NCAA Hockey Expansion Thread

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
College Hockey News just reported a story that depicts Lindenwood will make an announcement during summer to go DI in 2022. Congrats to all the Missourians here!
Thanks, but that report won't matter to any but a few who don't live in the St. Louis Metro area (East Central Missouri). And there's debate over how many of the local MO residents will care.

ETA: Mr. Wodon fell short on his fact checking. But it's the thought that counts.

Last edited:
Reactions: mk80

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
Those schools don't get all the top recruits, but they do get most. If/When more Power 5 schools develop hockey programs, smaller/regional/unique schools that play Division I hockey will have difficulty getting mid-level recruits and being competitive at that level.

I just wanted to interject to note that his characterization of the "big schools" might need some refinement. From an athletic standpoint, BU stands out among the three that were named. The mighty Patriot League is hardly a Power 5 conference and BU has no football team, no baseball team, and little reason to talk about any sport other than hockey. Oh wait, the basketball team occasionally wins the conference and the opportunity to get throttled in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

A better comparison for BU would be Denver or North Dakota; lesser-known schools that have storied hockey programs but are practically unknown in other sports. Then again, to me, that's one of the great things about college hockey.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
I just wanted to interject to note that his characterization of the "big schools" might need some refinement. From an athletic standpoint, BU stands out among the three that were named. The mighty Patriot League is hardly a Power 5 conference and BU has no football team, no baseball team, and little reason to talk about any sport other than hockey. Oh wait, the basketball team occasionally wins the conference and the opportunity to get throttled in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

A better comparison for BU would be Denver or North Dakota; lesser-known schools that have storied hockey programs but are practically unknown in other sports. Then again, to me, that's one of the great things about college hockey.

Yes, I should have refined that definition a bit better. Power 5 schools plus the traditional hockey powers (I'd include BU/Denver/UND/Minnesota-Duluth/etc. there) generally draw most of the top recruits.

But that said, if you see a few more Power 5 schools add hockey, how will those tradition hockey powers be doing?

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
College Hockey News just reported a story that depicts Lindenwood will make an announcement during summer to go DI in 2022. Congrats to all the Missourians here!

Lindenwood isn't a blip on the radar of the Missouri sports scene, but I do hope they actually put in an effort to be competitive, unlike they've done with their women's program, if they actually do go forward and start a real college hockey program.

Reactions: Ridge1982 and mk80

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car

Actually, it just says they hope to, and once again, Wachler admits that Lindenwood doesn't yet have the money.

"Our intent is to move forward, but we need to be able to raise some money to support it," said Lindenwood athletic director Brad Wachler, who has been in his position since 2016. "I think we'll get there. We're trying to secure a few lead gifts, then we'll make a public announcement. We hope by summer time we're in position to announce that with a public statement."

So really, there's no news here.

Reactions: mk80 and S E P H

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I promise I'm am responding to these without my LU blinders on and looking objectively at things.

Thanks, but that report won't matter to any but a few who don't live in the St. Louis Metro area (East Central Missouri). And there's debate over how many of the local MO residents will care.

I do believe there is a market that they can tap into. Hockey fans in St. Louis are knowledgeable about the product given to them, one complaint I heard about the Chill for instance from talking to people is that there was no sense in seeing minor leaguers that didn't have a shot at making it. But people said when I've them if they would support a local NCAA college program they've been favorably receptive.

Since the move into Centene I have had many people in and out of the rinks see my LU hockey gear and ask when such a team was coming and saying they would love to go to games, and buy season tickets since the Blues Cup win and just general escalating ticket prices have hurt the family attendance budget a bit.

Lindenwood isn't a blip on the radar of the Missouri sports scene, but I do hope they actually put in an effort to be competitive, unlike they've done with their women's program, if they actually do go forward and start a real college hockey program.
This is an area where Lindenwood can get their name into the conversation being the only D1 program around for hockey. They could try to be big in D2 football but who cares with Mizzou, Illinois, SEMO, SIU, etc. dominating that (although LU is the 2019 GLVC Football Champions :nod:), D2 basketball? well again Illinois, Mizzou, SLU, SIU, to a lesser extent SIU-Edwardsville. But as I said in my reply to @JMCx4 I think there is a market they have the opportunity to capture and a niche in the sports scene to fill.

Actually, it just says they hope to, and once again, Wachler admits that Lindenwood doesn't yet have the money.

"Our intent is to move forward, but we need to be able to raise some money to support it," said Lindenwood athletic director Brad Wachler, who has been in his position since 2016. "I think we'll get there. We're trying to secure a few lead gifts, then we'll make a public announcement. We hope by summer time we're in position to announce that with a public statement."

So really, there's no news here.
To this I can only say there is a strong wildfire burning where the smoke is coming from.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMCx4

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... I do believe there is a market that they can tap into. Hockey fans in St. Louis are knowledgeable about the product given to them, one complaint I heard about the Chill for instance from talking to people is that there was no sense in seeing minor leaguers that didn't have a shot at making it. But people said when I've them if they would support a local NCAA college program they've been favorably receptive.

Since the move to into Centene I have had many people in and out of the rinks see my LU hockey gear and ask when such a team was coming and saying they would love to go to games, and buy season tickets since the Blues Cup win and just general escalating ticket prices have hurt the family attendance budget a bit. ...
I hope your observations become reality. Though I would miss "the good old days" of 2020-21, when it was just me & Mrs. JMC & Frank & the occasional 3 or 4 interlopers sitting in the center ice section on the penalty box side of the Centene USA Arena ice. We were the "social distancing pioneers" ... :popcorn:

Reactions: adsfan and mk80

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
To this I can only say there is a strong wildfire burning where the smoke is coming from.

I mean, sure. But again, they don't have the money and are really getting out pretty far over their proverbial skis, especially with this latest quote from Wachler, "We're trying to secure a few lead gifts, then we'll make a public announcement." This, to me, indicates that they have very little, if any, donor money headed towards an NCAA men's hockey program at the moment. Very little, if any, money means very little, if any, chance this happens in the near term.

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
But that said, if you see a few more Power 5 schools add hockey, how will those tradition hockey powers be doing?

The correct answer is...it depends. Would the allure of playing at Alabama, UCLA, Miami of Florida, or Texas A&M override the opportunity to play for a top-tier coach in Scott Sandelin, Greg Carvel, or Jerry York?

Look at the existing "Power 5" schools with hockey teams. Notre Dame was horrible before Jeff Jackson arrived. The tail end of the Mike Eaves and Tom Anastos eras were disasters for Wisconsin and Michigan State respectively. Heck, even Boston College was nearly led down the drain with Steve Cedorchuk at the helm. (I'd mention Boston University, but BU fans like to whine about anything and everything and thought the program was on life support even during the 2008-09 season.)

In their short time as D1 teams, Penn State and Arizona State have had their ups and downs, and while I don't doubt that both could enjoy success, I don't think Denver or North Dakota are too afraid at this point.

Reactions: S E P H

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I mean, sure. But again, they don't have the money and are really getting out pretty far over their proverbial skis, especially with this latest quote from Wachler, "We're trying to secure a few lead gifts, then we'll make a public announcement." This, to me, indicates that they have very little, if any, donor money headed towards an NCAA men's hockey program at the moment. Very little, if any, money means very little, if any, chance this happens in the near term.
I think this is a fair assessment in that there's definitely some ground to cover in fundraising. My latest $200 donation definitely won't cover it all.

But I think given the position of the team priming the roster, and the talk now coming from AD Brad Wachler, I would think they are closer to the at least the tipping point to make the announcement, if not completing their goals, than they are to not having the team at all.

Reactions: Ridge1982

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I think this is a fair assessment in that there's definitely some ground to cover in fundraising. My latest $200 donation definitely won't cover it all. ...
Well, I guess I won't be asking you for that loan now. :oops:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Opinion piece on the topic from College Hockey News ...
May 10, 2021
Huntsville Just Latest Example of College Hockey Conundrum

by Adam Wodon/Managing Editor

Everyone in hockey says they want to "grow the game," and usually that means two things: 1) increasing the amount of viewers/fans/money that the sport generates; and 2) adding more teams.

Of course, particularly on the latter, that's easy to say, and not easy to do. Starting a D-I men's hockey program costs a ton of money.

But even when a school wants to do it, the college hockey community throws up roadblocks. ...

To be fair, it's not the people saying "grow the game" that throw up the roadblocks. Those people are usually coaches, hockey conference commissioners, hockey media and fans.

But the decision makers are the athletic directors, school presidents and Board of Trustees — the ones that make the decisions on money. And most of them (or none) truly give a rat's rump about "growing the game" of college hockey. ...

Read more at: Huntsville Just Latest Example of College Hockey Conundrum

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Reactions: BOS358 and mk80

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
@mk80 ... What's all this then? :vhappy:

Definitely a well deserved award for Zombo coaching the Lions to another dominant ACHA season. Only 2 losses with the second unfortunately being a 2-1 loss to Minot State who seems to have our number at nationals.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
He's a bit late to the party on that tweet, but it will be interesting what if anything develops from TSU's Preds funded study.
Studio hosts for HNIC are not notoriously quick on the hockey uptake.

ETA: Though to Mr. Amber's credit, he apparently does check NHL.com regularly for his social media material.

Last edited:
Reactions: adsfan and mk80

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
So there are some rumblings on Twitter late tonight about Augustana In Sioux Falls, SD. I plan on digging into them a bit more tomorrow but here are some of the tweets I'm seeing

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
So there are some rumblings on Twitter late tonight about Augustana In Sioux Falls, SD. I plan on digging into them a bit more tomorrow but here are some of the tweets I'm seeing

Buccigross's "sources" often seem to be wrong. They also told him Illinois was a done deal, and we're all still waiting for that program to be announced...

Slowe

Feb 8, 2003
Chicago
Visit site
Buccigross's "sources" often seem to be wrong. They also told him Illinois was a done deal, and we're all still waiting for that program to be announced...

Illinois pretty much was a done deal until COVID. They had a press conference scheduled to announce it in the spring of 2020.

Illinois came close to adding Divison I hockey team before coronavirus spread

“According to Whitman (Athletic Director), U of I was about a month away from forming the program before the pandemic changed things.”

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad