Player Discussion: Neal Pionk Part 2

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I wonder if we can lock him up long-term at a cheap price. But if we get Buff back, I think this team has a good shot at winning the cup again.

Reactions: GNP

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I think he has a cool name
"Pionk" is a sound effect, kind of when one of the Three Stooges gets poked in the eye...

FinishedTerribleGrasshopper-max-1mb.gif

Ukkosenjumala

Nov 24, 2017
Finland
Was checking out something else and noticed Pionk is actually leading the Jets in 5v5 TOI, guy is playing more than Morrissey with a 51,5% CF. I know there were people who thought he was getting underrated after the trade, myself included but I don't think anybody saw this coming. Also no goals allowed on PP when Pionk is on the ice, a minor detail but when you look at the other guys who play the most PP and have a GF% of 72%, it's a positive.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I'll take brains over size any day. He's been much better than anticipated.

Well this is partially true, that you have to take brains over size -- but by how much ?? I think both are important, and the Jet's have to be careful of icing to many undersized defenseman.

If you have a small man on defense -- I'd like to see that guy paired up with a bigger stronger man, to keep a physical presence.

Reactions: dlam

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Pionk was once again arguably the best defenseman on the ice tonight. Big minutes, monster possession numbers and a big part of the game winner. Not bad for a guy who was almost universally roasted when we acquired him. Now I really wished Chevy pissed off everyone by signing him long term. He is getting more and more expensive by the game.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Pionk was once again arguably the best defenseman on the ice tonight. Big minutes, monster possession numbers and a big part of the game winner. Not bad for a guy who was almost universally roasted when we acquired him. Now I really wished Chevy pissed off everyone by signing him long term. He is getting more and more expensive by the game.

Agree that he's been excellent overall, and this may have been his best game. I don't remember him being universally roasted here -- many were concerned over the perceived value in return for a top-pairing defenceman in Trouba, which isn't that surprising, and the only info on Pionk was from Rangers fans, who mostly viewed him as somewhere between generationally terrible and a reclamation project with some upside, and from watching his games on YouTube, where he frankly looked awful a lot of the time. I'm not sure how even a close observer could have predicted his play this far -- though those of us following him in TC thought he looked much better than advertised, and definitely by preseason the fan tide was turning.

I bet Chevy wishes he'd signed him forever, but it was a fair price for a show-me contract (quite a few were pretty angry at the AAV in that signing thread), though a 3-5 deal sure would look good now. Hopefully he keeps it up, enjoys his time here, and signs a reasonable next contract, even if it's a short one. He's been a real bright spot for sure this year.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Agree that he's been excellent overall, and this may have been his best game. I don't remember him being universally roasted here -- many were concerned over the perceived value in return for a top-pairing defenceman in Trouba, which isn't that surprising, and the only info on Pionk was from Rangers fans, who mostly viewed him as somewhere between generationally terrible and a reclamation project with some upside, and from watching his games on YouTube, where he frankly looked awful a lot of the time. I'm not sure how even a close observer could have predicted his play this far -- though those of us following him in TC thought he looked much better than advertised, and definitely by preseason the fan tide was turning.

I bet Chevy wishes he'd signed him forever, but it was a fair price for a show-me contract (quite a few were pretty angry at the AAV in that signing thread), though a 3-5 deal sure would look good now. Hopefully he keeps it up, enjoys his time here, and signs a reasonable next contract, even if it's a short one. He's been a real bright spot for sure this year.
Go back and read the original Pionk thread. I recently did and to say he was roasted by many Jets fans is an understatement. Actually on our board there were Rags fans defending him from the hate he was getting from Jets posters.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Go back and read the original Pionk thread. I recently did and to say he was roasted by many Jets fans is an understatement. Actually on our board there were Rags fans defending him from the hate he was getting from Jets posters.
Just read the Pionk thread when we signed him to that huge overpay of 3 million a season and all i can say is :biglaugh:There were a few positive posts but not very many , good humor , the sky is falling .:scared: :laugh:

Reactions: Jet and Ducky10

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Pionk pt 1 and the signing threads are both hilarious. But solid props to @Scheifele55 and (spits) @Trinity for positive assessments right off the hop in page 1 of Pionk I. There were others too.

Nearly six months after signing, anybody think that contract "lools like Kulikov's?"

:sarcasm:

Reactions: Jets 31

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Pionk makes me think 3 things about analytics:
  1. Current stats don't properly isolate the skill of the player
  2. Descriptive stats from one season shouldn't be used to predict the next. I'd say even predictive stats can't, as player development is a real thing
  3. Too many sports analysts are presenting their stats along with their opinions. I'm eating crow over Pionk, but reviewing the tweets at the time, we were sold the worst defenseman in the league

Reactions: Jets 31 and Jet

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Some of the overreactions about the Trouba-Pionk trade (I feel sick, want to puke, worst trade ever!) make me think a lot of the people were not around or don't remember some of the lopsided Jets 1.0 trade failures. I also think fans, media and the Trouba camp got everyone worked up into a big lather as to what he was worth so the return seemed pretty underwhelming at the time to many.

Personally, I was glad to see him go because the situation was becoming a burden on team cohesiveness and have been pleased with how Pionk has turned out. I would say trade has worked out for both teams.

Reactions: Jedub and Jets 31

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
The "everything-is-fine-pup-in-a-burning-room" people were always high on Pionk.

source.gif

Fixed it for you, ;). Saying Pionk would have been this good before seeing him in a Jets uniform is like my mom bragging that she picked Columbus to beat Tampa Bay in the playoffs last year because she prefers Columbus' jerseys (a hockey person she ain't).

Yes, Pionk is much better than advertised, but there was no real evidence to suggest he would have been this much of a pleasant surprise before the season started. Regardless, this is one meal of crow I'm happy to eat.

f9dca823570d51c1ffea3fbb4b72cc4f.jpg

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
I was one of them but I defend myself with the fact that I've been wrong roughly 90% of the time, so really same ol same ol here. Dish I enjoy the most is crow when it comes to the jets so please sir may I have some more! The way pionk uses what he has to neutralize larger guys infront of the net or against the boards is really impressive. Morrissey and pionk will be great mentors to guys like Heinola.

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
You have to give the much maligned Jets pro scouting department their due. We don't really know what happened with the Trouba trade, but I would guess there were a few options. Scouting saw something they could work with in Pionk and it paid off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->