Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
1688859613140.png

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
The new tournament will have some disruption on the status quo. Teams will only have 80 games accounted for in their schedules when they are released before the season; two other games will be marked TBD. The 22 teams that don’t qualify for the knockout stage will have those two other games scheduled on nights of the tournament group stage.

The losing quarterfinalists will play each other during the night of the semis. All of those games will count as regular-season games, too. At least 24 teams are guaranteed to play the normal 41 home games, while two to four teams will only play 40 home games, and anywhere from zero to two teams could play 42 home games.

Aside from including another elimination game into the season and handing out a new trophy, Wasch said there will be new jerseys for each team specifically for the in-season tournament and a new setup inside the arena.

The team that wins the tournament will be crowned with the NBA Cup. Each player on the winning team will take home $500,000; players on the second-place team will get $200,000 each; players on losing semi-finals teams will get $100,000 each; and the quarterfinalists will earn $50,000 per player. Those amounts will go up each season in proportion to the BRI growth each year.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I still don't see how it works or what the point is. Why would anyone want to be a regular season champ in some meaningless tournament.

Players are going to give the same effort they do in the ASG.... maybe a smidgen more.

I wouldn't be surprised if star players sat out a lot of these games.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
The NBA claims they wanted to replicate soccer with this. In soccer you have these cup tournaments and they culminate with winners at the end of the season. They give clubs who have little chance to win a regular title with another chance at a trophy and teams then accordingly adjust where they put in their efforts. This is not it, the uncertainty with the schedule and how they have to fix things to make sure everyone plays the same number of games is just flat out stupid. I'm sure the owners said hey we don't want our players trying to win two trophies at once but that's what top soccer teams do. Hopefully the NBA realizes how dumb this is and it dies quickly.

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
The soccer ones also include teams from lower leagues or leagues in different countries too.

This is like if the PL decided to have the Carabao Cup just within themselves and not include the Championship and below teams in it.

American basketball also doesn't have lower leagues with relegation. I guess you could include the G-League teams in the tournament if you wanted, it would still be stupid, but at least make a little more sense.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
The soccer ones also include teams from lower leagues or leagues in different countries too.

This is like if the PL decided to have the Carabao Cup just within themselves and not include the Championship and below teams in it.

American basketball also doesn't have lower leagues with relegation. I guess you could include the G-League teams in the tournament if you wanted, it would still be stupid, but at least make a little more sense.
Would be fun early on, the NBA teams might play the bench players and they could get at least something of a battle from hungry G-Leaguers. Of course just like in the Cup tourneys now, the NBA teams would get serious if they were a few wins from a trophy and any G-League teams left would get crushed.

The reason the Cups can make it in Europe is they get separate media deals and once teams get close to winning they get good ticket sales. Making these games part of the regular NBA season and having the same media partners makes zero sense. The whole thing just seems insane, nothing more than the NBA got jealous that the lone thing college basketball has for it is a tournament with knockout rounds.

The NBA could not just let college basketball have its thing, the owners and players clearly just don't make enough money as it is

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
The more I look into this the more I don't particularly like it. The courts look atrocious for one thing, and I get the feeling this is just another way to extort gambling addicts out of more money.

I'll give it a chance, but I'm not "excited". It could work, but I also think the novelty is going to get old.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Seems like the reaponse has been a pretty definitive not giving a **** by fans, other than ocassional and continued confusion on how it works.

Reactions: Voight
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad