OT: NBA Discussion Thread: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
My idea: Kyrie for Melo, our 2018 first not lotto protected and our 2019 first lotto protected. Gives the Cavs at least one more shot to construct a superstar and also gives them good future assets in case LeBron bolts after this year. Kyrie is one of the best in the league at the position we need desperately just entering his prime. He would be worth the two picks.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Cavs don't have to trade him though, and they sure don't have to trade him to teams he wants. The guy has no leverage besides announcing he's not resigning with them after his contract is up

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
Cavs don't have to trade him though, and they sure don't have to trade him to teams he wants. The guy has no leverage besides announcing he's not resigning with them after his contract is up

He basically said he doesn't want to play with Lebron anymore so while they don't have to trade him it would be a really uncomfortable locker room if they didn't.

They should trade him to 1 of his 4 teams because unless you're a team that thinks you're close why would you give up so much for a guy that you'd probably lose in 2 seasons?

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Cavs don't have to trade Kyrie, but if he's voiced his discontent AND assuming a successful season with Melo makes James happy to stay in Cleveland (where else will he go? Houston with CP3?), maybe it gets done.

Paul George got an awful return and they didn't have to trade him until the deadline. Kyrie is locked up for 3 years (i think) but the situation in Cleveland is flatlining fast so who knows what happens.

I'm fine with not making a move, Kyrie is closer to being Melo in his prime than being way better IMO, but would also be content with a top-30 player who happens to fulfill the position the Knicks most desperately need, deadly on the drive kicking it to a wide-open KP.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
My idea: Kyrie for Melo, our 2018 first not lotto protected and our 2019 first lotto protected. Gives the Cavs at least one more shot to construct a superstar and also gives them good future assets in case LeBron bolts after this year. Kyrie is one of the best in the league at the position we need desperately just entering his prime. He would be worth the two picks.

Even with Kyrie Irving the Knicks are not in a position to trade lottery protected 1st round picks. Plus I thought you couldn't trade consecutive 1st rounders.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Excellent PG, solid wing, good future asset. Great deal for Cleveland. And Boston gets a star they'll likely be able to sign.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I'm just happy the Knicks didn't nuke their young core to get Kryie. Let them get crushed this year and get a top pick and keep building. They won't be ready for a few years

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Very disappointing era.

Eh. Stat fell apart, and the 2012-13 Knicks were awesome. Can't blame Melo for the Heat getting Lebron and Wade and then the Warriors exploded. We're still feeling the effects from Dolan's stupidity before Melo.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
2012-13 Knicks are one of the top 5 NYC teams of the decade (Mets 2015? Rangers 2014-2015? Giants 2011? Who else?). The entire ordeal could've been handled better, and the only constant from when we acquired Melo to this second is that the organization has done everything to say it deserves its awful reputation.

Carmelo was a top 15 (top 20 AT absolute worst) player for most of his time here, but the bungling of the Billups buyout (if they bought out STAT instead of picking up Chauncey's option, the 2013+ teams would've been able to add a ton of depth and possibly another starter to surround Tyson and Melo, who were both balling the **** out) and general incompetence of Dolan and the front-office impeded it. Not to say Carmelo doesn't deserve some blame-- his defense stopped him from being the sole piece the Knicks needed to contend (which is why the Knicks best year is when Tyson was a leviathan in the paint) and he definitely didn't always have the best attitude.

The complaints were always over the top, and i'm even including myself from his first few years here, and it's unfortunate Carmelo ate the bile that deserves to be aimed at the slug Dolan. The return isn't amazing, Kanter sits in a weird spot of being overrated (huge contract) and underrated (impeccable offensive game for a big, could complement Kristaps well IF defensive issues can be mitigated)....Knicks fans LOVE Billy but Kanter is basically a better Billy and only 2 years older.

The high 2nd pick (Bulls are trash) is possibly better than a late first, which is probably what we could've expected for Carmelo at this point. All in all a disappointing end to a promising era, but the 50 win Knick team that beat the Celtics is the best Knicks team of the last 15 years, and arguably one of the first major successes of the "small-ball" style.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Suns/Sixers/Lakers should all improve a little especially Sixers. Knicks are in the running for a top-3 pick where they can nab one of Bagley/Porter Jr/Doncic.

Can't wait for Knicks fans to start booing if they pick Doncic with #1 or #2. Kinda how they booed Porzingis pick.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I would scream if they got Doncic. He is the best player in the draft next year imo. A monster prospect.

Agree.

But i like the other 2 as well. Bit of young Bosh about Bagley. Porter should be a great scorer in this league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille