Confirmed with Link: NCAA FA Lucas Condotta signed to ELC (2022-2023)

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Question to the people that are saying Condotta wasn't on any other team's radar, how would you know this? Are you a gm? an agent?
A one year contract isn't a bad thing if he pan's out

And another brillant post....nope, not an agent, not a GM, nothing like that. Do you actually come in here thinking there would be those people? Hey, maybe there are but they won't put their name out there. No, when I say this, it's because there are quite a few experts out there, that watches even more NCAA hockey that do it that gets out their names of guys that are interesting this time of the year. And I've never saw his name out there. Maybe he is somewhere. But didn't see it.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Okay. Let's give this guy a chance but the stats aren't great.

Yeah, I will give him a chance. It's not like my posts will make him choose another career. Nor will it stop Jean-François Houle to use him.

• Haha
Reactions: FloJack

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

At quick glance, he seems like a pretty good skater, strong on his skates and good hockey sense / work ethic.

Might pan out as a bottom 6 guy with good leadership? Low risk signing with the contract being only 1 year.

Celebration is definitely NHL ready!

Last edited:
Reactions: JuicyJofa

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Knowing that right now we are at 47 and that's pretty much what you should have to fill a NHL and a AHL team.....people that think he's just going to fill a space....isn't what Guhle, Mysak, Xhejaj, Stapley, Norlinder and Simoneau were going to do?

And it's fun to crap on Paquette...but if the guy is fine with going back to Laval....you don't want him there?

Out of those 47, clearly Perreault, Clague, Lagesson, Schnarr, Teasdale, Belzile, Dea, and Niku are on the bubble. But are you giving up on Brook? I don't. The Vejdemo experiment is done? Ouellet if he wants to stick around, why wouldn't we?

So yeah, in this league, every contract counts. Even if it's for 1 year. And if you give them, I would have thought it would have been to a top UFA one. That's all.
So. Let this guy compete for a job with the guys you mentioned. You have to keep I mind that there's a good chance they'll be moving out contracts in the summer (if they can). Petry, Wideman ufa, maybe Price, Gallagher , etc.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Will never undestand those posts. Yes, he did. Just like every GM takes EVERYTHING into consideration when they do ANY moves whatsoever. It doesn't mean that as a fan, we have to agree with everything. And he probably have a different view, maybe better than me. Maybe Stapley and Simoneau will not get a contract. Maybe Teasdale and Belzile are out 'cause they are always injured. Maybe, maybe. Yet, all that considered, I have no idea why this 24-year old. That was on nobody's radar throughout the league. That had worst stats than tons of guys who are career ECHL'er.

But we will see what they saw that we don't.

You're criticizing the management for signing a player you knew nothing about to a 1-year contract because you are scared it results in another prospect not being signed.

This reminds me of people who criticized Hughes for not trading Chiarot 2 months before the trade deadline because they were scared that Chiarot would get injured...

If a prospect does not get signed, then he likely wouldn't have been signed regardless of the Condotta contract. They are obviously not going to let go of a prospect if they think he's good.

Guys like Stapley and Simoneau could be signed to a 1-year ahl contract, and then to an ELC. This is what they did with Harvey-Pinard.

You might ask why they didn't do that with Condotta? Likely because giving him an nhl contract was their way to entice Condotta to choose the habs over the other teams interested.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
We don't have the same pipeline. Blame Bergevin for everything, excuse the new duo for all they do, at least for now. The joy of being new on the job. Reminds me of Saint-Louis and his players, all is great until the day he will have to take hard decisions with some players next season. The day a player like Gallagher will end up on the fourth line things will change.

It's not like Waked and his 3-year ELC at least.

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
You're criticizing the management for signing a player you knew nothing about to a 1-year contract because you are scared it results in another prospect not being signed.

This reminds me of people who criticized Hughes for not trading Chiarot 2 months before the trade deadline because they were scared that Chiarot would get injured...

If a prospect does not get signed, then he likely wouldn't have been signed regardless of the Condotta contract. They are obviously not going to let go of a prospect if they think he's good.

Guys like Stapley and Simoneau could be signed to a 1-year ahl contract, and then to an ELC. This is what they did with Harvey-Pinard.

You might ask why they didn't do that with Condotta? Likely because giving him an nhl contract was their way to entice Condotta to choose the habs over the other teams interested.

Well technically, he is getting an AHL (PTO) contract this year.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
We don't have the same pipeline. Blame Bergevin for everything, excuse the new duo for all they do, at least for now. The joy of being new on the job. Reminds me of Saint-Louis and his players, all is great until the day he will have to take hard decisions with some players next season. The day a player like Gallagher will end up on the fourth line things will change.
1 year ELC vs 3 year ELC. It's not supposed to be hard to see the difference in the impact of both signing.

If Condotta sucks, you have a contract anchor for one year. You can probably also easily ship him for future considerations to a team hit hard with injuries (or mutually terminate his contract if he wants to quit)
If Waked sucks (which he did), you have a contract anchor for three years.

The NCAA reporter I posted earlier seems pretty optimistic he can be a decent AHLer, which is something Waked was not. Waked is a good LNAHer.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
1 year ELC vs 3 year ELC. It's not supposed to be hard to see the difference in the impact of both signing.

If Condotta sucks, you have a contract anchor for one year. You can probably also easily ship him for future considerations to a team hit hard with injuries (or mutually terminate his contract if he wants to quit)
If Waked sucks (which he did), you have a contract anchor for three years.

The NCAA reporter I posted earlier seems pretty optimistic he can be a decent AHLer, which is something Waked was not. Waked is a good LNAHer.
Waked is not even a good LNAHer...can't even get a point per game.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Waked is not even a good LNAHer...can't even get a point per game.

That's good for 20th in the league for forwards so it's top tier 2nd line production (league has 6 teams so 18 forwards are 1st line). But yeah, for a guy that got an NHL contract, he should be better than that.

Reactions: Sagikev

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Nah.... far more likely that Hughes & Gorton are just idiots & don't understand the importance of managing contracts :sarcasm:

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I don't know the player, but I like that he is a big defensive center that hits hard. I like that he was a team captain, he sounds very coachable. If his skating is strong then that would already be a lot to work with. I also like that while his scoring stats in general weren't impressive, they were more impressive this past season so he definitely seemed to improve. Hopefully he works out - I like the signing, I don't think the contract spot will matter because the Habs should have lots of flexibility in the off-season with lots of contracts coming off the books.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad