NBA apologizes after China threatens pulling sponsorship $$

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia

Square that circle. I'm sure we will hear all about the lack of freedom in China when a new trade deal is reached in July 2020, too.

But surely this person supports players exercising their freedom of speech to take a knee during the national anthem? He wouldn't preplan a walkout knowing the players would do it to score #culturewarz points. No chance that ever happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jussi and Pilky01

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Didn't get to hear any responses from the other guys on the panel...but they looked uncomfortable. Of course he is correct...if China can't handle the truth then **** 'em . Personally I am completely fed up with their poor quality crap they make. I make an extra effort to not purchase chinese products...difficult to be sure,but i can't name one ...not a single product from china that I have been satisfied with...ever! No one I know can tell me one item that that was made in china ,that they were satisfied with! Don't even want to get started on everything else I don't like about china...I think they are going for world domination.

China has an extremely inward-looking culture. Of course they are interested in trade and bringing natural resources from around the world to China, but beyond that they have no interest in getting involved in the affairs of barbarians. Apart of the plastic junk they are now also leaders in multiple new technologies so it would be a mistake to underestimate them either. The biggest issue we have right now is that there's no functional dialogue or even really a clear path to one and it makes misunderstandings way more frequent, including the NBA saga.

Reactions: DaveG

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I'm going to repeat myself again: bring some sort of sports business angle with your discussion. This is not a anything goes political discussion thread for China.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I'm going to repeat myself again: bring some sort of sports business angle with your discussion. This is not a anything goes political discussion thread for China.
Harvesting a market in China is huge business for the NBA, but is it ethical? We hear a lot about making ethical choices in our purchases now (coffee, clothing, jewelry, etc) so the NBA might become an ethical choice for views here, if they continue to pursue business in a country with Hunan rights concerns. This is clearly an ethical issue that is definitely connected to business.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
TikTok announced that it is pulling out of Hong Kong. Facebook has stated it will no longer handle data requests from the territory.

Potential US ban on TikTok also looms (already banned in India after recent events).

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
North China had plague cases after the farmers ate a wild ground hog.

People talk badly about industrial food production, but holy hell the option is even more scary.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad