NCC terminates Lebreton deal : Mediation to save the deal underway

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Except I don't think Devcore will go into a partnership with him.. they may build a rink and rent to him, but thatd be it..

The NCC could also pick a bid with no arena to not have to go through any more headaches involving Melnyk. In the next round of proposals, a rink could be a negative.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
The NCC could also pick a bid with no arena to not have to go through any more headaches involving Melnyk. In the next round of proposals, a rink could be a negative.

Possible. But I think thats where the NHL steps in, a downtown rink is like gold to them. I don't know how they would step in, be it financially or not, but I can't imagine they are just going to let this slip away

Take a Bath Son

Jan 15, 2018
At this point it feels like Devcore is just another party in line to get screwed in a Melnyk partnership. This maniac is not stable.
The events of the last 2 days confirm what many have been saying for a long time.

Melnyk just seriously sliced his team valuation by bungling this. He needed this deal and if he was of sound mind he would have been able to negotiate this deal. He failed miserably likely due to his mental stability

Ruddy doesn’t need this gig. He can build anywhere. Further he demonstrated the commitment to this project while the senators contributed zero dollars on the work done to date demonstrating a lack of commitment financial or otherwise.

This is the most epic of fails on his part and it will be his sorry legacy. He is not of sound mind to have let this project slip away regardless of what he may claim. The fans of this city have suffered long enough and the NHL should have stepped in long ago.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Is anyone else starting to think Melnyk is senile?

Seriously not trying to make a joke or speak out of anger, he mailed a calendar of himself to government workers, wants a free arena built for him and expects to pay no rent in it just because he owns the hockey team. Aging doesn't pick and choose who to pick on and from what has been leaked about Melnyks behaviour behind closed doors from partners. What toll did getting and waiting an extended time for a liver donor do? Forget his financial short comings is he mentally capable to own and operate a NHL team?

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
The NHL won't let him sell for a discount, the minimum they will allow a sale is what Vegas paid to get in the league, especially with Seattle now paying for a team as well.

i read somewhere a a year or two ago that melnyk was about to sell the team for around 400 million but bettman stepped in and said that he could only sell it for the Vegas price.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Is anyone else starting to think Melnyk is senile?

Seriously not trying to make a joke or speak out of anger, he mailed a calendar of himself to government workers, wants a free arena built for him and expects to pay no rent in it just because he owns the hockey team. Aging doesn't pick and choose who to pick on and from what has been leaked about Melnyks behaviour behind closed doors from partners. What toll did getting and waiting an extended time for a liver donor do? Forget his financial short comings is he mentally capable to own and operate a NHL team?

I don't believe the NHL has standards on mental stability of owners.. whether he is or isn't mentally stable.

What the NHL cares about is his financial standing.

And now its all come to public light that he can't afford to do what is best for the franchise. That is what the NHL is discussing right now.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Who is the buyer ?

Probably Andre Desmarais. Close with Bettman and have more than enough wealth.

In 2012, Bettman reportedly approached him about a potential team in Quebec City. My guess is he'd be approached again for Ottawa. He was also involved in the Devcore bid.

Take a Bath Son

Jan 15, 2018
Who is the buyer ?
Apparently there may have been 2 potential buyers who both wanted to keep the team here. Daly confirmed an offer was made in June.

Rumour had Desmarais and/or Laliberté. A second rumour had OSEG. These rumours came from decent hockey insiders in the Montreal area

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Apparently there may have been 2 potential buyers who both wanted to keep the team here. Daly confirmed an offer was made in June.

Rumour had Desmarais and/or Laliberté. A second rumour had OSEG. These rumours came from decent hockey insiders in the Montreal area
OSEG has zero interest from what I know (at least not the existing partners). Laliberte on his own sounds like a ticket to Quebec City. Desmarais could be good.

Reactions: Take a Bath Son

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Isn’t Ruddy probably the only realistic buyet now with a lawsuit attached to the Sens?
I know Ruddy has zero interest in owning the Sens. Maybe as a small stakeholder but no interest in that size investment.

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
Wow. Sincerely, I am truly shocked. Melnyk is a loose cannon, but I always thought his Rendezvous partners would bring him under control, because there's just too much money to be made here.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
OSEG has zero interest from what I know (at least not the existing partners). Laliberte on his own sounds like a ticket to Quebec City. Desmarais could be good.

Why would Desmarais move to Quebec City - what do you know about their business; the Quebec arena, the politics of it - besides they are from Quebec????

Reactions: CostPerRebuild

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Dundon just bought the Canes (he's a 61% stake owner) for 450 million. He has the option to buy the other 39% stake in 3 years.

With Seattle coming into the league for xxx amount, they aren't going to allow someone to undercut that price by a substantial amount.

Its a different scenario as the expansion teams are buying market share. The price of the Canes is definitely the most relevant comparable. I just think whoever is buying the team see's the distress and likely is trying to undercut the price. I heard 390 was what they were offering but the league wouldn't allow the sale.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Melnyk is destroying this franchise
I could see the Sens moving to Quebec city in the near future
Melnyk is like a black hole

Reactions: branch

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Why would Desmarais move to Quebec City - what do you know about their business; the Quebec arena, the politics of it - besides they are from Quebec????
Please read again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad