Speculation: NCAA Free Agent Defencemen

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Would have rather signed Keeper over Josh Teves (ranked 31 on college UFAs)
Think we all would but in the end it’s Keepers decision where he goes. Money is the same regardless of where he signs. He’s burning an elc year this year I would expect. So see if he makes their roster next season.

Reactions: sting101

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Isles signed Grant Hutton...so the best RD targets are gone. That leaves Connor Mackey and Jimmy Schuldt. The latter likely to sign in Montreal. The former unlikely to sign here. Both LDs.

Swing and a miss.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Last edited:

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
My guess is he will get resigned for sure... they’ve invested in him now.... he should get a full year in the ahl...

Based on stat-scouting--and *only* on that, so huge grains of salt here admittedly--Rathbone is better than Teves already.
But we shall see. I hope Teves blows us away. It's happened before, with an unknown beanpole kid from a minor college program
who sounded Russian because his name was Tanev.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Based on stat-scouting--and *only* on that, so huge grains of salt here admittedly--Rathbone is better than Teves already.
But we shall see. I hope Teves blows us away. It's happened before, with an unknown beanpole kid from a minor college program
who sounded Russian because his name was Tanev.
Well I think Rathbone has surprised a lot of people as has Madden...

Wonder what kind of step those two take next year...

Teves is still low risk... give him a full year in the ahl next year and we will know then if he has a chance.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
If Chase Priskie makes it to UFA in August, I'd hope the Canucks pull out all the stops to bring him in.
I heard them talking about him on 650... lots to like... BC connection, unlikely to sign in Wash.... leads d in goals in ncaa... RIGHTY...

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Ben Kuzma, who I think can be relied on to some degree to give us management's perspective, had this to report on the Canucks and NCAA possibilities:

Benning is chasing college free agents, but isn’t in the mix to land highly-coveted St. Cloud State defenceman Jimmy Schuldt, who had 35 points (10-25) in 39 games, or centre Nico Sturm, who had 45 points (14-31) in 39 games with Clarkson University.​

Ben Kuzma: Canucks will explore contract extension for ‘pleasant surprise’ Luke Schenn

So, not Schuldt, not Sturm. Who then, might be targets in the next week or two?

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Ben Kuzma, who I think can be relied on to some degree to give us management's perspective, had this to report on the Canucks and NCAA possibilities:

Benning is chasing college free agents, but isn’t in the mix to land highly-coveted St. Cloud State defenceman Jimmy Schuldt, who had 35 points (10-25) in 39 games, or centre Nico Sturm, who had 45 points (14-31) in 39 games with Clarkson University.​

Ben Kuzma: Canucks will explore contract extension for ‘pleasant surprise’ Luke Schenn

It's a shame because a team in the position that the Canucks are in right now should be in the mix for most college UFA's, at centre and on D.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore

I have watched Schuldt some and he is very good. Good in his own end and physical too; an excellent pro prospect.

Can't see him signing here.

Reactions: lindgren

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Chase Priskie makes it to UFA in August, I'd hope the Canucks pull out all the stops to bring him in.
Yes. Teammate of Brogan Rafferty, and definitely not signing in D.C.....so open market starts Aug.15th....a righty d-man and the right side of the Canucks d-corps is basically wide open.

Maybe Jimbo jumps the gun and acquires his rights before the middle of August from the Caps, along with Burkovsky whom they're trying to unload. What might go back the other way? Sutter or Hutton?

Reactions: VanillaCoke

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Apparently Jonathan Bates is responsible for all of the college signings going back to Tanev. I did not know this...

Patrick Johnston: Canucks believe in ‘hire’ education with college hockey players

“The guy who keeps tabs is (Canucks collegiate scout) Jonathan Bates,” he said.

Chris Tanev is the longest-standing player with NCAA experience on the Canucks’ roster, and while the likes of Ben Hutton, Quinn Hughes, Thatcher Demko and Boeser were drafted by Vancouver. Tanev was a college free agent, the first of Bates’ finds. (On the current roster, the other NCAA free agent signing is Troy Stecher.)

“It all started with Tanev,” Smyl said.

Reactions: F A N

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Apparently Jonathan Bates is responsible for all of the college signings going back to Tanev. I did not know this...

Patrick Johnston: Canucks believe in ‘hire’ education with college hockey players

“The guy who keeps tabs is (Canucks collegiate scout) Jonathan Bates,” he said.

Chris Tanev is the longest-standing player with NCAA experience on the Canucks’ roster, and while the likes of Ben Hutton, Quinn Hughes, Thatcher Demko and Boeser were drafted by Vancouver. Tanev was a college free agent, the first of Bates’ finds. (On the current roster, the other NCAA free agent signing is Troy Stecher.)

“It all started with Tanev,” Smyl said.
I thought it was Gagner who first alerted the Canucks about Tanev?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yes. Teammate of Brogan Rafferty, and definitely not signing in D.C.....so open market starts Aug.15th....a righty d-man and the right side of the Canucks d-corps is basically wide open.

Maybe Jimbo jumps the gun and acquires his rights before the middle of August from the Caps, along with Burkovsky whom they're trying to unload. What might go back the other way? Sutter or Hutton?
They should be tight against the cap. They likely won’t qualify Burkovsky at $3 million.

Hasn’t taken that step to justify the price. They can work out a longer term deal at lower rate for him.

Unless the Canucks are super confident that they can sign him I’d rather not pull a buffalo and send a pick and not sign the guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->