Nazem Kadri (Pre- Deadline).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heart

Jun 10, 2015
It all depends what the return is. If it's a young top 4 RHD with the potential to be more... You take it.

Kadri for Dumba please.

Mr Shanahan

Jul 11, 2007
Toronto
Neither. Give him a 3-4 year deal at 4.5-5 per

I would go with this as well; totally cool with 5x5 IMO.

However, I believe Kadri's first couple of seasons in the league being short (29 and 21 games) did not count as a 'full season' under the CBA in regards to UFA eligibility. He will be 26.5 by July 1 next year because of his late birthday, and will not have seven 'full seasons' under his belt by that time, and therefore would be a restricted free agent one more time if we signed him to another one-year deal.

If this information^ is correct, then I believe that Kadri will take nothing more than a one-year deal. He knows how well he has played, his agent knows it, and I am sure that management knows it. Arbitration this summer would award him with another deal worth about the same as his current one, and his agent probably knows that Toronto will be trying for a 3-5 year deal worth ~$4.5M.

If I were in Kadri's shoes, I would take whatever they offer me on a one-year deal, refuse to sign anything longer, and show it by put up huge numbers with a much better roster next season.

Mr Shanahan

Jul 11, 2007
Toronto
I back him as much as any poster but i don't think i would offer him more than a 1 year deal.

If he were willing to sign a long-term deal and management restricted him to one-year, I am willing to bet that he would increase his cost by 20-30% from what you're assuming that he would accept on a long-term deal.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
So even if we win the lottery, we're going to trade Kadri and keep Bozak to be our #1 C as he is only a stop gap? Sounds terrible as Kadri >> Bozak.

Or you want to move both? So we can throw Nylander or Matthews to the wolves?

We NEED Kadri here for at least two more seasons, he needs to be the guy who gets the short end of the stick, because he is in that part of his career where it's time for him to do it.

Give Kadri the hard shutdown minutes, and shelter Nylander and Matthews at least to start the year to give them a chance to get their legs without losing confidence.

As long as he doesn't want an outrageous deal, sign him. Remember how much crap he has put up with here from management, losing teams, and fans? I wonder if he might ask for a short term deal so he can leave via UFA in a few years.

However signing Kadri for 5x5 is a good deal IMO. Gives us solid center depth, and makes him tradable in a few years timeif he gets jumped and bumped to our third line.

He had the best years of his career on our third line, so if he can bring that depth scoring, we have 3 legit scoring lines, with Kadri having Komarov on his wing giving them a serious chance to score, defend, and agitate.

We are in no position to pick and choose here. We need to keep the skill we have at positions of weakness. Our C dpeth isn't good enough yet and too unknown to make any dumb moves.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
This discussion goes on forever.

On a different angle, I would love to hear possible explanations of the following events:

- many comments regarding leadership last season after his suspension and through this season
- some of you suggest he would be good "insulation" for the youth
- Lou says he's a guy you'd want in your foxhole
- Babcock has praised, and praised and praised

Why then after multiple opportunities to stitch a letter on his jersey, does the "A" go to Grabner? Hunwick? Bozak? Polak? Parenteau?

Should there not be a public recognition of his progress towards this leadership expectation? Not saying Captain. But for one of the longest serving Leafs, who is a supposed key part of the future, with all of the above, you'd think an "A" would be a logical step.

I'm not even talking permanent. This hasn't been awarded for even one game.

What gives?

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario

On a different angle, I would love to hear possible explanations of the following events:

- many comments regarding leadership last season after his suspension and through this season

Why then after multiple opportunities to stitch a letter on his jersey, does the "A" go to Grabner? Hunwick? Bozak? Polak? Parenteau?

Should there not be a public recognition of his progress towards this leadership expectation? Not saying Captain. But for one of the longest serving Leafs, who is a supposed key part of the future, with all of the above, you'd think an "A" would be a logical step.

What gives?

Those guys are all the veterans on the team. Next season, I;m sure we'll be seeing different players with the letters.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Kadri obviously needs to go, so that next season we're just one Bozak injury away from having nobody but Holland to shelter Nylander.

I'm hoping that Holland goes first. He's a talented guy who goes through the motions most of the time.

I suspect that Nylander and co. will be sheltered by other veterans picked off the scrap heap in the summer. I'm starting to believe that pretty much none of the Leafs' established forwards are sticking around long term. Are the Leafs going to count on leadership from players who appear to need leadership themselves?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Those guys are all the veterans on the team. Next season, I;m sure we'll be seeing different players with the letters.

Possibly. But Grabner has been here for what, 50 games? He's 28.

Remember too that Lupul lost the "A" at the start of the season. It's not just about vets. In fact most of the "As" this year have been under 30.

And I haven't heard anyone say they'd put Grabner in a foxhole.

Last edited:

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
?

So we draft Matthews (hopefully) and an 18 year old is going to be our #1 center and lead us out of the wilderness?... We sign, and overpay Stamkos, and a winger (according to many hockey people including his own coach) is going to be our #1 center? Kadri is a good #2 center who is being asked to take on the other teams' best forwards and is actually doing a respectable job of it, he isn't 26 til October and we want to dump him?... I'm curious what all Kadri detractors expect in return for him.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Did not vote because the poll is obviously hostile to Naz. Where is the extend him option ?

Obviously the Op does not like him.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

What gives?

Why would he get the "A" not even a year from being disciplined by the team. Because he doesn't deserve it yet is why.

Stop trying to make something more of it than there is. OK !

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Why would he get the "A" not even a year from being disciplined by the team. Because he doesn't deserve it yet is why.

I guess then the point about leading and insulating the youth can also then be summarized by your reply.

A year removed from suspension. Doesn't deserve that yet.

A moot point.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

I wasn't too impressed by the Leafs' newest A recipient (Grabner) when he had zero reaction when Kadri was knocked over after a whistle.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Yes, poll needs the long term option. Cool moves last night. He has talent, he's learning to play a 200 foot game with Babcock. I would keep him unless he can net us a first line player in some package.

Everyone talks about how we need a number one center, but we need a number one D and legit starting goaltender too. We are years away from getting all three. I think you need to draft the first two, and trade for an up and coming goaltender like Bernier was or a free agent signing for an older one later in the rebuild (like cujo or Belfour were). Maybe Kadri could bring us a goaltender back in some package. But I think he needs to be signed long term and be given lots of ice time. He won't cost too much because he isn't having elite first line numbers. He will be a big part of the rebuild either as a member of the team, or a trade chip.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Too many variables that are not in the poll. I say keep him unless a deal knocks our socks off. Start negotiations end of season, if demands are too high, move him at draft or in off-season.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Did not vote because the poll is obviously hostile to Naz. Where is the extend him option ?

Obviously the Op does not like him.

Ha absolutely not hostile towards Kadri. I just changed to this username when the new crest came out. You can check if you want. I always nacked Naz from oodles of B.S from a small number of vocal haters. There aren't that many that hate him but they are in every thread.

I would play the Kadri situation carefully though because i don't know like the rest the money he would want. I will be honest though, i am not thinking a long term deal is the answer yet. I would even hope the leafs consider moving him in a trade and resign as ufa situation if possible.

I would not sign at the term and Dollars floated around the board though. Only way i wouls sign him long term is this #. 5years @ $5,000,000.

Thats the most i would pay or i would bridge him and trade him as a rental in his season before unrestricted free agency.

I hope that is straight forward enough for you.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I guess then the point about leading and insulating the youth can also then be summarized by your reply.

A year removed from suspension. Doesn't deserve that yet.

A moot point.

I don't know what you were debating with other posters bud. Thats my stance on it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad