NBA apologizes after China threatens pulling sponsorship $$

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
It's not a complex political situation, China has been a human rights disaster for 70 years. These guys know what is going on, they aren't stupid, they choose to ignore it because it is going to have a negative effect on their bottomline, where protesting here really doesn't. There is already talk of the cap going down 10-15% based on lost Chinese revenue. It's a different animal there, when these guys protest stuff going on here it's to largely a 50/50 split and most people who disagree with the social justice causes don't care enough to stop watching or spending out of protest. And the ones that do are mostly made up for by people spending or watching more out of solidarity.

As we have already discovered that will not be the case in China where the population is very protective of their sovereignty and reputation. But lets not let people like Kerr play dumb, this is all about money.
But a lot of companies do much more business with China than the NBA does, so why is the NBA catching all of the heat? Just because it's a media entity and they flubbed the PR side of it? Why just China and not the Middle East, Venezuela, Russia, or any other bad actors?

And being back the politics forum.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
God forbid a professional athlete isnt well versed in complex political issues in an insulated country half a world away.
what is complex about being the world's leader in violating basic human rights & imprisoning political dissidents?

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
what is complex about being the world's leader in violating basic human rights & imprisoning political dissidents?
So why is the NBA the only company getting criticism for it and why now? The one child policy was far more destructive than HK extradition issues, but that didn't stop companies from doing lots of business over there during that time.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
So why is the NBA the only company getting criticism for it and why now? The one child policy was far more destructive than HK extradition issues, but that didn't stop companies from doing lots of business over there during that time.

They aren't. Blizzard is receiving a shit ton of backlash for how they are handling this as well.

Reactions: DaveG

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

As Gardner noted, they aren't the only one.

Also, let me know when an Apple employee speaks out against the Chinese government and supports democracy. Then when the CCP gets mad and Apple takes their side.

& these other companies are not politically active the way the NBA is. Silver encourages players/management to use their platform and speak about social / political issues then takes Chinas side when Morey does just that.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
So why is the NBA the only company getting criticism for it and why now?
feel free to point toward any other companies that have had the faucets turned off on biz deals because of employee's tweets about China

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
As Gardner noted, they aren't the only one.

Also, let me know when an Apple employee speaks out against the Chinese government and supports democracy. Then when the CCP gets mad and Apple takes their side.

& these other companies are not politically active the way the NBA is. Silver encourages players/management to use their platform and speak about social / political issues then takes Chinas side when Morey does just that.
So it is about the NBA being politically active on domestic social issues then? Sounds like whataboutism, especially when the messenger is a garbage clickbait personality like Clay Travis.

Every big corporation has Corporate Social Responsibility policies, and a lot of companies still act unethically or do business with bad people. You think the NBA (or Blizzard) is the only one getting the screws tightened by China right now to keep quiet?

Apple you say?
Apple, Google Pull Hong Kong Protest Apps After China Uproar

Last edited:

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I was generous the first time
it's not even close
as far as I know, the Chinese Gov't never issued any sort of threat at either to do _____ or they'll cease biz operations with those two corporations. Nor did any other Chinese businesses start pulling their products off the shelves, etc.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
So it is about the NBA being politically active on domestic social issues then?

Every big corporation has Corporate Social Responsibility policies, and a lot of companies still act unethically or do business with bad people. You think the NBA (or Blizzard) is the only one getting the screws tightened by China right now to keep quiet?

Apple you say?

I don't think that is the case. The NBA is allowed to do what is best for their business. Given the current state of affairs in the United States, it is in their best interest to be politically active on domestic social issues as well as domestic human rights issues and whether they are motivated by money or not, they deserve praise for their activity on such issues. It is not in their best interest to piss off China despite some very fundamental human rights being at stake.

At the same time, people (such as myself) are allowed to point out the hypocrisy that exists in the NBA, especially from some of its previously more vocal employees whose mouths were open more than 7/11 but now all of the sudden forgot how to speak.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
I was generous the first time
it's not even close
as far as I know, the Chinese Gov't never issued any sort of threat at either to do _____ or they'll cease biz operations with those two corporations. Nor did any other Chinese businesses start pulling their products off the shelves, etc.
So you think the NBA and Blizzard are the only ones who have been threatened financially by the Chinese to keep quiet on the protests?

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
I don't think that is the case. The NBA is allowed to do what is best for their business. Given the current state of affairs in the United States, it is in their best interest to be politically active on domestic social issues as well as domestic human rights issues and whether they are motivated by money or not, they deserve praise for their activity on such issues. It is not in their best interest to piss off China despite some very fundamental human rights being at stake.

At the same time, people (such as myself) are allowed to point out the hypocrisy that exists in the NBA, especially from some of its previously more vocal employees whose mouths were open more than 7/11 but now all of the sudden forgot how to speak.
And if your entire point is that NBA players and coaches are hypocrites, fine, but you can also acknowledge that rich athletes being hypocrites isnt exactly breaking news. And maybe this story is getting more air than it deserves from some corners because the NBA is "woke" on domestic issues and it pushes their narrative.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
as far as I know, the Chinese Gov't never issued any sort of threat at either to do _____ or they'll cease biz operations with those two corporations.

Google did get not only threatened but actually banned for their lack of censorship. The People's Daily (official CCP paper) recently published a HK-related warning to Apple as well.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
And if your entire point is that NBA players and coaches are hypocrites, fine, but you can also acknowledge that rich athletes being hypocrites isnt exactly breaking news. And maybe this story is getting more air than it deserves from some corners because the NBA is "woke" on domestic issues and it pushes their narrative.

This isn't just rich athletes being hypocrites, It is the entire league all the way from the Commissioner to GM's/coaches/players. It isn't getting more air than it deserves, if anything I think it is barely getting enough.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
This isn't just rich athletes being hypocrites, It is the entire league all the way from the Commissioner to GM's/coaches/players. It isn't getting more air than it deserves, if anything I think it is barely getting enough.
Okay I said players and coaches, just adding GMs and the commishioner doesn't really change the crux of my argument that, yes in the course of business, global corporations and it's employees talk (or don't talk) out of both sides of their mouth in order to make money.

I would like to see Tim Cook or other CEOs of a company that does business in China take questions on the issue in an open press conference. They would all squirm.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
This is moving so fast. What seemed like a fringe news item a couple of days ago is really turning into an ugly episode for the NBA.

To put it mildly and not overly political - freaking Ted Cruz & AOC put out a join statement condemning the NBA.

Exactly. When you have a commissioner who encourages his people to speak out, coaches that criticize everything the current president does and players that seem to have an opinion on every little thing all of a sudden forget how to speak.... then its a little too much.

Curry acting like he's never heard of China or what goes on there. Kerr acting like he would never say anything bad without doing the research at first.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
So it is about the NBA being politically active on domestic social issues then? Sounds like whataboutism, especially when the messenger is a garbage clickbait personality like Clay Travis.

Apple you say?

When did an Apple employee tweet about the HK protests, then apologize to the CCP when (shocker!) they were offended by said tweet?

Nike all about expressing your freedom of speech and your rights until now.

Also, surprised Bron is silent since the CCP basically told the NBA and it’s players to “shut up and dribble” weird he had a problem with people wanting NBA folk to stick to sports like a year ago.....

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Okay I said players and coaches, just adding GMs and the commishioner doesn't really change the crux of my argument that, yes in the course of business, global corporations and it's employees talk (or don't talk) out of both sides of their mouth in order to make money.

I would like to see Tim Cook or other CEOs of a company that does business in China take questions on the issue in an open press conference. They would all squirm.

The NBA is doing this to themselves. They had a chance to let this start to fade away and decided to instead kick out fans who had a "Free Hong Kong" sign. While other companies are actively facing the same issues, this isn't about them. This is about a league that took a path, then abandoned said path when $$$ came into play, and are now silencing those protesting the very same human rights violations that the NBA once claimed to care about.

As far as I know, Blizzard never encouraged its employees to be as vocal about social issues. Therefore, while their actions are egregious, they aren't hypocritical like the actions by the NBA.

To put it mildly and not overly political - freaking Ted Cruz & AOC put out a join statement condemning the NBA.

Exactly. When you have a commissioner who encourages his people to speak out, coaches that criticize everything the current president does and players that seem to have an opinion on every little thing all of a sudden forget how to speak.... then its a little too much.

Curry acting like he's never heard of China or what goes on there. Kerr acting like he would never say anything bad without doing the research at first.

If arguably the most extreme congressman/woman within their respective parties can find common ground over how bad the NBA has ****ed up, I don't even know what there is to debate about anymore :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad