Nazem Kadri - Part 3

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
But again, you'd only be trading a guy like Kadri for an upgrade. It doesn't matter how long he's been developing in the system, it really depends on the return doesn't it? And until it does happen, that return can only be speculated upon.

Yes, it's very nice to have a prospect developed properly in house for a change. But that's not reason enough to NOT move him if the right return is presented right?

You keep talking about this upgrade, but who are you talking about?

If we're dealing Kadri for an "upgrade", I would assume the other team knows they're giving up the best player, so we would have to add.

TheVision

Sep 18, 2011
You keep talking about this upgrade, but who are you talking about?

If we're dealing Kadri for an "upgrade", I would assume the other team knows they're giving up the best player, so we would have to add.

At this point, you're probably right it would be a package.

BUT, it could also be a different position. It may be an upgrade on Defense.

Kadri has a ton of upside, so if there are any upgrades to be made, I believe he'd be at the top of most GMs lists.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Kadri isn't going to fetch a player of the same caliber as Iginla or Nieuwendyk. At least not yet.

This team will not win a cup with Bozo as a 1C, Dion as 1D (without a defnesive D partner) and a few heart and soul players. Dont know what the hell is going on with Clarkson, he has started to piss me off. If Kessel is shut down in the playoffs (its possible hell even Crosby went with 0 points against Bruins) that leaves JVR and Bozo to do some damage. JVR may up his game as he always does in playoffs but not expecting Bozo to bring in the offensive game.

Need a skilled top 6C, a defnesive D, and some sandpaper to win the cup. I have faith in Bernier.

Did you mean Bozak?

Yes, I'd trade Bozak if the return included a #1 center.

Who wouldn't?

Throwing it out there, Bozak and Rielly for Kopitar. 6'3", 225 lbs. Okay Leafs have to add...

leafstilldeath*

Did you mean Bozak?

Yes, I'd trade Bozak if the return included a #1 center.

Who wouldn't?

Throwing it out there, Bozak and Rielly for Kopitar. 6'3", 225 lbs. Okay Leafs have to add...

The problem is even if we ad Kopitar for say

Bozak, Rielly, and a 1st

that still isn't a contending team.

Missing: Defensive D, sand paper players (Clarkson should have been one of the sandpaper player but......)

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The problem is even if we ad Kopitar for say

Bozak, Rielly, and a 1st

that still isn't a contending team.

Missing: Defensive D, sand paper players (Clarkson should have been one of the sandpaper player but......)

Doesn't that suggest the team isn't even close today and they've tied up most of their cap space on a defensively inept roster?

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Top ppg centres, last two years (min. 20gms played):

* = mostly plays wing now

1. Crosby 1.46 (89gms)
2. Stamkos 1.23 (65gms)
3. Getzlaf 1.16 (95gms)
4. Malkin 1.15 (73gms)
5. Tavares 1.08 (103gms)

6. Staal 0.99 (98gms)
7. Datsyuk 0.99 (82gms)
8. Backstrom 0.97 (101gms)
9. Toews 0.97 (103gms)
10. Giroux 0.96 (102gms)

11. Thornton 0.93 (102gms)
12. Duchene 0.91 (96gms)
13. Sedin 0.87 (98gms)
14. Ribeiro 0.85 (101gms)
15. Seguin 0.84 (99gms)

16. Pavelski 0.82 (102gms)
17. Kopitar 0.82 (102gms)
18. Kadri 0.80 (99gms)
19. Krejci 0.79 (99gms)
20. Spezza 0.79 (53gms)

21. Koivu 0.78 (92gms)
22. Couture 0.78 (91gms)
23. Stepan 0.77 (103gms)
24. Little 0.74 (103gms)
25. Backes 0.71 (95gms)

26. Bergeron 0.71 (94gms)
27. Dubinsky 0.71 (76gms)
28. N-Hopkins 0.70 (94gms)
29. Hodgson 0.70 (90gms)
30. Stastny 0.70 (88gms)
31. Bozak 0.70 (77gms)

and Kadri is one of the very few players on that list who hasn't received full time top-unit PP time in this time period.

Nice job with this. Very encouraging numbers.

True, good point. As is the point hockey is a three-zone game. Think Team Canada. Not a lot of goals, just a gold medal.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
But again, you'd only be trading a guy like Kadri for an upgrade. It doesn't matter how long he's been developing in the system, it really depends on the return doesn't it? And until it does happen, that return can only be speculated upon.

Yes, it's very nice to have a prospect developed properly in house for a change. But that's not reason enough to NOT move him if the right return is presented right?

Ofcourse, but whats an Upgrade on Kadri? If you'd like a 30 year old Spezza or soon-to-be 30 year old Kesler then sure Kadri can be traded, but in 5 years who's the better player 35 year old Spezza/Kesler or 28 year old Kadri?

23 year old Kadri is at the same level as everyone else near his age and skillset, like future #1C's Stepan, Granlund, Johansen, Turris etc, yet I don't see any of those players getting thrown around in ridiculous trade proposals.

If your thinking we can package 23 year old Kadri for a 26-28 year old #1C its not going to happen, no way. If you want a declining 30 year old, sure, but thankfully that goes against everything Nonis is preaching and he will NEVER do it.

TheVision

Sep 18, 2011
Ofcourse, but whats an Upgrade on Kadri? If you'd like a 30 year old Spezza or soon-to-be 30 year old Kesler then sure Kadri can be traded, but in 5 years who's the better player 35 year old Spezza/Kesler or 28 year old Kadri?

23 year old Kadri is at the same level as everyone else near his age and skillset, like future #1C's Stepan, Granlund, Johansen, Turris etc, yet I don't see any of those players getting thrown around in ridiculous trade proposals.

If your thinking we can package 23 year old Kadri for a 26-28 year old #1C its not going to happen, no way. If you want a declining 30 year old, sure, but thankfully that goes against everything Nonis is preaching and he will NEVER do it.

Of course Nonis would not do it, I would expect him not too. Ok, what if he could get a Big young defenseman like Tyler Myers? I would fully expect Nonis to listen to something like that. A good hockey trade that fits the needs of both teams. And who says it has to be one for one anyways.

The likelihood of Kadri being traded is slim at best, UNLESS Nonis can hit a home run in a Hockey trade...period.

leafstilldeath*

Doesn't that suggest the team isn't even close today and they've tied up most of their cap space on a defensively inept roster?

Yup :cry::cry::cry:

Here is hoping the tied up assets become better OR there are trades :crossfing

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Of course Nonis would not do it, I would expect him not too. Ok, what if he could get a Big young defenseman like Tyler Myers? I would fully expect Nonis to listen to something like that. A good hockey trade that fits the needs of both teams. And who says it has to be one for one anyways.

The likelihood of Kadri being traded is slim at best, UNLESS Nonis can hit a home run in a Hockey trade...period.

Then after that trade, we can start our search for a top 6 centre to trade for.

TheVision

Sep 18, 2011
Why would we need a top 6 center? Peter Holland or David Bolland are more than Capable of replicating Kadri's offense when he's traded.:sarcasm:

Bolland adds scoring yes, and Holland has hardly had much chance to show that yes, he may be very capable of doing that.

If getting a young Top Pairing Defenseman is the return, you still wouldn't even think about moving Kadri? :shakehead

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Bolland adds scoring yes, and Holland has hardly had much chance to show that yes, he may be very capable of doing that.

If getting a young Top Pairing Defenseman is the return, you still wouldn't even think about moving Kadri? :shakehead

No, cause finding a young centre of Kadri's skill set will be hard to replace. We could get a defensive d-man, by trading one of our offensive d-man, long with a pick or prospect. Better options.

We don't have another center to replace Kadri. Bolland is injured to often to rely on as a 2nd line center.

TheVision

Sep 18, 2011
No, cause finding a young centre of Kadri's skill set will be hard to replace. We could get a defensive d-man, by trading one of our offensive d-man, long with a pick or prospect. Better options.

We don't have another center to replace Kadri. Bolland is injured to often to rely on as a 2nd line center.

Not even willing to give Holland a shot eh.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

Yes, but we've got some money coming off the books for next season and thankfully, it's got a number of guys who we can point to being key to our defensive woes.

UFAs:
Bolland, Dave » C TOR 27 $3,375,000 2014 (UFA)
Kulemin, Nikolai » R TOR 27 $2,800,000 2014 (UFA)
McClement, Jay » C TOR 30 $1,500,000 2014 (UFA)
Raymond, Mason » L TOR 28 $1,000,000 2014 (UFA)
Ranger, Paul » D TOR 29 $1,000,000 2014 (UFA)
Staubitz, Brad » R TOR 29 $637,500 2014 (UFA)
Lasch, Ryan » R TOR 27 $625,000 2014 (UFA)
Bodie, Troy » L TOR 29 $600,000 2014 (UFA)
MacIntyre, Drew » G TOR 30 $600,000 2014 (UFA)
Smithson, Jerred » C TOR 35 $550,000 2014 (UFA)
Smith, Trevor » C TOR 29 $550,000 2014 (UFA)

RFA's (that contribute to the team the most):
Franson, Cody » D TOR 26 $2,000,000 2014 (RFA)
Reimer, James » G TOR 25 $1,800,000 2014 (RFA)
Holland, Peter » C TOR 23 $1,295,000 2014 (RFA)
Gardiner, Jake » D TOR 23 $1,116,667 2014 (RFA)

Half of the RFA's won't be back Reimer and one of Gardiner or Franson.

TheVision

Sep 18, 2011
Absolutely. Would like him to play 3C.

Doesn't seem to be the way Carlyle likes to play things though. Seems to like the 3rd line to be checking. Holland's a kid I liked back when he played with Guelph and has done fairly well when given the chance. He won't give you the pretty plays Kadri will, no questio9n. But he also won't give the coach a heart attack about 10 times a night. He's got potential to be a very reliable 2nd line Centre; just my opinion. IF Kadri could be flipped for a Top pairing Defenseman, 25 or under, I think Nonis would be all ears. I don't think a guy like Holland would get you an upper class D-Man. In fact, I think any team willing to part with the a good young Defenseman would demand Kadri back.

mikebel111*

Doesn't seem to be the way Carlyle likes to play things though. Seems to like the 3rd line to be checking. Holland's a kid I liked back when he played with Guelph and has done fairly well when given the chance. He won't give you the pretty plays Kadri will, no questio9n. But he also won't give the coach a heart attack about 10 times a night. He's got potential to be a very reliable 2nd line Centre; just my opinion. IF Kadri could be flipped for a Top pairing Defenseman, 25 or under, I think Nonis would be all ears. I don't think a guy like Holland would get you an upper class D-Man. In fact, I think any team willing to part with the a good young Defenseman would demand Kadri back.

Lol heart attack? We can trade holland as well
Why does RC love kadri than? Love making things up
Man holland scares me in D zone. Kadri is reliable. Pay attention

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
The bottom line here is not any other player, it is Kadri.

Kadri made wingers last year better, for whatever reason whether it is tougher competition or the learning curve he hasn't been as good as this, this year.

I think it is very reasonable to think he played over his head last season, where he knocked it out of the park. He virtually went from a non factor to a projected 75 point pace + player overnight.

Maybe we need to temper our expectations, it is probably unfair to expect Kadri to match last year's pace. There are not many Center's that can put up 75 points a year and be a plus player. Case in point Take a look around the league.

The Kadri we are seeing now, if he tightens up is more likely the player we are seeing. I would like him to cut 10 points off per season like a Mike Richards did, to be better defensively. It's not all about points people. Team is greater than player.

For now, Kadri has to get his wingers going, this is the job of a Center, if he can we will be a far better team than we are now. If he can he is where he belongs as our team's #2C. If he can't get Lupul and Clarkson going, knowing Carlyle when Bolland is back to NHL speed, he will be tried there. The ball is in Kadri's hands.

He's on pace for 60 in an 82 game season in what many have called a slump year. His line mates have been equally bad if not worse in games he's struggled, yet on these nights he's usually the best player on his line. I don't think anyone needs to temper expectations, it's really not out of the question that he could be a 75 point center at this point. How many 75 pt second line centers are there in the league, like 3? No one can get Clarkson going but Clarkson himself, he's been equally bad almost everywhere in the line up so as long as Kadri continues to work on the worse aspects of his game I really so no problem with his overall game right now at this point in his development.

Last edited by a moderator:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Declining 30 year old?

Clarkson will be 30 this month, Lupul is 30, Phaneuf will be 29 in about a month, and I keep reading 30 isn't old.

Are you saying the Leafs are in trouble with these players?

Nonis just signed Phaneuf to a long term deal.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
their talking about possible trade destinations for Kadri by march 5th on sportsnet. what a ****ing joke of a news channel i'm literally mad watching this

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Declining 30 year old?

Clarkson will be 30 this month, Lupul is 30, Phaneuf will be 29 in about a month, and I keep reading 30 isn't old.

Are you saying the Leafs are in trouble with these players?

Nonis just signed Phaneuf to a long term deal.

I was saying that Kesler are Spezza are declining 30 year olds, their play and production certainly hasn't been on par to their norm and will certainly get worse as they age.

As for the leafs 30 year olds there's nothing to worry about till they get near 33-35 or if their play dips to the point as to where they are a liability.

In simple terms, I don't like packaging a 23 year old for a 30 year old thats on decline production wise

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Not even willing to give Holland a shot eh.

I hope Holland has a strong game tonight, in a fair role of the 3rd line, he should make his presence felt, a strong game by Holland give Nonis more options, if the Kadri trade talk stays hot.

Players are all pieces, anyone could and should be traded if it helps the team, this goes for Kadri to Kessel. The point here is improving the team, not cheering for individuals to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad