Speculation: NCAA Free Agent Defencemen

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
In his comments today Jim Benning said the team was investigating signing an NCAA free agent defenceman, adding that they'd had some interviews already. Any thoughts on the possibilities? Speculation about who the 'Nucks might be interested in?

Here are a few that are mentioned on lastwordonhockey.com (I make no claim about their reliability):

Joe Duszak Right Defence, Mercyhurst U. 5'10"185 lbs, Junior

"He is strong on the puck, and his stickhandling allows him to transition and lead the rush. Duszak is also a very good passer who can start the breakout or can quarterback the power play. "
Mattias Goransson, Left Defence, UMass-Lowell, 6’3″ 205 lbs, Junior

"The 23-year-old defenceman has four goals and 18 points in 32 games this season. The Swedish defender is known for his work in his own end. He has very good size and pairs it with strong skating ability."
Grant Hutton (no relation, I think), Right Defence, Miami of Ohio, 6’3″ 204 lbs, Senior

"Hutton has put up six goals and 17 points in 32 games this season while playing in all situations and taking on the toughest matchups for Miami of Ohio. Hutton is a mobile defender with good speed in both directions. "
Brady Keeper, Right Defence, University of Maine, 6’2″ 194 lbs, Sophomore
"Keeper has put up five goals and 18 points in 33 games this season. Just a sophomore, he could stay in school if the offers are not good enough to knock his socks off. He has really improved his discipline this year, taking half as many penalty minutes as he did as a freshman. However, Keeper is still very physical in the defensive end of the ice and can still be even more disciplined as he does have 40 penalty minutes."
Cam Lee, Left Defence, Western Michigan, 6’0” 190 lbs, Junior
"Lee has scored seven goals and 23 points in 32 games this season. He has always been strong offensively, with a strong shot from the point. Lee understands how to keep his shot low and get it on the net, allowing teammates to get tips and rebounds. He also uses good lateral agility to walk the line and create shooting and passing lanes. "
Alec McCrea, Right Defence, Cornell, 6’3″ 212 lbs, Senior
"McCrea has three goals and seven points in 29 games this season. However, he is best known for his work in the defensive zone. A big defenceman with a long stick, he positions himself well and cuts down passing and shooting lanes. He is a very good skater, and his excellent agility and quick feet help him to keep attackers in front of him, and force them to the outside. "

Top 2019 College Hockey Free Agents - Last Word on Hockey

Last edited:

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I like this guy . Late bloomer. Former Ushl Dman of the year.

Connor Mackey, Minnesota State - Mankato

Mackey has six goals and 22 points in 36 games with the Mavericks this season. The 22-year-old sophomore has a plus-11 rating on the year while leading the team's defencemen in points. The 6-foot-2, 183-pound blueliner scored four goals and posted 12 points in 40 games last season while being named to the WCHA All-Rookie Team. Mackey attended Buffalo Sabres development camp last summer, and worked with the Calgary Flames in 2017 after being named the USHL defenceman of the year. “I’m a late bloomer for sure,” Mackey told the Mankato Free Press last summer. “I was never projected to be drafted.”

Reactions: lindgren

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Then there's Europe. A poster on the Free Agents and Trade Rumours board quotes someone including the Canucks in on this guy:

Mikko Lehtonen på väg till NHL

According to this Swedish article, defenseman Mikko Lehtonen is being scouted. Here's the rough Google translation of the article:

HV71 wants to extend with its 25-year-old defenseman, but it will be difficult.

On Friday's match, representatives from New Jersey, Vancouver, Boston and Edmonton and Chicago were on site to analyze the Lehtonian caliber and the ability to do well in the world's top league.

- Clearly we want to extend, but it will be difficult. We count him as lost, says Johan Hult, GM.

Reactions: Szechwan

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Poolman should be on the list as well. Maybe Pasichnuk as well. Corey Pronman just came out with a write up in the athletic. Other names....Rauhauser, Rafferty, and Scheuneman.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Poolman should be on the list as well. Maybe Pasichnuk as well. Corey Pronman just came out with a write up in the athletic. Other names....Rauhauser, Rafferty, and Scheuneman.

Is Joseph Decconi, D, Univ. of Michigan-Big 10 (Dallas draft pick), the most interesting guy on Pronman's list, despite being his 23'd ranked prospect?

"May 23, 1997 | 6-foot-2 | 209 pounds
Cecconi shouldered the load for Michigan the past two seasons alongside top prospect Quinn Hughes. He moves well for a 6-foot-2 defenseman and has good vision with the puck."
I'm sure the Canucks would enjoy signing a Dallas pick.

drivier

Apr 30, 2009
Vancouver

I've heard the names Poolman and Teves.

Seems to be a much quieter year this year though. When Stecher was considering what he'd do, I recall a lot more noise.

Anyway, adding prospects and lottery tickets never hurt.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005

I've heard the names Poolman and Teves.

Seems to be a much quieter year this year though. When Stecher was considering what he'd do, I recall a lot more noise.

Anyway, adding prospects and lottery tickets never hurt.

Pronman on Teves:

"Teves is a mobile defenseman with good hockey sense and vision, but for an average sized defender, nothing about his skill set really stands out and I have questions about how much offense he’ll produce as a pro."
on Poolman:

"Poolman, the younger brother of Jets defenseman Tucker Poolman, has good hockey sense and moves rather well, but I don’t see him making many plays with the puck at the pro level."
Pronman is rather cautious about all of the free agent possibilities he lists.

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
Pronman on Teves:

"Teves is a mobile defenseman with good hockey sense and vision, but for an average sized defender, nothing about his skill set really stands out and I have questions about how much offense he’ll produce as a pro."
on Poolman:

"Poolman, the younger brother of Jets defenseman Tucker Poolman, has good hockey sense and moves rather well, but I don’t see him making many plays with the puck at the pro level."
Pronman is rather cautious about all of the free agent possibilities he lists.

Doesn’t sound any worse than most of the players that Canucks have tried on the back-end this year. Signing either is low risk. And if I’m correct, Teves would only be a 1-yr contract and Poolman 2-yrs, so if either is a dud, Canucks easily walk away from them.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
H
no - have you
i remember watching him at the prospects camp, he looked solid.

Not complaining about free prospects but the Canucks need right d men.

Woo
Eliot
Chatfield

Need a difference maker there ASAP. Love Woo but the depth there is sad right now.

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
I think I remember Teves looking good in prospect camp, seemed smart and made solid plays

Haven't watched him in Princeton but had an unfortunate drop in production this year, but looks like the team as a whole scored way less this season

According to Freedman we signed him. He goes straight to Utica I assume? I can't imagine him getting NHL games in

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad