Speculation: NCAA Free Agent Defencemen

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
H

i remember watching him at the prospects camp, he looked solid.

Not complaining about free prospects but the Canucks need right d men.

Woo
Eliot
Chatfield

Need a difference maker there ASAP. Love Woo but the depth there is sad right now.

100% agree.

I guess this means the Pouliot experiment is nearly over but we still need to address our RHD depth.Hopefully we can sign one of the other NCAA free agents to address that.

Since Teves has signed an ELC with the Nucks,I’m guessing he’s not eligible to play for the Comets this season.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
100% agree.

I guess this means the Pouliot experiment is nearly over but we still need to address our RHD depth.Hopefully we can sign one of the other NCAA free agents to address that.

Since Teves has signed an ELC with the Nucks,I’m guessing he’s not eligible to play for the Comets this season.
Who’s locked in next year.?
Hughes-Tanev
Edler-stetcher
Hutton-Juolevi

Pouliot is gone for sure...my guess is maybe they deal his rfa rights for a 5th or 6th

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
100% agree.

No comets if he plays a game for the Canucks.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Who’s locked in next year.?
Hughes-Tanev
Edler-stetcher
Hutton-Juolevi

Pouliot is gone for sure...my guess is maybe they deal his rfa rights for a 5th or 6th

I doubt any team would trade anything for Pouliot’s RFA rights when he’ll likely be available for free July 1st.

No comets if he plays a game for the Canucks.

I’m thinking that he only would have been eligible to play for the Comets if
he signed an ATO with them before signing his NHL ELC.Since that didn’t happen,he can only play in the NHL this season.
Same situation as Quinn Hughes.

Reactions: tyhee

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
So, the fact that the team signed Teves leaving them 2 contracts spots left (maybe 1 for Lockwood, but ideally, you'd want him in Utica), does that bode well for them in negotiations for the other more higher rated RHD guys like Keeper or Hutton?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Can't the Canucks sign these players now, but their contracts don't kick in until after July 1st? Seems to me that Hutton joined Utica on an ATO after leaving the University of Maine.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Can't the Canucks sign these players now, but their contracts don't kick in until after July 1st? Seems to me that Hutton joined Utica on an ATO after leaving the University of Maine.
It is possible for them to do that. Easier to do that when they are your own draft picks like Lockwood. Unlikely for a free agent NCAA player. They want that year burned and will sign with a team that will do that.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Did Adam Fox ever sign with Carolina?....Rathbone's team-mate on Harvard.....does he become a UFA in August if he doesn't sign with anybody?

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Did Adam Fox ever sign with Carolina?....Rathbone's team-mate on Harvard.....does he become a UFA in August if he doesn't sign with anybody?

This story (from five days ago) says he's still unsigned:

Carolina Hurricanes: How to make room for Adam Fox

I think that Fox has one more year of NCAA eligibility, which would mean he does not become a UFA this summer (though fans and management are likely to become nervous if he does indeed stay for his senior year).

It's the same situation Dante Fabbro is in.

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
not a NCAA free agent but I really hope Canucks are pitching hard to Oliwer Kaski from Liiga.

100%

It’s bizarre how people get tunnel vision for these mediocre 24 y/o NCAA guys when there are guys like Kaski who are destroying men’s leagues at the same age.

Darren Dietz is only a bit older and is another name.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
100%

It’s bizarre how people get tunnel vision for these mediocre 24 y/o NCAA guys when there are guys like Kaski who are destroying men’s leagues at the same age.

Darren Dietz is only a bit older and is another name.
If we look back at the never drafted ncaa ufa classes from 2015-2017 who has done well since signing?

Well is relative as I’m generally expecting bottom 6 and 3rd pairing guys but they add depth st a low cost.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If we look back at the never drafted ncaa ufa classes from 2015-2017 who has done well since signing?

Well is relative as I’m generally expecting bottom 6 and 3rd pairing guys but they add depth st a low cost.

Biggest successes are :

Evan Rodrigues
Austin Czarnik
Tanner Kero

Troy Stecher
Drake Caggiula
Brandon Tanev

Zack Aston-Reese
Alex Iafallo
Neal Pionck
Sheldon Dries

Kiefer Sherwood
Dylan Sikura

... so a lot of mediocre depth guys. And there were a ton of bad signings who did nothing to distill down to those 12 guys.

Reactions: lindgren

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Jim Benning said last night that they are looking to sign one more NCAA Free Agent Defenceman that are still playin this weekend.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Biggest successes are :

Evan Rodrigues
Austin Czarnik
Tanner Kero

Troy Stecher
Drake Caggiula
Brandon Tanev

Zack Aston-Reese
Alex Iafallo
Neal Pionck
Sheldon Dries

Kiefer Sherwood
Dylan Sikura

... so a lot of mediocre depth guys. And there were a ton of bad signings who did nothing to distill down to those 12 guys.

Sikura was a Hawks draft pick. There was speculation he'd sign elsewhere, which might be why you remember him as a free agent.

Reactions: MS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad