OT: NBA Discussion Thread: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Granted, I think this will be a playoff team in the East next year no matter what happens in FA. As long as we have KP back to full health this team really should be in the playoff mix in this conference...he’ll they were last year when KP went down.

Nevermind giving him a good coach, a potentially interesting young nucleus...Ntilikina, Knox, 2019 FRP, Mitch, Trier, maybe Hezonja & Dotson...and some solid prime aged vets like THJ, Lance, and (I think) Kanter...either on a deal around 10-12M or on the room MLE, if we need every penny of cap space for FA.

*I’m assuming that Lee will get moved by the deadline...especially if Russell & Schröder butt heads when Dennis has to the hand the team back; opening the door for OKC to send him to Phoenix for an expiring that they can pair with albrines to send us for Lee & Burke.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Last place. It’s going to be a very cold and long winter at MSG this season. There is a potentially big payoff with getting a top pick in the draft.

The Knicks have a very cold and long existence. Exactly what I don't want the Rangers to become.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Fun game to watch last night. Eraly on it was awful, but they turned it up a notch in the 2nd Q.

Hezonja said he was tentative in the preseason b/c he didn't want to seem like an asshole ballhog to his new teammates. Sure as hell changed that tune last night. He was firing shots up like NBA Jam.

Trier is fun to watch. His ability to score is really impressive. Hopefully he rounds his game.

lilphildub

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2009
Yes. IMO too much smoke for it not to happen.

I've heard that way too many times to buy it. I think people automatically say "Star free agent wants to play in NY" just for the clicks at this point. I could see Durant staying with Golden State for a while

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I think Durant to NY is viable. I think it's a definite possibility due to the young talent, NYC, and Fizz. I can buy the angle that Durant has won titles and wants to get his own team.

I'm just not going to get my hopes up and expect it. I don't think it's just media throwing shit at the wall, but I don't think it's the top option either.

Reactions: pdogfizzle and cgf

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Knox carried off with ankle injury. End me now.
Being a Knicks fan i expected him to have a blown out knee,ruptured achilles and broken ankle all from the same play.A twisted ankle and thats all is a blessing.Maybe this teams fortune is starting to finally turn a little.

Reactions: cgf

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Being a Knicks fan i expected him to have a blown out knee,ruptured achilles and broken ankle all from the same play.A twisted ankle and thats all is a blessing.Maybe this teams fortune is starting to finally turn a little.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Talkin to some of my friends from NOLA, and they seem to think that Brown’s RFA status would make his value to their FO similar to Knox’s. So if Boston refuses to put Tatum on the table for AD and our pick is better than Sacramento’s they think we could beat an offer from Boston or LAL without including KP.

Anyways, sucks that baby Kevin got hurt, but I can’t help but be impressed by what Fiz is doing. We’re defending shockingly well, we’re really pushing in transition, and we’re putting up a lot more 3s.

Reactions: ponzu4u

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You know, I wouldn't be that mad if we missed out on all of the A-listers but could get Middleton & Walker...

mrmovies779

Feb 5, 2013
Frank is quickly approaching bust territory.I dont see any real improvement in any parts of his game so far.Very discouraging start to the year for him

Reactions: All Might

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
...Frank is even better defensively than he was last year, and the offense runs smoothly when he's not out there with Burke; that's why he's lead the team in minutes 2 out of 4 games. But sure...

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Frank would've been a good 2nd round pick or late 1st rounder. For what he brings, I certainly think it's a disappoinging pick.

Dec 9, 2009
New York City
Ntilikina is another Phil disaster. Only other team in the lottery I heard was interested were the Mavs.

Almost every other GM picks DSJ. Even the usual clueless Mills supposedly wanted him.

Reactions: All Might

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Ntilikina is another Phil disaster. Only other team in the lottery I heard was interested were the Mavs.

Almost every other GM picks DSJ. Even the usual clueless Mills supposedly wanted him.

And yet when teams talk to the Knicks, Frank is the piece they always ask about :dunno:

Dec 9, 2009
New York City
And yet when teams talk to the Knicks, Frank is the piece they always ask about :dunno:

Teams just like to see if they can steal from the Knicks. I'm sure they ask about KP too.

Most of the teams asking about him are probably winning teams. Or average/on the verge of being good.
I think he fits better as a role player on a winning team/environment. Nothing wrong with that.
But if you're the Knicks and you have a center piece to build around with KP, you enter the 2017 draft with the number 8 pick. You should be looking to select the most talented player you could get to pair with Porzingis.
Nothing against the kid, but he was by far the wort PG in that draft. No stand out skill whatsoever..I was not impressed when I watched his Euro videos prior to the draft.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Teams just like to see if they can steal from the Knicks. I'm sure they ask about KP too.

Most of the teams asking about him are probably winning teams. Or average/on the verge of being good.
I think he fits better as a role player on a winning team/environment. Nothing wrong with that.
But if you're the Knicks and you have a center piece to build around with KP, you enter the 2017 draft with the number 8 pick. You should be looking to select the most talented player you could get to pair with Porzingis.
Nothing against the kid, but he was by far the wort PG in that draft. No stand out skill whatsoever..I was not impressed when I watched his Euro videos prior to the draft.

I guess part of it is that I just don’t care if he’s a PG or not; and I don’t think much of DSJ at all. So it doesn’t bother me that Frank’s rookie season was almost as offensively impotent as Rozier’s.

I don’t need frank to become a high scorer as long as he remains a defensive difference maker, whose presence tends to correlate with when the team is moving the ball and their feet. His shot isn’t there yet but his stroke looks even better than last year and his catch-n-shoot 3s aren’t missing by much. So even if he never becomes a true lead guard in the mold of Chauncey, the kid can be a + starter as a 3&D guy & secondary facilitator.

E: to quote a buddy that explains what I like about Frank more eloquently:

Frank: Let's start with the most polarizing performance of the night. Frank Ntilikina led the Knicks in minutes with 35 but contributed very little scoring; 2/6 for 5 points. But Ron Baker's face first journey into Noah Vonleh's elbow also saw Frank shift to the primary ball handler of the second unit where he tallied 5 assists to just 1 TO and reminded everybody just how good he is defending the point of attack. The offense for Frank came on a variety of simple swings and pick and roll kickouts that took advantage of Dotson and Hezonja's offensive skillsets. The sequences without an iso-scoring floor general led to some of the best teamwork all season and as much as we want to see Frank take the scoring reins; I don't want that to happen at the expense of the Knicks offensive system continuing to look so stagnant. Equally important though, Frank's defense was really impressive last night in spite of logging no steals or blocks. When his defensive assignment can't knock Frank off balance with their size, he's close to a shut down presence already. I'd like to see him attack the paint more and pull the three pointer even if the defender is starting to close out, but his case for being a PG was laid out in how smooth the offense flowed when he finally got an opportunity.

Last edited:

mrmovies779

Feb 5, 2013
I guess part of it is that I just don’t care if he’s a PG or not; and I don’t think much of DSJ at all. So it doesn’t bother me that Frank’s rookie season was almost as offensively impotent as Rozier’s.

I don’t need frank to become a high scorer as long as he remains a defensive difference maker, whose presence tends to correlate with when the team is moving the ball and their feet. His shot isn’t there yet but his stroke looks even better than last year and his catch-n-shoot 3s aren’t missing by much. So even if he never becomes a true lead guard in the mold of Chauncey, the kid can be a + starter as a 3&D guy & secondary facilitator.

E: to quote a buddy that explains what I like about Frank more eloquently:
We needed a difference maker where he was picked,not a 3 and D complimentary piece.This team is nowhere closer to winning games with him on the court.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad