Post-Game Talk: NBA ECF GAME 6 - Celtics collapse in 4th Q and are done

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
The NBA is a league that changes quickly, just because Tatum and Brown are young means nothing, this is another wasted opportunity and they might not have a better chance to win the championship than this year

If this was their best chance, I don't know what that says because they would have taken a beating from the Lakers. There is still hope for Tatum being the guy to lead them. He's doing a lot of things at an age that has him in elite company historically. Up to Danny or someone else to put the right group around him and Jaylen.

Jimmy Butler is 31 and LeBron is 35. Tatum is 22 and Brown is about to be 24. The Celtics should always be able to field a contender with those two.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
You only have so much money....

Also I don’t stand for Javonte Green slander

He's just the guy to represent the big problem of Danny overvaluing the f*** out of his draft picks when he's starting get more misses than hits. I think he truly believes he will be able to get lightning to strike twice and build an eastern conference clone of the Golden State Warriors dynasty that built almost exclusively through the draft (until they stopped doing that). He thinks a guy like Romeo Langford is somehow magically going to be something when he barely gets minutes and the Celtics need to put real pieces instead of playing with these scratch ticket mid round picks. The past 20 years of Celtics drafting history shows we almost never get a Nikola Jokic or Draymond Green late in the draft. We have only been lucky with two late draft picks. Those guys were Rajon Rondo and Glen Davis. That's it. If Ainge wants to win with this core of Tatum, Brown and Walker he needs to start flipping these picks for tangible pieces that can help them win in the near future and stop being foolish. He needs to cash in these assets and give them to someone else who wants to start rebuilding.

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
If this was their best chance, I don't know what that says because they would have taken a beating from the Lakers. There is still hope for Tatum being the guy to lead them. He's doing a lot of things at an age that has him in elite company historically. Up to Danny or someone else to put the right group around him and Jaylen.

Jimmy Butler is 31 and LeBron is 35. Tatum is 22 and Brown is about to be 24. The Celtics should always be able to field a contender with those two.
Best chance was more related to it being the bubble. I don't think Denver or Miami get past their 2nd round matchups if everything was normal but the bubble evens everything up and the celtics benefited from it as well. The league changes quickly and players have so much power. All it takes is another Durant to the Warriors and any contending team has their window slammed shut as long as that team stays together and healthy so you never know, a lot of people including myself thought last seasons Celtics team could only get better, after all you add Kyrie and Hayward back to a team that just missed the finals with a bunch of young guys and Horford and you could only think it would get better. It was a mess as we all know now so just because Tatum and Brown are young doesn't mean anything other than you should have more chances, no guarantee though

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Waiting on Edwards, R Williams, G Williams and Langford to all somehow pan out.............

Still think this team should package a bunch of their picks for some sort of help. I dont much about NCAA basketball but this draft seems meh to me

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
This was a good chance for the Celtics. Next year Brooklyn has Durant and Irving, Toronto will still be Toronto, Bucks may actually get Giannis some help..........

We don't know if Durant and Kyrie can coexist never mind be the same players that they were with their injuries, Toronto has no real superstar since Kawhi left, and with the way Giannis is giving the Bucks the cold shoulder I think he's good as gone.

Edit: Also, small thing of note, Kyrie Irving hates Steve Nash like poison and Nash is now his head coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mione134 and Alicat

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I think my point here would be they would have got trucked by the Lakers. It wasn't a true blown opportunity. Now, getting to the finals would have been good for Tatum and Brown. But Ainge has work to do in order for this team to take the next step. Now, could that actually involve shopping Brown? Not sure if trading him and picks could get you a better player to pair with Tatum. I don't follow the NBA close enough to know who is available.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
He's just the guy to represent the big problem of Danny overvaluing the f*** out of his draft picks when he's starting get more misses than hits. I think he truly believes he will be able to get lightning to strike twice and build an eastern conference clone of the Golden State Warriors dynasty that built almost exclusively through the draft (until they stopped doing that). He thinks a guy like Romeo Langford is somehow magically going to be something when he barely gets minutes and the Celtics need to put real pieces instead of playing with these scratch ticket mid round picks. The past 20 years of Celtics drafting history shows we almost never get a Nikola Jokic or Draymond Green late in the draft. We have only been lucky with two late draft picks. Those guys were Rajon Rondo and Glen Davis. That's it. If Ainge wants to win with this core of Tatum, Brown and Walker he needs to start flipping these picks for tangible pieces that can help them win in the near future and stop being foolish. He needs to cash in these assets and give them to someone else who wants to start rebuilding.

Javonte wasn’t even a draft pick- he came from Europe like Wanamaker, after succeeding against men.

Like I said, you only have so much money to spend in the NBA. They have two max guys, a near max guy, and a future super max guy. It’s a hard cap where you pretty much have to match dollar for dollar on any trade. That’s why you see them try creative solutions from Europe to fill out the back end of the bench for cheap

Honestly the bench wasn’t why they lost this series. Hell most of them had big moments these playoffs. They lost because they would go stagnant on offense for long stretches. Chucking without a plan. Tonight they lost because they couldn’t guard Bam.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Someone needs to get through to these players and remind them that they aren't Steph Curry or Klay.

That is just absolutely horrific decision making. Pretty sure Miami was one foul away from putting Boston to the line. Drive to the basket.

Reactions: EvilDead and CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think people need to remember what the expectations for this team were at the start of the season. They made it further than expected, Jaylen and Jayson took the next step-just enjoy the next handful of years as those guys start entering the beginning of their primes. They’re getting there.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Let’s face it, the Celtics are not as good as they think they are - The Boston Globe

If you like basketball you know the right team won.

The Miami Heat, worthy in every way, beat the Celtics, 125-113, in Game 6 of the Eastern Conference finals Sunday night and will advance to the NBA Finals, where they’ll play LeBron James and the Los Angeles Lakers starting Wednesday night. LeBron vs. Pat Riley. Pretty sweet.

Let the record show that the 2019-20 Celtics in no way deserved to win this series. They gave it a pretty good run, but in the end they presented as front-running posers who folded whenever a game went into crunch time. Green Teamers should face the fact that these Celtics — who are fawned over and comport themselves as if they’ve already put some banners in the Garden rafters — have won nothing yet.

The 2020 playoffs go down as a wasted opportunity. The 2020 Celtics had more talent than the Heat, but the Heat worked harder and won every contested game. The Celtics had leads of 14 and 17 points in Games 1 and 2 and lost ‘em both. Boston led Game 6 by 6 points in the fourth quarter, then folded like a cardbox box in a hurricane. The Heat became the first No. 5 seed to advance to the Finals in this century.

Please let’s not frame this as a learning experience for a young team.

No. This was a wasted opportunity. The Celtics had the talent to win this series. They underachieved. Wildly.

"Obviously we feel like we underachieved,'’ acknowledged Jaylen Brown.

Good start there.

Admittedly, we are spoiled here in Boston. No local team has won a championship since the Patriots won Super Bowl 53 some 17 months ago. The local sports high renaissance is stalled. Things haven’t been quite right since Brad Marchand skated off the ice early at the end of the first period of the seventh game of the 2019 Stanley Cup Final.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Let’s face it, the Celtics are not as good as they think they are - The Boston Globe

If you like basketball you know the right team won.

The Miami Heat, worthy in every way, beat the Celtics, 125-113, in Game 6 of the Eastern Conference finals Sunday night and will advance to the NBA Finals, where they’ll play LeBron James and the Los Angeles Lakers starting Wednesday night. LeBron vs. Pat Riley. Pretty sweet.

Let the record show that the 2019-20 Celtics in no way deserved to win this series. They gave it a pretty good run, but in the end they presented as front-running posers who folded whenever a game went into crunch time. Green Teamers should face the fact that these Celtics — who are fawned over and comport themselves as if they’ve already put some banners in the Garden rafters — have won nothing yet.

The 2020 playoffs go down as a wasted opportunity. The 2020 Celtics had more talent than the Heat, but the Heat worked harder and won every contested game. The Celtics had leads of 14 and 17 points in Games 1 and 2 and lost ‘em both. Boston led Game 6 by 6 points in the fourth quarter, then folded like a cardbox box in a hurricane. The Heat became the first No. 5 seed to advance to the Finals in this century.

Please let’s not frame this as a learning experience for a young team.

No. This was a wasted opportunity. The Celtics had the talent to win this series. They underachieved. Wildly.

"Obviously we feel like we underachieved,'’ acknowledged Jaylen Brown.

Good start there.

Admittedly, we are spoiled here in Boston. No local team has won a championship since the Patriots won Super Bowl 53 some 17 months ago. The local sports high renaissance is stalled. Things haven’t been quite right since Brad Marchand skated off the ice early at the end of the first period of the seventh game of the 2019 Stanley Cup Final.

The spin is real I suppose.

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
I thought they were pulling it off against the Heat until the end, but the series against the Raptors should have been a red flag. No way should that series have lasted longer than 5 games. It's 3-0 and then you win game 5, that's it.
They have allowed way too many late game heroics by the opposing team.

This series against Miami was a wrap as soon as it went 0-2. Because quite frankly, the Heat haven't been all that great over the first 2 games. They blew 14 and 17 point leads. You are supposed to win these games or at least get a split. If that were the case, they would now be tied going into game 7.

But in the end, it doesn't matter. Lakers are gonna crush the Heat and would have done the same to us. I like this Miami-team (it's rather unusual that an NBA team doesn't have any real knucklehead on it nowadays), but I can't Lakers allowing themselves to choke away big time leads like the Celtics did. Plus you have LeBron and Davis, 2 of the best in the game.

Scruffy

Jun 18, 2009
Bawstin
Someone needs to get through to these players and remind them that they aren't Steph Curry or Klay.

That is just absolutely horrific decision making. Pretty sure Miami was one foul away from putting Boston to the line. Drive to the basket.

I had been yelling this since game 1. There have been open lanes to the hoop, but they keep chucking up deep contested 3s. They were lazy and it cost them a shot at the finals. That's on both the players and the coach for not making them work harder. Talent is great, but often loses to those who are willing to outwork you.

Reactions: Merrrlin

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
With Kemba's money on the books beyond Tatum's re-up, you gotta be careful what pieces you bring in even after Hayward leaves. Tatum must be maxxed.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
underwhelming exit but you could see this coming, I don't feel as bad about this missed opportunity than when they lost to Cleveland in game 7 where they played some very inspiring basketball in those playoffs. This current group was consistently a trainwreck at the end of games. I'd keep Tatum and Brown but would be open to trades all offseason for everyone else.

Reactions: EvilDead

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Hell of a year for the team. Proud of them and this only makes them stronger and more hungry.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
The wasted opportunity narrative is going to bother me. There's a reason the Heat dismantled the Bucks. Give the other team credit. Celtics simply need to get better. And what did they waste? A chance to get embarrassed by the Lakers? Celtics have a good thing going but they aren't there yet.

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020

That's a coaching problem. Brad rarely runs plays, it's just bring the big up to set a pick for the ball handler then shoot, drive to the rim or kick it out. One of the reasons the celtics had such a great 3rd quarter in game 5 besides their defense was that they were actually doing something different on offense, Theis was setting screens away from the ball to get someone open for a shot but you hardly saw that last night.

The longer time passes after the game i'm more convinced Stevens isn't the right guy for this team anymore. Smart shooting the ball 22 times makes it look like he has zero control over the team, he doesn't pull players when they're taking bad shots and it turns into your 5th best player killing your offense for a few minutes in a close game

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
With Kemba's money on the books beyond Tatum's re-up, you gotta be careful what pieces you bring in even after Hayward leaves. Tatum must be maxxed.

Yeah.

Exact team comes back no need to nake changes.

See if you can get lucky with a big in the draft and draft someone better than Semi for that role.

We want another year of Kemba but after next postseason if we don't go further and he looks to be slipping you might want to move him and make Smart the full time PG and add another high end athlete/defender to the first unit.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Yeah.

Exact team comes back no need to nake changes.

See if you can get lucky with a big in the draft and draft someone better than Semi for that role.

We want another year of Kemba but after next postseason if we don't go further and he looks to be slipping you might want to move him and make Smart the full time PG and add another high end athlete/defender to the first unit.

I'm not sure I would trust Smart as your full time PG, I don't love his decision making offensively and I'd actually take the ball out of his hands more often.

If someone made a decent offer, I'd consider moving Kemba this offseason and look to gobble up some of the talent expected to be on the market. I don't think he will be as easy to move next year. Going to be a strange offseason, especially with the stacked 2021 UFA class.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad