Player Discussion NCAA Prospects

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
There s another one to keep an eye on, Nico Sturm was the top prospect listed by TSN most recently on NCAA free agents and he attended Ottawa camp last year, we may have a shot.

If Dorion does not bring on atleast one high level NCAA free agent ill be highly disappointed.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
There s another one to keep an eye on, Nico Sturm was the top prospect listed by TSN most recently on NCAA free agents and he attended Ottawa camp last year, we may have a shot.

If Dorion does not bring on atleast one high level NCAA free agent ill be highly disappointed.

They should have the inside track on Kuffner..

Top 2019 College Hockey Free Agents - Last Word on Hockey

Has some info on a number of Free agents .. its a multipart article

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
As far as forwards are concerned, the only guy avail as a college UFA who has a chance of being a top-6 guy is Taro Hirose.

Hirose is a typical NCAA undrafted star - a late bloomer and very undersized. If his skating is up to par, he could be a nice skill guy for someone. He's a ridiculously good playmaker with high hockey IQ. Size and speed are the concerns here.

Otherwise, Veronneau is Alex Formenton without the offensive upside, but his speed can play well in the bottom-6. Could turn into a nice two-way PK guy who puts up 6-8 goals a year. He is not a scorer - won't ever be at the NHL level.

Sturm is for sure going to be an NHLer, on someone's 4th line. His hands are not NHL level, but he's a defensive bulldog. Some coach is going to love him on his shutdown line making ELC money. Kid is relentless defensively.

Defelsively, there's Jimmy Schuldt, a left-shot defenceman who is easily the best of the defensive class (and quite frankly, the only worthy defenceman of note). Kid has a rifle of a shot and is improving defensively. Best case scenario is he's a 2nd pairing guy who can be the point man on your 2nd PP unit. He has a high floor, he looks like an NHLer for sure. He's already been offered multiple NHL contracts and turned them down.

Best goalie is Matt Robson, who is one of those goalies who has the skill to be a starting goalie anywhere, but lacks consistency. Will probably be an NHL backup or an AHL/European starter.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Forgot to comment on Kuffner: the concern is that his game depends on him being excellent at out-muscling guys in the corners and digging pucks out to generate a lot of his offensive chances, but while he is strong enough to overpower players in NCAA, he lacks the strength to do it at the NHL level. There's also concern that he is too dependent on Verroneau.

He will for sure get a contract though. A lot of his issues won't be apparent until a team gets to the "let's see how he looks against NHLers" stage. Could be a great signing, or a bust. He's a total sign-and-pray guy.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Great summaries, Bonk. Thank you for taking the time to share.

I think a lot of us are hearing and reading "Ottawa natives" and starting to connect the dots. It's good to actually hear a realistic view of these guys.

Reactions: BonkTastic

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Great summaries, Bonk. Thank you for taking the time to share.

I think a lot of us are hearing and reading "Ottawa natives" and starting to connect the dots. It's good to actually hear a realistic view of these guys.

Kuffner and Vereoneau playing together and having great chemistry might pay off for a team who is willing to make them a "pairs" offer. Sign them both, play them on the same line in the AHL, and see how they react to pro hockey.

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008

Julie Robenhymer
@JulieRobenhymer

NHL teams calling UFA Max Veronneau today. He studies mechanical engineering at Princeton. I asked what kind of job you get with that degree. He smiled and said, ‘I hope I never have to find out.’ Pretty crazy considering he nearly hung ‘em up 4 yrs ago. Feature coming soon!

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Forgot to comment on Kuffner: the concern is that his game depends on him being excellent at out-muscling guys in the corners and digging pucks out to generate a lot of his offensive chances, but while he is strong enough to overpower players in NCAA, he lacks the strength to do it at the NHL level. There's also concern that he is too dependent on Verroneau.

He will for sure get a contract though. A lot of his issues won't be apparent until a team gets to the "let's see how he looks against NHLers" stage. Could be a great signing, or a bust. He's a total sign-and-pray guy.
Keyed in on Kuffner at camp - I have to add in that he for sure has an NHL release.

Reactions: teddygmr

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Assuming we sign Daccord we only have room for 1 of these guys right? (Currently at 48 contracts for the year).

I guess we could sign one of these guys to an ATO, but I doubt any of the "big names" will want to go that route.

The only guy that sticks out to me this year is Schuldt, who I believe is on another level. Assuming we don't get him, I'd be okay taking a shot on any of the top 5 or 6 forwards available.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Kuffner and Sturm were both at our development camp, right? Or was it rookie tournament? I know they have both at least been to one...

Assuming we sign Daccord we only have room for 1 of these guys right? (Currently at 48 contracts for the year).

I guess we could sign one of these guys to an ATO, but I doubt any of the "big names" will want to go that route.

The only guy that sticks out to me this year is Schuldt, who I believe is on another level. Assuming we don't get him, I'd be okay taking a shot on any of the top 5 or 6 forwards available.

That is technically true about the 48 contracts but dont forget, we can still make trades. I am sure some team would take Beaudin or Sturtz or whoever for future considerations or something if we needed to make space

Also I heard questions about Shuldts upside, and he seems to have stagnated a bit. Have you seen him play? What are your thoughts on his skills & struggles?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Also I heard questions about Shuldts upside, and he seems to have stagnated a bit. Have you seen him play? What are your thoughts on his skills & struggles?

Not at all... he's gotten better, if anything.

He spent this season trying to refine his defensive game, and he's had huge gains in that side of his development, while not really sacrificing any offensive numbers.

He did have a bit of a knee-on-knee earlier in the year, but the other guy got the worst of it.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Not at all... he's gotten better, if anything.

He spent this season trying to refine his defensive game, and he's had huge gains in that side of his development, while not really sacrificing any offensive numbers.

Thanks! I should have specified he seems to have stagnated offensively, but the fact that he's honed his defensive game more than makes up for that

Is defensive game still the thing he needs the most work on, would you say?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Thanks! I should have specified he seems to have stagnated offensively, but the fact that he's honed his defensive game more than makes up for that

Is defensive game still the thing he needs the most work on, would you say?

Yeah, he's not great defensively from a technique perspective. He blocks shots and chases players into the corners, so he has the willingness to do the hard work, but his gap control is poor and he gets turned around easily in his own zone - high skill players who can out-skate him are a problem.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

I feel like we have seen this before lol... they always beat us out for top college FAs. I bet they are offering a top 6 opportunity with McDavid or Drai as soon as he can get there...

R2010

May 23, 2011
Getting one of the Ottawa boys to come home would be great. Both would be a coup. Any time we can get NCAA free agents it can go a lot of ways so signing a few and hoping some turn out is a good strategy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad