Speculation: Need a New Coach: John Tortorella

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
I can't believe I am saying this, but this team needs a John Tortorella to put the fear God in these guys. They don't just need a culture change, they need a culture shock. Sure Tortorella will only last maybe 2 years, but I think that's the type of coach you bring in to the challenge these guys. Someone who won't pander to these brats. I think Babcock worked for the first couple years, but he got the best out of the players, because he challenged them. But these coaches have a shelf life. We also need to ship some of these hostages out of here: Rielly and Marner, Mikheyev, maybe even Nylander. Let Thornton, Simmonds, etc walk. Hyman not sure, depends on how much he wants.

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
I can't believe I am saying this, but this team needs a John Tortorella to put the fear God in these guys. They don't just need a culture change, they need a culture shock. Sure Tortorella will only last maybe 2 years, but I think that's the type of coach you bring in to the challenge these guys. Someone who won't pander to these brats. We also need to ship some of these hostages out of here: Rielly and Marner, Mikheyev, maybe even Nylander. Let Thornton, Simmonds, etc walk. Hyman not sure, depends on how much he wants.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I actually agree. We got outworked last year in the Columbus series - we had the puck a lot but wouldn’t sacrifice and get into the danger areas, got kept to the outside. And this year, we got badly outworked with the series on the line in games 5, 6 and 7 - really didn’t compete.

I think Keefe has mostly good systems, and had us generally playing good D, but he’s a players coach, and I don’t think that’s what this group needs right now. They need a hard ass, and Torts is the best there is in that category. We need roster changes too, but compete level in the playoffs is a major issue for us, and I think Torts would be a step in the right direction.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I dont think that is a good idea. We have seen what he does to star young players. He derailed Dubois's and Laine's career. I do not want any of that on the remaining players on our roster. I think there will be change needed in the coaching ranks and players. But Tort's isnt the answer.

To be honest I would be ok keeping Keefe as he works well with the players and has implemented a strategy that works. But I would definitely swap out the assistants. Maholtra has no business being in charge of the PP. Go hire someone like Martin St. Louis to be an assistant. Go hire Boudreau to deal with defense and PK.

I really think Keefe is the answer behind the bench. I just feel the help he needs isnt there. Swapping out assistants and trading a player or 2 from the core is the way to go. I think it would be a mistake to let Keefe go. It would be Paul Maurice all over again. Give him another season at the very least.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
I dont think that is a good idea. We have seen what he does to star young players. He derailed Dubois's and Laine's career. I do not want any of that on the remaining players on our roster. I think there will be change needed in the coaching ranks and players. But Tort's isnt the answer.

To be honest I would be ok keeping Keefe as he works well with the players and has implemented a strategy that works. But I would definitely swap out the assistants. Maholtra has no business being in charge of the PP. Go hire someone like Martin St. Louis to be an assistant. Go hire Boudreau to deal with defense and PK.

I really think Keefe is the answer behind the bench. I just feel the help he needs isnt there. Swapping out assistants and trading a player or 2 from the core is the way to go. I think it would be a mistake to let Keefe go. It would be Paul Maurice all over again. Give him another season at the very least.
Screw Dubois and Laine. If these guys don't have the stones to play the right way towards winning a cup it won't matter who the coach is. Move on from the guys who bristle at hard love, expectations and consequences for their play. Find me 24 guys who will all push towards the same goal of a cup and do what is necessary to win regardless if it impact their personal numbers or goes against how they want to play.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Gallant would be the ideal coach for this group. Someone who is tough and knows how to push the buttons.

Gallant is a loser. Everywhere he goes he gets canned in order to find an upgrade, even when the team is winning/treading water. Gallant got badly outcoached by Bob Hartley at the worlds, who is a much better coach than Gallant and is available. Hartley just won a KHL title and has won at every level.

Reactions: Bluebear

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
It is very simple. If you want the players to be held accountable, learn how to play and behave like professionals, and bring some fire to this organization you bring in Torts. You will play a team game, sacrifice stats or you will sit and be shipped out.

If you want to continue to lose and have the inmates run the asylum you don’t bring in Torts.

Reactions: Cobra777

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
edmonton
Unfortunately our idiot GM only has Matthews locked up for 3 more years. If you want to ensure he leaves, sign Tortorella.

Matthews can go. He's gone at the end of his deal anyway. Pretty boy wants NY or LA. At the very least, he's going back to AZ. Tired of these guys disappearing in the playoffs. Don't care if he scores 100 during the season. Go let him expose himself to a security guard someplace else.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
The Avs steam rolled through the regular season and Jared Bednar was screaming at the team the day after the season ended.

Also helps that he's a good coach.

How about someone like that instead of some tired fool like Tortorella?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The fixating on a new coach should be driven by more than just a fixation on punishing/being tough with players.

The fact is Torts team records and playoff performances the past few years are pretty mediocre. He's also shown an inability to deal with media pressure (recall him just recently storming out of a press conference that had just the relatively small Columbus media crew as part of it). He seems like a poor fit for the Leafs. And unless the team is going to go through a near 80% roster turnover (and that's not happening) the team isn't built for his tactical systems anyways

There are other tough couches out there besides him that could be available of they want to make a change

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Unfortunately our idiot GM only has Matthews locked up for 3 more years. If you want to ensure he leaves, sign Tortorella.
They pampered core ran Babcock out of town, what makes anyone think they’ll ever respond to tough love? At this point having AM school Dubas into the shorter term might be a blessing in desguise?

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
I honestly believe that this team would go into open rebellion with a coach like Torts. The team wouldn't even make the playoffs. Think of that disaster of a season that saw the team completely quit on Peter Horachek. Remember that season was Shanahan's first season with the organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->