NBA NBA adding an in-season tournament in 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Are they going to cut down on the length of the regular season? That’d be the only tradeoff that I’d see as good, and truth be told I’d have a hard time imagining caring about a random mid season tournament regardless.

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I'll willing to give it a chance and see how it operates but the idea doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Is the idea to cut down on "load management"?

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
The magic of FA Cup ln England, for example, is top tier teams playing lower league teams that play in small towns and cities.

Which does not exist in basketball. At least no independent minor league teams exist anyway,

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
This is incredibly stupid pointless. Might as well just add more games to the regular season. And there's already probably too many. This will also just add to more DNP-rests or fake injuries. Doubt the good teams will even care about it.

"Congratulations to the Orlando Magic for winning Mazda Cup!"

They're trying to be like soccer, but are either ignoring or are unaware of the fact that those in season soccer tournaments involve different/lower leagues.

This would be like the Premier League having a tournament that only included those 20 teams.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
As much as we talk about dictator Goodellbot and the incompetence of Bettman and Manfred. Silver and the NBA is just as bad. The exact opposite of Stern. He's such a pushover. (Star) Players run the league and have way too much power. Then you have things like these dumb tournaments and when owners complained about the Sixers tanking he forced the Colangelos on them. Meanwhile the Thunder are currently doing the exact same thing to crickets.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
As much as we talk about dictator Goodellbot and the incompetence of Bettman and Manfred. Silver and the NBA is just as bad. The exact opposite of Stern. He's such a pushover. (Star) Players run the league and have way too much power. Then you have things like these dumb tournaments and when owners complained about the Sixers tanking he forced the Colangelos on them. Meanwhile the Thunder are currently doing the exact same thing to crickets.

Its the definition of inmates running the asylum.

Seems like hes more interested in being liked by the players. Stern may have ruled with an iron fist but that method certainly worked.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Its the definition of inmates running the asylum.

Seems like hes more interested in being liked by the players. Stern may have ruled with an iron fist but that method certainly worked.

I mean I'm all for players getting paid as much as they can and having some say in things, but they have way too much sense of entitlement and then are given the power to just feed that.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I mean I'm all for players getting paid as much as they can and having some say in things, but they have way too much sense of entitlement and then are given the power to just feed that.

Agreed, look at Kawhi - made the Clippers trade a kings ransom for Paul George as a condition of him signing with them.

LeBron told the Cavs he would return only if they traded for a third star.

Harden/Simmons also good examples.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
Agreed, look at Kawhi - made the Clippers trade a kings ransom for Paul George as a condition of him signing with them.

LeBron told the Cavs he would return only if they traded for a third star.

Harden/Simmons also good examples.

I don’t understand why you have a problem with superstars having demands regarding the roster. They have all the leverage in the world. They are free agents that are being chased by teams, not the other way around like a journeyman looking for another team to play for. These guys are just making sure they’re making the right decison. Really pathetic of you to compare the NBA to an asylum. Also, one of Kobe’s demands if he were to sign with the Clippers in 2004 was to have home games in Anaheim. Now that’s beyond GMing. That’s ownership territory.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
They are trying to improve ratings because the game has suffered a lot over the last 10 seasons. They would make the game more exciting if they got rid of Zone Defence. More mistakes leads to easier baskets leads to excitement at the rim. Very hard to find someone cutting through the backdoor for an alley oop when all the lanes are clogged.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Only thing they can put behind this is a ton of money, otherwise nobody gives a shit

Say Hey Kid

War, it's just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Only thing they can put behind this is a ton of money, otherwise nobody gives a shit
Agreed. If a lottery team could win a 10th seed in the POs that might have been fun, but except when my son comes home, I'm done with the Association. @GKJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad