Value of: Necas

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Teuvo, Necas, Guenzel, Jarvis, Skjei , Pesce , All have to resigned ...
Gezzzz , Don't think they will be able to sign them all.
Good thing Necas is RFA ,

But the Habs could be a good trade partner..

Haven't been following the canes really this year,
Is Orlov a cap dumb ?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Wonder what kind of contract he will get this summer? Canes hard up against cap with both him and Jarvis due big raises. Is there a chance a team could sneak in get a deal on Necas?

Canes have 30 millions in cap space this summer.

Jarvis doesn't have arbitration, so they can force him into a bridge if needed.

If I was a betting man, TT and Pesce (or Skjei) are more likely to be cap casualties.

Guentzal - Aho - Jarvis
Svechnikov - Staal - Necas
KK - Kuznetsov - Fast
Lemieux - Drury - XXXX

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Teuvo, Necas, Guenzel, Jarvis, Skjei , Pesce , All have to resigned ...
Gezzzz , Don't think they will be able to sign them all.
Good thing Necas is RFA ,

But the Habs could be a good trade partner..

Haven't been following the canes really this year,
Is Orlov a cap dumb ?
No chance they even try to sign all those guys. Skjei and Pesce will probably price themselves out, which is understandable. Unless Teuvo takes a deal to stay, he's likely gone as well. I don't think they'll re-sign Guentzel, but some Canes think they will.

Canes don't typically sign guys that are 29-30+ years old to high dollar long term deals. Maybe they'll change their MO for one of these guys, but they moved on from Faulk, Hamilton, and Trocheck. They have a value for a guy and won't exceed it, even if it means losing them.

No, Orlov isn't a cap dump.

Wonder what kind of contract he will get this summer? Canes hard up against cap with both him and Jarvis due big raises. Is there a chance a team could sneak in get a deal on Necas?
Why would a team get a deal? If Necas is made available, there will be lots of teams wanting to acquire him.

chrisp200

Aug 15, 2011
The Habs and Canes aren't going to be trade partners for a while given what happened. Maybe the Habs offer sheet Necas as payback

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
if MTL wants to give up a top 5/6 pick + 2nd + 3rd for Necas then we are open to that. You aren’t signing him for less than that on an offer sheet
Would be the 2025 1st which hopefully isn't as low plus we also have Calgary's 1st, and minimum 2 x 2nds and 3 x 3rds (depending on if Allen hits conditions of that trade to NJ) so not a big deal to lose the picks

Don't see it happening though as our new GM isn't as dumb as our old one to pick fights with other GMs

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Would be the 2025 1st which hopefully isn't as low plus we also have Calgary's 1st, and minimum 2 x 2nds and 3 x 3rds (depending on if Allen hits conditions of that trade to NJ) so not a big deal to lose the picks

Don't see it happening though as our new GM isn't as dumb as our old one to pick fights with other GMs
Doesn’t matter to the Canes how many other picks the Habs have or whether or not losing those picks would hurt them or not. Canes only looking at it from the value they would receive back. Maybe MTL is better than a bottom 5/6 team next year, hard to know, but they would have to make some major additions in order to move out of that group.

Do they want to sign Necas to a deal of $7.5AAV or more? Have to think that’s the only chance they get him on an offer sheet.

Reactions: Daeavorn and DaveG

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Doesn’t matter to the Canes how many other picks the Habs have or whether or not losing those picks would hurt them or not. Canes only looking at it from the value they would receive back. Maybe MTL is better than a bottom 5/6 team next year, hard to know, but they would have to make some major additions in order to move out of that group.

Do they want to sign Necas to a deal of $7.5AAV or more? Have to think that’s the only chance they get him on an offer sheet.
With Dach coming back and if a few of our young players keep their progression then they are going to be too good to tank and probably not good enough for the playoff yet but they’ll be in the picture.

No, we wouldn’t want to sign Necas to a $7.5AAV or more. I don’t think anyone else should either

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
No, we wouldn’t want to sign Necas to a $7.5AAV or more. I don’t think anyone else should either
Then why would Carolina give up Necas if they aren't upgrading at forward? Maybe you can argue for a long-term piece on defense but it needs to be a great piece to move Necas.

There's plenty of space to lock up Necas and Jarvis long-term with $31M in cap space next season. Just because Necas would have been a key part of a package for a player like Tkachuk or Pettersson doesn't mean Carolina is looking to get rid of him.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Then why would Carolina give up Necas if they aren't upgrading at forward? Maybe you can argue for a long-term piece on defense but it needs to be a great piece to move Necas.

There's plenty of space to lock up Necas and Jarvis long-term with $31M in cap space next season. Just because Necas would have been a key part of a package for a player like Tkachuk or Pettersson doesn't mean Carolina is looking to get rid of him.
Never said you guys should be moving him. I just answered your question

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I would think an offer sheet would have to exceed $7.5 million AAV. The Habs are one of the few teams that could afford it, but I'm not sure it makes sense longer term to tie that money up (unless it's a one year deal like th KK offer sheet). Guhle and Slafkovsky are gonna get paid in 25-26. So it would be complicated....

All of that said, I'm pretty certain the Canes are keen to keep Necas. A lot depends on this season's playoffs.

Reactions: zman77

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I would think an offer sheet would have to exceed $7.5 million AAV. The Habs are one of the few teams that could afford it, but I'm not sure it makes sense longer term to tie that money up (unless it's a one year deal like th KK offer sheet). Guhle and Slafkovsky are gonna get paid in 25-26. So it would be complicated....

All of that said, I'm pretty certain the Canes are keen to keep Necas. A lot depends on this season's playoffs.
And a one year offer sheet for Necas doesn't make sense because of Necas's age.

You sign Necas to a one year high salary deal, he accepts the QO or takes you to arbitration in 2025 if he doesn't like your long-term offer, and he's a UFA in 2026. You've overpaid for 2 years and shelled out a bunch of picks.

A player coming off an ELC is who you target with that type of 1 year high salary offer. Jarvis would be a much better target for that strategy.

Reactions: zman77

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
No chance they even try to sign all those guys. Skjei and Pesce will probably price themselves out, which is understandable. Unless Teuvo takes a deal to stay, he's likely gone as well. I don't think they'll re-sign Guentzel, but some Canes think they will.

Canes don't typically sign guys that are 29-30+ years old to high dollar long term deals. Maybe they'll change their MO for one of these guys, but they moved on from Faulk, Hamilton, and Trocheck. They have a value for a guy and won't exceed it, even if it means losing them.

No, Orlov isn't a cap dump.

Why would a team get a deal? If Necas is made available, there will be lots of teams wanting to acquire him.
How is Carolina planning to replace the minutes played by Pesce and Skjei? The free agent market doesn’t offer many better options. Brandon Montour wil be very expensive.Trading for defensemen is expensive. It appears Scott Morrow will turn pro.

When Carolina allowed Trocheck to walk as a free agent, they already acquired Kotkaniemi from Montreal the previous summer.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
How is Carolina planning to replace the minutes played by Pesce and Skjei? The free agent market doesn’t offer many better options. Brandon Montour wil be very expensive.Trading for defensemen is expensive. It appears Scott Morrow will turn pro.

When Carolina allowed Trocheck to walk as a free agent, they already acquired Kotkaniemi from Montreal the previous summer.

Probably by promoting both Orlov and Chatfield from the third pair to the second pair. They were the "third" pair this year, but played an equal number of minutes for the most part as the other two pairs. Then, sign a rookie and a cheap vet to play true third pair minutes.

Daeavorn

livin' that no caps life
Oct 8, 2019
Raleigh, NC

Next year we have Orlov for one more year, and morrow is also apparently close to signing. We will probably sign some FA 3rd pair defensemen or trade with someone.

Year after next is when Nikishin comes over and Orlov's deal ends. Then we will see what Burns wants to do if he is still in any position to keep playing.

Reactions: MinJaBen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad