Post-Game Talk: NBA ECF GAME 6 - Celtics collapse in 4th Q and are done

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
I dont see Danny doing that. Those three are his binkies. He would be a good addition though

I think Oladipo has things the Celtics need which is tenacity, determination and leadership all in one package. Smart, Tatum, and Brown have one of those things individually but not all of them as a complete package, if that makes sense.

Reactions: Mione134

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I think Oladipo has things the Celtics need which is tenacity, determination and leadership all in one package. Smart, Tatum, and Brown have one of those things individually but not all of them as a complete package, if that makes sense.

I would say you're right in that aspect. I just hope all three of them can make that jump next year. I worry the most about Kemba's knee. He was NOT himself. I worry there is more damage there than people initially thought.

Reactions: EvilDead

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

Now there's someone the Celtics could try and bundle up some assets for.

Hayward goes home. And they get a ton of picks. Would probably take Langford being from there.

Kemba deserves another year but Smart at the 1 and Oladipo at the 2 is one hell of a back court with Brown and Tatum at 3/4.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
So apparently Hayward had nerve damage in his foot and was playing on one leg. And keep in mind he will probably use his player option to be here for one more year.

2eol.gif

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
So apparently Hayward had nerve damage in his foot and was playing on one leg. And keep in mind he will probably use his player option to be here for one more year.

2eol.gif

The injury probably keeps him from opting out.

Is there a max deal for him somewhere he'd want to play? Could have been given his regular season. But too much unfinished business IMO to leave.

The same exact team brought back works with me. I guess I upgrade Semi (not hard.)

Kanter isn't opting out and I want him since he does the things Theis and Williams don't.

That said I think we could pick up an entire brand new front court in this years draft and feel like that is what we should do with the 3 picks even if there are no minutes for them. Miami got Bam around where we are picking. I want Isaiah Stewart with one of them.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
So one more year of Hayward. When that contract is up, do they have an open max spot or will that money be taken up by other guys? The NBA cap is so absurd.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
So one more year of Hayward. When that contract is up, do they have an open max spot or will that money be taken up by other guys? The NBA cap is so absurd.

They would have another max slot open yes. But keep in mind the Celtics need to pay Tatum soon so that eats up that slot.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

They would have another max slot open yes. But keep in mind the Celtics need to pay Tatum soon so that eats up that slot.

No, they wouldn't. They're already over the cap, so they can't sign anyone else into their cap space, other then using the exceptions (mid-level or bi-annual) or minimum. That's why it's imperative that they not lose Hayward for nothing this year. The same thing was going to happen when they lost Kyrie last year until Horford decided to go to Philly.

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
Doc isn't perfect as a coach but i would have more confidence in him being able to lead this core to a championship than i am Brad

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Doc Rivers isn't a good coach though. He's a good manager of talent. Maybe you can say that's what this team needs right now, but I'd take Stevens over him 10 times out of 10.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
They would have another max slot open yes.
Meh... not really.

As it stands, the estimated 2021-22 salary cap was supposed to be around $125 million. Of course, that number was pre-Covid, meaning it likely won't be that high. In order to sign a max contract player, they'd have to be around $40 million under the cap. Let's assume they want to retain Tatum, Langford, Robert Williams, and Daniel Theis. That would put the Celtics at around $110 million in salary, assuming they don't draft anyone or sign any multi-year deals between now and the summer of 2021.

So, yeah... once Hayward's contract expires, they probably won't be able to spend big bucks to replace him.

Also, Tatum would only be a restricted free agent once his contract expires.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Hayward was awesome this year, fact not opinion too

18-7-4 on 50% from the field, 38% from deep. He was a big playmaker for them

him coming back not at 100% to try and spark the team doesn’t take that away from him. If anything I give him credit

Imo this offseason they need to move Kanter and pick up another bench piece or two. I’d run it back with this group. They’re right there if they can get healthy and Tatum/Brown take another step (along with guys like Grant and Bob and Romeo). I was very encouraged by what I saw from Grant and Timelord these playoffs.

Reactions: Mione134

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Hayward was awesome this year, fact not opinion too

18-7-4 on 50% from the field, 38% from deep. He was a big playmaker for them

him coming back not at 100% to try and spark the team doesn’t take that away from him. If anything I give him credit

Imo this offseason they need to move Kanter and pick up another bench piece or two. I’d run it back with this group. They’re right there if they can get healthy and Tatum/Brown take another step (along with guys like Grant and Bob and Romeo). I was very encouraged by what I saw from Grant and Timelord these playoffs.

I saw something earlier this year that said the only other Celtics player to put up his numbers (17.5 points, 6.7 rebounds, 4.1 assists on 50% shooting) was Larry Bird. People talk like he's injury prone, but here are his injuries: One of the most unlucky broken legs you'll ever see due to a mid-air collision , getting his finger caught in LaMarcus Aldridge's jersey, and landing on Theis's foot causing a high ankle sprain.

Reactions: Mione134 and CDJ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->