Nazem Kadri (Pre- Deadline).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Trade him or keep him basically. I don't think it is the right year to move him or the time to give him a long tetm deal either.

Edit: when would Kadri become a Ufa if we signed him for next season only. I am not ready to quit on him but also not ready to sign him long term.

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He won't sign another bridge deal.

They'll trade him or sign him to a 2-6 year deal.

And even f they were to trade him I think it will be an offseason move. As an RFA there is no necessity to flip him at the deadline.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
None of the above.

Don't trade him. Don't re-sign him for one year. Long term deal.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
He won't sign another bridge deal.

They'll trade him or sign him to a 2-6 year deal.

And even f they were to trade him I think it will be an offseason move. As an RFA there is no necessity to flip him at the deadline.

I back him as much as any poster but i don't think i would offer him more than a 1 year deal.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Sign him long term until 2-3 centers surpass him on the depth chart.

Why do things ass-backwards?

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
4.5 x 6 (6,6,6,3,3,3)

I don't think that's legal under the CBA.

And it's not realistic. He has one more year of RFA after this season, the contract will reflect that. As an RFA he would get similar to this season. Probably $4.3M since he's had a bigger role that Bozak but hasn't done enough to really "Wow!" management.

Then he'd have 5x years of UFA in the deal, and you're not getting him for the same or cheaper than $4.3M. The remaining years are easily $5M, probably as high as $5.75M, maybe even $6M but Lamoriello is a HARDball player, so I'm confident it's not that high.

And I think Kadri wants to stay in Toronto so his side will break before Lou Lam does.

So assume $5.25M, $5.25M, $5.5M, $5.5M, $5.75M, with the $4.3M that's a cap hit of $5.25M.

That makes sense for me. Not sure the Leafs sign him to that though.

Last edited:

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
Give him years and take a lower caphit based on production thus far. 6 years 4-4.25. If not, give him another bridge.

I'd be much more inclined to have him as your 3c down the road than Bozak.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
After seven years in the organization, shouldn't we be able to spell his name correctly?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I don't know what to make of his low point totals. Is it because the team sucks around him? Points are not everything, I suppose, but I wouldn't sign him to a long term deal. He may not crack 50 points this year. Even Leo Komarov is out producing him, and he does not have half the talent.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
The thing about Kadri is that he's got serious competition in the C depth.

Assuming we don't sign Stamkos, there's already Bozak, Kadri, and Nylander in the C depth chart. If we draft #1 or #2, we're likely adding Matthews/Laine to that.

Kadri is > Bozak but Bozak costs less and is good at the 3C slot. If Kadri gets paid $5.25M AAV, he HAS to earn a spot in the top 2C slots.

If we have Nylander and Matthews/Laine in the system, and Kadri is signed 6-years, there's risk that you'll have no room for him down the line, and then it's a question of what value will he provide in 2-3 years versus now at the TD.

And all that doesn't even factor Stamkos signing here as a UFA. I know WE as fans have no real idea one-way-or-the-other what Stamkos will do, but I'm not naive enough to think there aren't back room negotiations going on.

Lamoriello and Shanahan will have at least some degree of insight on Stamkos' designs.

So if Stamkos, Nylander, Bozak, Laine/Matthews and Kadri are all in the mix, Kadri figures to be the odd man out, right?

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
So while I love Kadri, think he's a great player and want him in Toronto, I just don't see him being part of the plans going forward. Possibly Bozak is gone too.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
The thing about Kadri is that he's got serious competition in the C depth.

Assuming we don't sign Stamkos, there's already Bozak, Kadri, and Nylander in the C depth chart. If we draft #1 or #2, we're likely adding Matthews/Laine to that.

Kadri is > Bozak but Bozak costs less and is good at the 3C slot. If Kadri gets paid $5.25M AAV, he HAS to earn a spot in the top 2C slots.

If we have Nylander and Matthews/Laine in the system, and Kadri is signed 6-years, there's risk that you'll have no room for him down the line, and then it's a question of what value will he provide in 2-3 years versus now at the TD.

And all that doesn't even factor Stamkos signing here as a UFA. I know WE as fans have no real idea one-way-or-the-other what Stamkos will do, but I'm not naive enough to think there aren't back room negotiations going on.

Lamoriello and Shanahan will have at least some degree of insight on Stamkos' designs.

So if Stamkos, Nylander, Bozak, Laine/Matthews and Kadri are all in the mix, Kadri figures to be the odd man out, right?
Laine is a winger. So, if we don't sign Stamkos and we don't win the lottery our C depth is actually pretty hurting.

To answer your question though,no, in that circumstance I think that Bozak should go.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Depends. If we get Stammer and Matthews, he's good as gone. If we get one of them, he may still be gone, but likely stays. If we get neither (likely) he stays and I give him a 5 year/ 27.5M contract.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Trade him or keep him basically. I don't think it is the right year to move him or the time to give him a long tetm deal either.

Edit: when would Kadri become a Ufa if we signed him for next season only. I am not ready to quit on him but also not ready to sign him long term.

There are too many variables though. We could potentially be adding 3 top 6 C to the mix next year in SS, AM and WN. If that's the case then he's most likely gone. If not then as others have said, there should be a third option to sign him long term.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
There should be more options - so I am not going to participate

Signing him for a year is not an option - sign him long term or lose him after a year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad