Value of: Necas

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I'm not a fan of either team, but I've been thinking about a deal around Ehlers and Necas. This would not be a 1 for 1 deal, and it would likely require extensions to be agreed upon, but I think both players could benefit from the deal. Necas should be able to play center long term in Winnipeg, and Ehlers would likely get more ice time under a new coach, particularly if Carolina doesn't keep both Teravainen and Guentzel. I'll emphasize that there would be more to the deal than just the two players, especially if extensions are involved, but I think the basis makes sense.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I'm not a fan of either team, but I've been thinking about a deal around Ehlers and Necas. This would not be a 1 for 1 deal, and it would likely require extensions to be agreed upon, but I think both players could benefit from the deal. Necas should be able to play center long term in Winnipeg, and Ehlers would likely get more ice time under a new coach, particularly if Carolina doesn't keep both Teravainen and Guentzel. I'll emphasize that there would be more to the deal than just the two players, especially if extensions are involved, but I think the basis makes sense.

Personally I would consider that, depending on what you mean not one for one. Change for both could be beneficial.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
MTL 1st* and Jordan Harris for Necas and Nikishin?

Post lottery, so probably in the 6-7 range.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

86f8c301-1da4-40ab-ad7a-a2b580c8fa66_text.gif

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Based on age, injury history, and contract status, I would assume Winnipeg needs to add a bit to Ehlers. But again, if extensions for either player are involved, then that changes their values.

I would pursue that bc it fills needs on both teams.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Ehlers of little interest when trading away necas.

He is too old to extend for any big number and term. Then add in his injury history
I guess it depends what you are looking for in a Necas trade. If you are trying to acquire a player to take Necas’ spot, I doubt you’re going to get an offer that includes a better forward than Ehlers.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I guess it depends what you are looking for in a Necas trade. If you are trying to acquire a player to take Necas’ spot, I doubt you’re going to get an offer that includes a better forward than Ehlers.
That is true but we aren’t looking to acquire a guy that wont likely be on our roster for more than a season and may have troubles staying on the ice. Ehlers is great, when he is on the ice.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
That is true but we aren’t looking to acquire a guy that wont likely be on our roster for more than a season and may have troubles staying on the ice. Ehlers is great, when he is on the ice.
Yes, I only think a deal like this would be made if Ehlers comes with a reasonable extension. Otherwise, it doesn’t make sense for Carolina.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Yes, I only think a deal like this would be made if Ehlers comes with a reasonable extension. Otherwise, it doesn’t make sense for Carolina.
I see Ehlers chasing every dollar he can get because he signed that sweetheart deal. I don’t see him leaving money on the table for us.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
So is Guentzel by that logic
To be fair, that poster you responded to agrees with that Guentzel stance on our Canes board, so it's consistent with that logic.

Whether we fans agree or disagree, it's how the Canes management has operated the last 6 years. They have been consistent on not giving high dollar, long term deals to guys 29-30+ years old. That could change with one of Guentzel, Skjei, Pesce, (or Slavin next year), but it's how they've operated to date.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Teuvo, Necas, Guenzel, Jarvis, Skjei , Pesce , All have to resigned ...
Gezzzz , Don't think they will be able to sign them all.
Good thing Necas is RFA ,

But the Habs could be a good trade partner..

Haven't been following the canes really this year,
Is Orlov a cap dumb ?

Necas is a great player i'd like to see on the habs, but I am not sure the habs are such a good trading partner. Trading for Necas will likely hurt a team's future and i dont think montreal has pieces in place to trade valuable pieces so that it wont hurt them right away.

If the expectation is that we trade a Hutson or Reinbacher, then we'd just be creating a hole somewhere else to acquire Necas. Also, is he a C or a winger? I saw a few comments in different boards, but i think this hurts his value; I wouldnt rate a winger the same way i would rate a center in terms of contributions on the ice. A good C may get you a good D, but i dont see the same for wingers.

If there is interest in picks or players like mailloux, xhekaj, barron, harris, beck, roy, etc - im all for talking though, but that would probably lead to a "quantity for quality " type deal.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
When you're up against the cap, you keep your best players who need contracts. You pare the roster to become cap compliant by looking to your most expendable players.

The cap doesn't force you to dump your best players. It forces you to deal from your depth to keep your best players. Necas will be in Carolina. Others might have to go to pay for it.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Necas is a great player i'd like to see on the habs, but I am not sure the habs are such a good trading partner. Trading for Necas will likely hurt a team's future and i dont think montreal has pieces in place to trade valuable pieces so that it wont hurt them right away.

If the expectation is that we trade a Hutson or Reinbacher, then we'd just be creating a hole somewhere else to acquire Necas. Also, is he a C or a winger? I saw a few comments in different boards, but i think this hurts his value; I wouldnt rate a winger the same way i would rate a center in terms of contributions on the ice. A good C may get you a good D, but i dont see the same for wingers.

If there is interest in picks or players like mailloux, xhekaj, barron, harris, beck, roy, etc - im all for talking though, but that would probably lead to a "quantity for quality " type deal.
Necas is a winger. Anyone stating he is a C or is capable of playing C at the NHL level is lying to you or doesn’t have a clue about Necas. He hasn’t done it and likely isn’t going to do it. People need to stop making Necas as a C a thing, it’s not going to happen. He is a big beautiful winger and we need to accept him for who he is.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
If CAR was willing to take picks I’d pretty willingly offer PIT 1st or VGK 1st and SJS 2nd this year and Bordeleau for Necas if we won Celebrini.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022

I do not think Habs will be looking for Necas as he is already 25. They will be looking for someone younger than Suzuki. Plus Habs already have a solid base of right handed players in Caufield, Suzuki, Dach plus prospects like Beck and Mešár. They will be looking for left handed player who can play center or winger with size (Lundell, Kaakko, Voronkov to name few tips).

Reactions: Gaud

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Canes have 30 millions in cap space this summer.

Jarvis doesn't have arbitration, so they can force him into a bridge if needed.

If I was a betting man, TT and Pesce (or Skjei) are more likely to be cap casualties.

Guentzal - Aho - Jarvis
Svechnikov - Staal - Necas
KK - Kuznetsov - Fast
Lemieux - Drury - XXXX

This seems about right...

If I we're to bet:

In - Guentzel (around 8.5), Necas (around 6), Jarvis (bridged at a lower AAV 4?), Chatfield (1.75), Drury (1.35),

Out - Teravainen, Skjei, Pesce, Noesen, Martinook...

----------------------

Jake Guentzel - Sebastien Aho - Seth Jarvis
Andrei Svechnikov - Evgeni Kuznetsov - Martin Necas
Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Jordan Staal - Jesper Fast
Brendan Lemieux - Jack Drury - XXXX (Someone with speed on Min Noah Gregor/Justin Bailey)

Jaccob Slavin - Brent Burns
Dmitry Orlov - Scott Morrow
XXX (3 mill defenseman with mobility) - Jalen Chatfield

Andersen
Kochetkov

Reactions: Unsustainable

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
This seems about right...

If I we're to bet:

In - Guentzel (around 8.5), Necas (around 6), Jarvis (bridged at a lower AAV 4?), Chatfield (1.75), Drury (1.35),

Out - Teravainen, Skjei, Pesce, Noesen, Martinook...

----------------------

Jake Guentzel - Sebastien Aho - Seth Jarvis
Andrei Svechnikov - Evgeni Kuznetsov - Martin Necas
Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Jordan Staal - Jesper Fast
Brendan Lemieux - Jack Drury - XXXX (Someone with speed on Min Noah Gregor/Justin Bailey)

Jaccob Slavin - Brent Burns
Dmitry Orlov - Scott Morrow
XXX (3 mill defenseman with mobility) - Jalen Chatfield

Andersen
Kochetkov
Not sure Guentzel is back but it’s possible. I think it’s more likely we keep one of Skjei/Pesce. Would be surprised if Martinook isn’t back, he’s a leader on the team and a real glue guy. Noesen is great at what he does but we might lose him.

Jarvis is the interesting one. He has been given an opportunity to breakout and he did just that. Canes may want to try and lock him up long term to get cost certainty for the future but we will see about the cap structure. Necas and Jarvis are absolute must sign priorities so they come first and then everyone else is next

Reactions: Daeavorn

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Then why would Carolina give up Necas if they aren't upgrading at forward? Maybe you can argue for a long-term piece on defense but it needs to be a great piece to move Necas.

There's plenty of space to lock up Necas and Jarvis long-term with $31M in cap space next season. Just because Necas would have been a key part of a package for a player like Tkachuk or Pettersson doesn't mean Carolina is looking to get rid of him.
Necas just too high for us. Good fit but no sense for us punching a hole somewhere else in our lineup then giving Necas 6 million. Might as well keep our pick and give 7 million to a DeBrusk type.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
If CAR was willing to take picks I’d pretty willingly offer PIT 1st or VGK 1st and SJS 2nd this year and Bordeleau for Necas if we won Celebrini.
Don't really see Necas getting traded for a collection of lesser pieces but as far as 'value' goes that's probably not terrible I guess. Just don't think it's the type of trade Carolina would be looking to make for him.

Reactions: Tryamw

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Not sure Guentzel is back but it’s possible. I think it’s more likely we keep one of Skjei/Pesce. Would be surprised if Martinook isn’t back, he’s a leader on the team and a real glue guy. Noesen is great at what he does but we might lose him.

Jarvis is the interesting one. He has been given an opportunity to breakout and he did just that. Canes may want to try and lock him up long term to get cost certainty for the future but we will see about the cap structure. Necas and Jarvis are absolute must sign priorities so they come first and then everyone else is next
If we sell KK, 35m in cap, 8.75m aav for Guentzel for 8 years, 2 year bridge Jarvis at 4.5m, Necas 8 year at 7.5m ish.

That clears us out of Burns and Orlov's contracts.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Don't really see Necas getting traded for a collection of lesser pieces but as far as 'value' goes that's probably not terrible I guess. Just don't think it's the type of trade Carolina would be looking to make for him.
Kind of what I figured. It is likely a mid 1st, first pick of the 2nd round, and a pretty good NHL ready prospect and gives you the cap space to sign Guentzel/others. Makes sense they’d want to keep Necas though. Just not sure how it’s possible with keeping the rest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad