Player Discussion: Neal Pionk Part 2

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
The herd tends to be wrong about 98% of the time. The hockey people were always high on Pionk.
What happened to the pup in a burning fire comment? :naughty:

I am definitely an optimist, there is no doubt about that, and that might have colored my initial opinion somewhat. What was more impactful for me was Pionk's pedigree, the impossible situation he was put in last year, the overall performance of the Rangers last year (including other D on the team and goaltending), and, most importantly, my faith in Jets management.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
What happened to the pup in a burning fire comment? :naughty:

I am definitely an optimist, there is no doubt about that, and that might have colored my initial opinion somewhat. What was more impactful for me was Pionk's pedigree, the impossible situation he was put in last year, the overall performance of the Rangers last year (including other D on the team and goaltending), and, most importantly, my faith in Jets management.
I never said it. But ya, if we go back through the original thread there were people who liked Pionk, I know he always caught my eye whenever watching the Rags. Can't enough high skill dmen. Plus I was never that high on Trouba....................or his app ;)

Reactions: Jet

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Well it's one game from the half season mark , is it still to small of sample size to make an evaluating on Pionk ?

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
Well it's one game from the half season mark , is it still to small of sample size to make an evaluating on Pionk ?
Watching him play this year, it seems like his play alone, (never mind Heinola) is making the trade seem a lot closer to a saw off than I ever expected. Granted, I was never a huge Trouba fan, so my opinion is a wee bit slanted.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
He's been a great surprise. Hope he hits 50+ pts this year. Currently with 4 others with 25 pts which is 18th among dmen

On pace for 50+ points, and leading the team D in relCF%, and positive in relxGF% with Sbisa as his main partner. That's an impressive first half, and it doesn't look like a fluke to me. He's been strong and consistent.
How is trouba fairing in the relative stats.

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
I am a fan.

The thing is, if Buff was playing this year, I don't think we would have really known what Neal was all about. Funny how things work.

Reactions: kellhunter

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
No I'd say he is the real deal. 40 games and he has proven to be a solid pairing guy with real good offensive instincts. Nice underlying numbers as well.

Reactions: kittiecarlyle

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
He's been a great surprise. Hope he hits 50+ pts this year. Currently with 4 others with 25 pts which is 18th among dmen

Trouba is at 43.5 Corsi and -1.4 Rel Corsi % (Pionk is at +2.8)

That would make him -4.2 Rel to Pionk Corsi %:DD

Last edited:
Reactions: Mbraunm

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Trouba is -2.4 in rel xGF%. Pionk is +2.08.

Reactions: DRW204

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Watching him play this year, it seems like his play alone, (never mind Heinola) is making the trade seem a lot closer to a saw off than I ever expected. Granted, I was never a huge Trouba fan, so my opinion is a wee bit slanted.

We won this trade hands down. Especially considering the situation we were in.
Trouba’s numerous brain farts always drove me crazy. Memories of Zach Bogosian started popping into my mind when he played.
Pionk has been fantastic and Heinola will likely be a top D in this league.
Fantastic job Chevy!

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
I didn’t know much about Pionk when he was traded here. But I was told “he’s the worst defenseman in the NHL”.....I’m glad that statement wasn’t true.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I didn’t know much about Pionk when he was traded here. But I was told “he’s the worst defenseman in the NHL”.....I’m glad that statement wasn’t true.
What people don’t realize, and I don’t mean to slag on anyone, is that HF Jets has very knowledgeable posters that use eye test and analytics together and form very good opinions. That is not always the case on all team boards, especially when evaluating a players performance on an awful team in a losing season. I enjoy reading our board, most times we got some real good info to read. There is always something to learn, and I appreciate what people have to offer.

Reactions: ps241

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I think Pionk is closer to a #2 than a #3 that doesn't mean he and Mo should always be on the same line as both are capable of carrying a pairing and both have chemistry with their partners. The chemistry part is often forgotten here that it's not just about talent.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
He is proving to be rugged as well. The guy gets seriously worked over some games, but just keeps on going. Is it true that he is related to Gumby?

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
If Pionk does put up 50 points, or close to that, what does that mean come contract time?

Is he a $5.5+ mill/yr player? Does he use Morrissey as a comparable?

Reactions: probablywrongbut

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
If Pionk does put up 50 points, or close to that, what does that mean come contract time?

Is he a $5.5+ mill/yr player? Does he use Morrissey as a comparable?
Either way they have to sign him long term as he is a keeper. Hopefully the fact that he has only had one great season is enough to keep the price tag low.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
What people don’t realize, and I don’t mean to slag on anyone, is that HF Jets has very knowledgeable posters that use eye test and analytics together and form very good opinions. That is not always the case on all team boards, especially when evaluating a players performance on an awful team in a losing season. I enjoy reading our board, most times we got some real good info to read. There is always something to learn, and I appreciate what people have to offer.

excellent post and I agree with you.

Reactions: Mbraunm

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Pionk pt 1 and the signing threads are both hilarious. But solid props to @Scheifele55 and (spits) @Trinity for positive assessments right off the hop in page 1 of Pionk I. There were others too.

Nearly six months after signing, anybody think that contract "lools like Kulikov's?"

:sarcasm:

Thanks! I did the same with Laurent Brossoit and so far it holds true. He is awesome on a great team and mediocre on a team that isn't. I imagine this year will be... average.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Just noticed Pionk is 8th in the league for d-man assists, not too shabby
On a 52 point pace with very nice underlying numbers playing on the 2nd pairing with a at best a 6/7 partner. IMO given the right opportunity he is capable of a monster offensive season down the road. How I wish Chevy went against the grain last off season and signed him long term.

Reactions: Jets 31

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
On a 52 point pace with very nice underlying numbers playing on the 2nd pairing with a at best a 6/7 partner. IMO given the right opportunity he is capable of a monster offensive season down the road. How I wish Chevy went against the grain last off season and signed him long term.
The whole deal was against the grain. We thought we were losing out big team on that deal. Right now pionk is worth Trouba without worrying bout salaries, without adding Heinola. Even the pionk and Heinola for Lemieux and Trouba is looking good.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The whole deal was against the grain. We thought we were losing out big team on that deal. Right now pionk is worth Trouba without worrying bout salaries, without adding Heinola. Even the pionk and Heinola for Lemieux and Trouba is looking good.
I'm a big fan as well, and he is an exciting player. What I'm taking about is what if Chevy really rolled the dice and locked him up for $ 4.5 - $5M X 6. He would have got crucified at the time, but now he would be a genius. Now I'm hoping for something long term in the $6 M range.

Reactions: Jets 31

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I'm a big fan as well, and he is an exciting player. What I'm taking about is what if Chevy really rolled the dice and locked him up for $ 4.5 - $5M X 6. He would have got crucified at the time, but now he would be a genius. Now I'm hoping for something long term in the $6 M range.

Agreed.......I love this trade more and more every day from a hockey POV and when consider the non hockey factors I really really love this trade. We have a good young top 4 D who is still improving and wants to play for our team. His style of play and ability to skate, pass and offensively we've never had before he's exciting to watch.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Can he ask for 6 after one season? We could probably got him for long term for cheaper than that before this season as he wasn’t that well thought of. NYC seemed to be glad to be rid of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad