NCAA Hockey Expansion Thread

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... It wouldn't be the first time LU has brought an undersized guy whos gone on to have success there. Whether that success is with the team in it's current ACHA form, or with the TBA NCAA team. Either way we'll take him!

Seems to be a decent player in his NAHL junior days. We'll see if its a situation of he just couldn't cut it at AIC or DI, or other factors kept him out of the lineup there.
Very likely just a numbers game. The Yellow Jackets' 2020-21 roster had 4 sophomore forwards & 6 freshman forwards in addition to Jeffers.

Reactions: mk80

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
No offence to TSU, but I want bigger programmes, we already have enough of these secondary markets in hockey like Union College, etc.

Okay, multiple things here. All of them deal with your hockey knowledge and lack thereof.

1. Anything you want has no correlation with reality. I discovered this based on past experience with you.
2. You want bigger programs. This has no correlation with reality. "Why not the Vols?" you asked in a surprised tone. Because the Vols have never expressed interest in varsity hockey and Tennessee State has at least some confirmed interest.
3. You think Union College is a secondary market? They are one of only two high level hockey teams in a market with a metro population over 1 mil. They've won a national championship within the last 10 years. They are the seventh oldest NCAA D1 hockey program. It is the flagship sport of the school. I'll take another Union College over one of your nonsensical University of Tennessee.

Reactions: CrazyEddie20

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Yes. Which is one reason I'm a bit surprised to Tennessee State in the conversation, I had figured Austin Peay might be a candidate for adding a hockey program in that arena. They've put a lot of money into their athletics in recent years, including an $18ish million dollar renovation of their football stadium.

Clarksville was linked with Nashville's future ECHL team as well. As Cedarville's new arena showed us, it's all about who is willing to put a team in the building. And college puck won't always win that battle of "build it and they will come."

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Clarksville was linked with Nashville's future ECHL team as well. As Cedarville's new arena showed us, it's all about who is willing to put a team in the building. And college puck won't always win that battle of "build it and they will come."
Very true. Me saying Austin Peay is just my own personal speculation, no fact behind it other than the arena is being built, and Austin Peay will play basketball there.

TSU coming to DI hockey = another road trip opportunity. That's all I need to know. :handclap:
I have a feeling if TSU hockey does enter the fray, a lot of fans of teams they play will make the trip to Nashville given all the city has to offer outside of hockey.

Has anyone seen any mention/speculation of where they would play? I haven't seen anything on that, although I could have just as easily missed myself.

As far as I know the options would be the usual build an on campus arena, or perhaps using the old Nashville Municipal Auditorium if it can still even host hockey or Bridgestone. But I feel like Bridgestone wouldn't be the best for getting dates with the Preds, and all the events it hosts in a normal year.

Reactions: Barclay Donaldson

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... Has anyone seen any mention/speculation of where they would play? I haven't seen anything on that, although I could have just as easily missed myself.

As far as I know the options would be the usual build an on campus arena, or perhaps using the old Nashville Municipal Auditorium if it can still even host hockey or Bridgestone. But I feel like Bridgestone wouldn't be the best for getting dates with the Preds, and all the events it hosts in a normal year.
No mention of a current ice plant on the Auditorium General Information page. Though their History ... Key Dates/Timeline does briefly celebrate the old Nashville South Stars.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
On your own terms, of course.
I'm not in control of anything so I don't get your point? I prefer other teams, is that too harsh for you to cope?

Has anyone seen any mention/speculation of where they would play? I haven't seen anything on that, although I could have just as easily missed myself.
If I were to guess I would probably say in the CCHA, but I am not sure how big of the school TSU is compared to the likes of Ferris State and others.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
I'm not in control of anything so I don't get your point? I prefer other teams, is that too harsh for you to cope?

I'll entertain any idea if it's good and well thought out and based in reality.

You have no understanding of landscape or community of NCAA hockey, no understanding of the NCAA and how it works, and, by your comments above, no inclination to learn.

You're not a WHL scout, either.

Why don't you fix all the problems hockey has in Poland before you come here with your nonsense?

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Time for a little reality-based comic relief.

The good news is that a little birdie has mentioned that University of Oregon hockey interests have apparently gained some informal agreement (not public) that the old basketball arena (McArthur Court) will eventually be renovated to host hockey.

The bad news is that the little birdie is drunk. Too many load-bearing beams have to be removed for a renovation to work. The main ones are set directly behind where the baskets were, and they cannot be more than 160 feet apart.

I post this partly because it’s a reminder to have healthy skepticism of little birdies. They don’t always grasp nuances.

However, I think the rumor of siting a place probably is news. They’re not going to build over old parking in the complex where Autzen Stadium and the soccer stadium and ballpark are located (which is the other side of the Willamette River from the campus). Moreover, when you look at the last three major sports projects on the Oregon campus (Matt Knight Arena for basketball, the softball stadium, and now Hayward Field), all three had the option to renovate. But, apart from Autzen Stadium expansion 20 years ago, Phil Knight does not renovate. Two of the above projects were complete tear-down and rebuild projects. This does mean it will take even longer for hockey to happen- if it happens- and I suspect this will probably include rebuilding the adjacent rec/wellness building next door... that was kind of old when I attended. McArthur dates back to 1926 anyway.

Last edited:

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Time for a little reality-based comic relief.

The good news is that a little birdie has mentioned that University of Oregon hockey interests have apparently gained some informal agreement (not public) that the old basketball arena (McArthur Court) will eventually be renovated to host hockey.

The bad news is that the little birdie is drunk. Too many load-bearing beams have to be removed for a renovation to work. The main ones are set directly behind where the baskets were, and they cannot be more than 160 feet apart.

I post this partly because it’s a reminder to have healthy skepticism of little birdies. They don’t always grasp nuances.

However, I think the rumor of siting a place probably is news. They’re not going to build over old parking in the complex where Autzen Stadium and the soccer stadium and ballpark are located (which is the other side of the Willamette River from the campus). Moreover, when you look at the last three major sports projects on the Oregon campus (Matt Knight Arena for basketball, the softball stadium, and now Hayward Field), all three had the option to renovate. But, apart from Autzen Stadium expansion 20 years ago, Phil Knight does not renovate. Two of the above projects were complete tear-down and rebuild projects. This does mean it will take even longer for hockey to happen- if it happens- and I suspect this will probably include rebuilding the adjacent rec/wellness building next door... that was kind of old when I attended. McArthur dates back to 1926 anyway.
I wouldn't be surprised to see some additional schools out west being in the conversation. I've seen some things before about Oregon's current club team, but so far it's mostly been on the same scale as the UNLVs of the ACHA. But I definitely think there will be some future growth out west for NCAA hockey, but as you suggest maybe not in the immediate future.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I'll entertain any idea if it's good and well thought out and based in reality.

You have no understanding of landscape or community of NCAA hockey, no understanding of the NCAA and how it works, and, by your comments above, no inclination to learn.

You're not a WHL scout, either.

Why don't you fix all the problems hockey has in Poland before you come here with your nonsense?
What nonsense is that? That I would prefer the Volts and you lot overreacting when I wrote that because you're an elitist and dislike when someone has a different opinion? Not in one thought did I ever write that I believe they were ever going to have a team so I honestly have no idea, like no idea whatsoever what you, Mr. Donaldson, and Mr. JMC are arguing against me this past weekend. Like all I legitimately said is that I prefer Big five teams joining instead of these minor ones (there's nothing wrong with that opinion whatsoever). I have no problem if you prefer Union College type of teams, all power to you there mate. You wrote a lot of good points to why you have that opinion, I never disagreed with it at all, but all the top recruitment players keep joining BC, BU, and Michigan so I am not sure what more bigger schools will do to that (ASU isn't getting a lot either). But it seems that you're obsessed with me for some reason.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
What nonsense is that? That I would prefer the Volts and you lot overreacting when I wrote that because you're an elitist and dislike when someone has a different opinion? .... You wrote a lot of good points to why you have that opinion, I never disagreed with it at all, but all the top recruitment players keep joining BC, BU, and Michigan so I am not sure what more bigger schools will do to that (ASU isn't getting a lot either).

1. Tennessee's athletic teams are known as the Volunteers, or Vols, for short. Get your facts straight before you post your idiotic drivel. If you can't be bothered to learn the facts, don't expect anyone to take you seriously.

2. Those schools don't get all the top recruits, but they do get most. If/When more Power 5 schools develop hockey programs, smaller/regional/unique schools that play Division I hockey will have difficulty getting mid-level recruits and being competitive at that level.

3. I am an elitist. I worked my ass off to play Division I hockey at a school with a great academic reputation, and I'd like to see the school keep playing Division I hockey and be competitive at that level.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barclay Donaldson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad