Value of: Necas

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Kind of what I figured. It is likely a mid 1st, first pick of the 2nd round, and a pretty good NHL ready prospect and gives you the cap space to sign Guentzel/others. Makes sense they’d want to keep Necas though. Just not sure how it’s possible with keeping the rest.
Necas is the one you keep. Same with Jarvis. The other ones you either fit in or you don’t. You’re doing it backwards.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Necas is the one you keep. Same with Jarvis. The other ones you either fit in or you don’t. You’re doing it backwards.
I don’t really agree. Don’t know if Canes do either with the rumors at the TDL. Jarvis and Guentzel are the ones you keep.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I don’t really agree. Don’t know if Canes do either with the rumors at the TDL. Jarvis and Guentzel are the ones you keep.
Necas had only ever been dangled as the main piece in a trade for a Tkachuk or E.Petey. Hes not being shopped and the Canes want to keep him. Signing Necas for 7-8 at $7m at his age makes a hell of a lot more sense than signing Guentzel for 7-8 at $8.5m.

Jarvis and Necas are the priority.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I do not think Habs will be looking for Necas as he is already 25. They will be looking for someone younger than Suzuki. Plus Habs already have a solid base of right handed players in Caufield, Suzuki, Dach plus prospects like Beck and Mešár. They will be looking for left handed player who can play center or winger with size (Lundell, Kaakko, Voronkov to name few tips).
i agree they shouldnt target him specifically, but i think they should at least inquire on the price; unlike Beck and Mesar, he is a known value after all.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Comps for RFA rights in the 25-26 year old range of Necas caliber

Fiala trade:
1st+ prospect in top 50-75 range

Debrincat trade (the 2nd one):
1st+4rd+Roster player+prospect

Sam Reinhart:
1st+prospect

Trouba:
1st+young roster player

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Since coming over Guentzel has 10 more points in the games played than Necas.

It would be absurd to keep Necas over Guentzel if that is the decision that is possible for them.
But this isn’t just a contract for 24-25.

Necas is coming off a 28 goal 71 point season and just turned 25. He's not far behind what Guentzel had been. In fact, when Guentzel was 25 he just had his first 40 goal and 70 point season with a previous high of 48 points.

When you are planning out an 8 year contract, which one is going to produce more?

Necas age 25-33.
Guentzel age 30-37, also likely costing about $2M AAV more.

I think it’s more debatable than you think given Necas is just coming into his own.

I’d love to keep Jarvis and Necas and Guentzel. I think they would have to bridge Jarvis and/or Necas to do so. But giving up on Necas now could very easily mean giving away a great goal scorer in the near future to try to keep a great goal scorer in the present who would be signed into his late 30s.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Necas is coming off a 28 goal 71 point season and just turned 25. He's not far behind what Guentzel had been. In fact, when Guentzel was 25 he just had his first 40 goal and 70 point season with a previous high of 48 points.

When you are planning out an 8 year contract, which one is going to produce more?

Necas age 25-33.

I think it’s more debatable than you think given Necas is just coming into his own.

I’d love to keep Jarvis and Necas and Guentzel. I think they would have to bridge Jarvis and/or Necas to do so. But giving up on Necas now could very easily mean giving away a great goal scorer in the near future to try to keep a great goal scorer in the present who would be signed into his late 30s.

If the decision is what player makes Carolina competitive.

Guentzel makes Carolina more competitive.

Obviously, sign both. But Jake vs Necas if that is the argument makes way more sense.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

Necas age 25-33.

One could argue he was pacing for ~43 points the year before and ~58 this year. A team is going to wonder which Necas they’re going to get? The 71 points line driver or the 55-60 points complimentary piece?

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Per NST, his EV scoring is slightly up this season (+.03 per 60). The drop off in his overall numbers is usage driven; his PP production has almost been cut in half on a per game basis. The Canes found a mix on the 1st unit that has worked (#2 in the league atm) and he’s not a part of it. That’s more an issue of chemistry rather than his underperformance.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Canes hard against cap this season with 20 million coming off next season. But many due raises.
If they want to turn into Toronto, the 30M+ they’ll have in space is plenty to keep all 3 of Jarvis, Necas and likely Guentzel. Their blueline would certainly suffer though. So that’s probably not likely unless they dump Kotkaniemi.

I think they keep either Necas or Guentzel (Jarvis is going nowhere), with Necas being the more likely re-sign, at least in my opinion. If Guentzel is retained, it’s likely they deal Necas for a comparable defenseman, someone like Andersson from CGY or the like, OR he’s part of a larger trade for a comparable forward. I don’t see them dumping him for a “quantity” type futures deal.

Canes hard against cap this season with 20 million coming off next season. But many due raises.
If they want to turn into Toronto, the 30M+ they’ll have in space is plenty to keep all 4 of Jarvis, Necas and likely Guentzel. Their blueline would certainly suffer though. So that’s probably not likely unless they dump Kotkaniemi.

I think they keep either Necas or Guentzel (Jarvis is going nowwhere), with Necas being the more likely re-sign, at least in my opinion. If Guentzel is retained, it’s likely they deal Necas for a comparable defenseman, Andreas

Reactions: Tryamw

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
If they want to turn into Toronto, the 30M+ they’ll have in space is plenty to keep all 3 of Jarvis, Necas and likely Guentzel. Their blueline would certainly suffer though. So that’s probably not likely unless they dump Kotkaniemi.

I think they keep either Necas or Guentzel (Jarvis is going nowhere), with Necas being the more likely re-sign, at least in my opinion. If Guentzel is retained, it’s likely they deal Necas for a comparable defenseman, someone like Andersson from CGY or the like, OR he’s part of a larger trade for a comparable forward. I don’t see them dumping him for a “quantity” type futures deal.

If they want to turn into Toronto, the 30M+ they’ll have in space is plenty to keep all 4 of Jarvis, Necas and likely Guentzel. Their blueline would certainly suffer though. So that’s probably not likely unless they dump Kotkaniemi.

I think they keep either Necas or Guentzel (Jarvis is going nowwhere), with Necas being the more likely re-sign, at least in my opinion. If Guentzel is retained, it’s likely they deal Necas for a comparable defenseman, Andreas
That's going to be quite a loss to their defense.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
That's going to be quite a loss to their defense.
Well their Defense is quite a bit overloaded at this point so it was due for some sort of downgrade.

I think, unfortunately, Skjei has priced him out of Carolina. He's absolutely excellent but we have Slavin and Orlov at LD next year so resigning him would be a luxury. Are Slavin and Orlov UFA the following year (along with Burns)... sure... but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. Orlov will likely move on and Slavin will be re-signed and likely become our Captain after Staal retires.

Pesce could be back and I don't think he would cost too much more than the $4m he's already making. He is starting to show his age and mileage so if he wants the mega contract then he'll get it elsewhere. Chatfield will get a small raise but ideally he stays on the 3rd pair.

Really we need to bridge the gap to Morrow and Nikishin. Orlov is part of that, but we will still need a bit more. If he isn't too pricey I'd like to see the Canes look into Matt Roy in the offseason.

TLDR; Yes - Canes will have to downgrade at D in the next year or two but that's the way it goes when you have lots of good players. Something's gotta give and you can't sign all of them.

Reactions: Daeavorn

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
One could argue he was pacing for ~43 points the year before and ~58 this year. A team is going to wonder which Necas they’re going to get? The 71 points line driver or the 55-60 points complimentary piece?
And a 63 point pace the year before the 43, in his second full year in the NHL. He's shown repeated examples of 60+ and sub-60 production.

If a team isn't paying for the 60-70 point wing, is it worth Carolina trading the potential?

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Necas will score about 24 goals and 56 points on average season. His also -5 this season on very good club. Worrying.

DeBrusk will score about 24 goals and 45 points in average season. He's also three years older.

Both will have similar contracts, around 6 million. Necas is better player but DeBrusk is UFA. With DeBrusk you don't have to give up anything. I would ask about Necas, but not overpay.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Necas will score about 24 goals and 56 points on average season. His also -5 this season on very good club. Worrying.

DeBrusk will score about 24 goals and 45 points in average season. He's also three years older.

Both will have similar contracts, around 6 million. Necas is better player but DeBrusk is UFA. With DeBrusk you don't have to give up anything. I would ask about Necas, but not overpay.
We aren’t worried and fee free to ask all you want. Hes not a player we are looking to trade at all so if you want him, the price will be high

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad