember that season was Shanahan's first season with the organization.

Or their collapse with Babcock before Keefe came in and went on a heater in the second half.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Matthews can go. He's gone at the end of his deal anyway. Pretty boy wants NY or LA. At the very least, he's going back to AZ. Tired of these guys disappearing in the playoffs. Don't care if he scores 100 during the season. Go let him expose himself to a security guard someplace else.

He'd be foolish to leave. Without playoff success here though, he may feel "what's the difference if I fail here or somewhere else?" He might have even lost faith in his own linemates. Imagine that?

This is why this team needed to get over the hump this year. It's quite embarrassing, even though a healthy Tavares keeps lines the same and the chances of Leafs winning goes up at least 25%.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
In theory, sure. But this is an incorrigible team that doesn't want to put the work in, they'll just quit on him. Order of operations needs to be fix management>fix roster>fix coaching. Once we've assembled a team worth coaching we can worry about who's going to coach it.

Reactions: LeafsRus

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
We had a Torts like coach in Babcock. He was run out of town. Still no playoff wins. If I were being honest, I'd say the Leafs need a deep pocket billionaire to buy the team. No more corporate influence and sports media sponsors putting undo pressure on say, signing Nylander at all costs etc.

If you bring in a Torts you'd have to bring in new personnel. Start with the latter first. Leafs have an entire team of coaches, it won't change the DNA of some players.

Two years ago I suggested that this team reminded me an awful lot of the very talented young Oilers from a decade ago. So many top picks, so much talent, never any playoff success. Here we are and I'm really surprised.
The difference between them and us is making the playoffs and not making the playoffs/finishing in lottery picks.

ANDI P IS CUTE

Oct 7, 2009
Windsor On
should make every player earn some of their contract thru playoffs. weird i know but somehow have it tied to their playoff performance, bonuses for good stats, take money away for bad stats- i know both the nhl and nhlpa would never do it. lol

Reactions: Cpt Maple Leaf

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
If Babcock lost the room here, Torts will not even find the room.

Not a good fit for this team.
Looks like Keefe lost the room too, they don’t start on time and they never come out with urgency. I’m not even sure what having the room means with this team anymore, they look exactly the same as under Babs, except older.

17 Clark

Mar 22, 2015

All those spoiled Entitled children would just run him out of town The core needs to be adjusted and Show the other players no one’s untouchable And if that doesn’t work at a fire under their ass I don’t know what’s next

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
I can't believe I am saying this, but this team needs a John Tortorella to put the fear God in these guys. They don't just need a culture change, they need a culture shock. Sure Tortorella will only last maybe 2 years, but I think that's the type of coach you bring in to the challenge these guys. Someone who won't pander to these brats. I think Babcock worked for the first couple years, but he got the best out of the players, because he challenged them. But these coaches have a shelf life. We also need to ship some of these hostages out of here: Rielly and Marner, Mikheyev, maybe even Nylander. Let Thornton, Simmonds, etc walk. Hyman not sure, depends on how much he wants.

Worst fit possible. So we will be bad and unwatchable?

Last edited:

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Matthews can go. He's gone at the end of his deal anyway. Pretty boy wants NY or LA. At the very least, he's going back to AZ. Tired of these guys disappearing in the playoffs. Don't care if he scores 100 during the season. Go let him expose himself to a security guard someplace else.
What makes you think he wants to leave?

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
F yeah I'm bout that milord :clap: Good thread too. Sire. If it ain't so, I WANT RICK TOCCHET, OR PATRICK ROY. Tocchet is one of the realest poker faces. A thug for life. Roy has the emotion. Boudreau for the assistant coach would rock our assses off too sire. Like really twerkin on that apple head hard. For life son. These are the men. Gallant is a substitute. He ain't hard like torts or tocchet. But a cool pineapple too. Red lika a command and congquer. For life sire. And I is bout that.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Dear god no. Keefe is fine, just needs to learn to be less stubborn.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00