OT: NBA Discussion Thread: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
We needed a difference maker where he was picked,not a 3 and D complimentary piece.This team is nowhere closer to winning games with him on the court.

I'm not arguing about whether it was the right pick or not, because I don't really care if it was. I'm just saying that he's already a defensive difference maker, and the offense works better with him at the rudder. Which is a very nifty part for a young core, that we're going to be adding another high lotto talent to in the spring.

Edit for All Mighty: the kid has some young-Lahm to him

Last edited:
Reactions: All Might

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I'm not arguing about whether it was the right pick or not, because I don't really care if it was. I'm just saying that he's already a defensive difference maker, and the offense works better with him at the rudder. Which is a very nifty part for a young core, that we're going to be adding another high lotto talent to in the spring.

Edit for All Mighty: the kid has some young-Lahm to him
It is a great pick if he develops into a guy like Dejounte with all world-defense. I just question if he has the ability to ever reach that level.

I think he'll be closer to Shumpert, who was also hyped up for his defense first ability when he first started off here. I don't think he's a viable piece for a contending team in the future, hence my disappointment.

As the others have said, I wish we went with a higher upside pick rather than basically choose the NBA's version of Lawson Crouse with a high draft pick.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
It is a great pick if he develops into a guy like Dejounte with all world-defense. I just question if he has the ability to ever reach that level.

I think he'll be closer to Shumpert, who was also hyped up for his defense first ability when he first started off here. I don't think he's a viable piece for a contending team in the future, hence my disappointment.

As the others have said, I wish we went with a higher upside pick rather than basically choose the NBA's version of Lawson Crouse with a high draft pick.
Doesn't Frank already have some of the strongest defensive metrics in the NBA? He's still one of the youngest players in the entire league.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Doesn't Frank already have some of the strongest defensive metrics in the NBA? He's still one of the youngest players in the entire league.

I thought I saw a stat that had the Knicks as the 4th best defensive team last year when he was on the court and near the bottom of the league when he wasn’t.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
He's very, very good defensively.

If he can develop an outside shot, he'll be super valuable.

I'm not gonna bother rehashing the draft. It's done. It's a new regime and we can't change that.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

I guess that's the difference, I see a much higher level defensively than what Shump could've reached if he had been more focused...with a much better on court IQ offensively as well.

And again, I'm not re-litigating the pick. It is what it is.

I just think Frank is a good part of the young core, and certainly not a bust. Even offensively his PnR production is right in line with most of the more hyped young PGs, he takes care of the ball very well, his shot isn't there yet but his technique is good, and he has a nice feel for spreading it around to keep everyone involved & hustling.

Last edited:

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Could be worse - we could have traded up for Markelle Fultz. Then watched Boston draft the better player at 3rd.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
DSJ looks good. Remember Phil's asinine comment about not liking players that jump out of the gym?
DSJ is a super scuffed RWB. Small, can't defend, can't really shoot, small hands, and lower body injury history when his game is based on explosion.

Dude is gonna in China at 28.

ponzu4u

Feb 27, 2013
Granted it was against the Nets, but that was actually a pretty enjoyable game to watch last night. The young guys are hustling out there. Robinson looks so promising. That Vonleh payback dunk on Allen was great. Frank looked confident even though his shot wasn't really falling.

If we can come out of this season with a top 5 (ideally top 3) pick...

Also gotta give kudos to how the franchise seems to be coming together under Perry/Fizdale. I love that they brought in Sheed to practice with some of the bigs, not to mention getting Ewing back into the fold somewhat. I'm a big fan of the philosophy of bringing in classy vets to mentor and just be around what I believe is the youngest roster in the league? We're finally getting good press and reviews from around the league. (Now watch Perry leave after this season...). Hard not to feel at least relatively positive about the Knicks franchise right now.

Reactions: cgf

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Aside of the Golden State game, every game was close. And that game was close up until the 4th, and it's GS - so I'm not really worried about it.

They're competing every night. Young guys are getting minutes. Let Frank keep playing 30+ mins. I don't want to see Mudiay come in and get mins - seen enough of him. Move on there.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Maybe it's cause I've just been so scarred by the knicks, or because I'd love a top draft pick if we could secure it without interfering with the kids' development; but I don't think I've ever enjoyed a 2-5 season start in any sport more than this :laugh:

Fiz is seriously winning me over with the way he's developing the kids, establishing a team-wide identity that is helping us give top teams a battle for 3+ quarters, before securing the Tanking-win by giving Burke & Kanter crunch-time minutes.

PS I'm really starting to hate Trey Burke. His shot selection, how long he pounds the air out of the ball before doing anything other than giving it to his bff Timmy, and his "defense" are just brutal. Even if I realize that all of those things that annoy me about his game are also what make him such an effective tank-commander.

Reactions: East Coast Bias

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Frank another awful game tonight.When Mudiay outplays you,you've hit rock bottom.He needs to step it up,or he might find himself stapled to the bench.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Rough game for Frank & Mitch but c’est la vie when starting babies. Funny, competitive, and secured the tanking win while some of the kids shined...Dot & Zo in particular.

Anyways, with Timmy’s hot start and the Wizards awful form, what would people think about adding our FRP or Knox to upgrade THJ to Beal? Could still open a max slot by moving Lee and would still have KP, Beal, Frank, Knox/FRP, Mitch, Dot, Trier, Vonleh & the room MLE as a supporting cast for any prospective big-fish FA.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Rough game for Frank & Mitch but c’est la vie when starting babies. Funny, competitive, and secured the tanking win while some of the kids shined...Dot & Zo in particular.

Anyways, with Timmy’s hot start and the Wizards awful form, what would people think about adding our FRP or Knox to upgrade THJ to Beal? Could still open a max slot by moving Lee and would still have KP, Beal, Frank, Knox/FRP, Mitch, Dot, Trier, Vonleh & the room MLE as a supporting cast for any prospective big-fish FA.
Im not moving Knox or a 1st as part of any package to trade and upgrade Hardaway when chances are Knox will eventually be better than Hardaway and take his spot.Thats just terrible asset management,especially when that pick will be a top 10 pick.Rebuilding teams dont make moves like that-especially with their 1st round picks.I would rather trade/package Frank for an upgrade at point guard and keep our 1st.

Reactions: ponzu4u

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
At least they don't have veterans who won't be on the team next year, blocking young players from getting major minutes.

Rangers....:shakehead

That's right.

Fizdale benched Kanter to start Robinson. Kanter has no future with this team. They need his money to spend on other players next summer.

They are playing the young guy who has a future with the team. They have Rasheed Wallace working him. They are trying to help Robinson develop his game.

The Rangers trot out Kevin Hayes 20 minutes per night when they also have so many young center options. Chytil plays 10 minutes per night on the 4th line. Andersson was in the AHL until yesterday. The Rangers have no spot for either young guy because of Hayes.

I like Fizdale. He plays the young guys. Robinson and Trier have some swagger. Trier went after John Wall a few nights ago. He didn't back down.

Kanter is pouting and sending out messages on social message.

f*** him. He won't be on the team next season.

The Rangers would playing Kanter 20 minutes a night and Quinn would be talking about building a winner.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Frank another awful game tonight.When Mudiay outplays you,you've hit rock bottom.He needs to step it up,or he might find himself stapled to the bench.
Shumpert was more promising his first two seasons (lockdown D on DWade). I don't really have hope for Frank at this point to develop a into a starter.

Reactions: mrmovies779
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad