Nazem Kadri is evolving into a solid two way C

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
imho This is why TO hired analytics guys.

The problem though is that while all those other players kill a crapload of penalties, Kadri never does. To me the crux of the matter is that if a center doesn't kill penalties at all, then he cannot possibly be considered a solid two way center.

But as long as his 5-on-5 corsi numbers are good, we'll hear about his two-way play I guess.

Bottom line is that if TO wants to succeed, they'll eventually need their top players to become legit two-way players.

Winnik and Komarov, Holland and JVR are the PKers currently. It's typical for teams with one-dimensional top players to rest them and leave the harder minutes to the underlings. Besides, Kadri's new contract doesn't go up with more pk time, but with higher (low qoc) corsi numbers.

Not Kadri's fault the coach is an idiot. Kadri has just over 2min of PK this season and has 1 short handed goal on it.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Not Kadri's fault the coach is an idiot. Kadri has just over 2min of PK this season and has 1 short handed goal on it.

Your view on the team seems to be tainted. He doesn't play the PK because there are elite penalty killers on the team already. Not because the coach is "an idiot".

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I would like to see the poster Appleyards opinion on this. He produces #'s with no biasness and doesn't try and cherry pick them.

If Kadri is having a good year as a 2-way player....good got him.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Your view on the team seems to be tainted. He doesn't play the PK because there are elite penalty killers on the team already. Not because the coach is "an idiot".

No, I feel like Holland, Komarov and Winnik are better forwards for the PK. I would use Kadri over the rest of the forwards. He has shown how good he is with open ice.

Carlyle refuses to put him on the PP despite his success there with limited minutes, and same with the PK.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
imho This is why TO hired analytics guys.

The problem though is that while all those other players kill a crapload of penalties, Kadri never does. To me the crux of the matter is that if a center doesn't kill penalties at all, then he cannot possibly be considered a solid two way center.

But as long as his 5-on-5 corsi numbers are good, we'll hear about his two-way play I guess.

Bottom line is that if TO wants to succeed, they'll eventually need their top players to become legit two-way players.

PK or your not two-way center? That seems like one of the most arbitrary definitions of two-way center I've ever heard.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada

The two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. The team does have elite PKers on the team, but Carlyle is also "an idiot".

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
As stated earlier in the thread, shorthanded prowess and two-way prowess aren't necessarily the same thing. Pavel Datsyuk wasn't really a significant shorthanded player for the Red Wings in any of his 3 Selke winning seasons for example.

dirk41

Jun 9, 2010
Kadri's clearly improving, but I don't know. He has 18 takeaways, which is a decent amount. His FO% is 48.9. He has 8 block shots. Kadri's FA60 is 48.38, which is near the bottom among Leaf players.

TopShelfYzerman

Gm 7 Double OT
Jan 3, 2011
USA
www.youtube.com
Wait what? Who are these 2 #1 dmen we have? Phaneuf is just about it. Rielly might get there but not for a few more years. Who is this number 1 c as well? Bozak isn't and neither is Kadri yet. If he can kee up his recent scoring surge and stay strong on d then I will christen Nazem as a true number 1

Jake Gardiner the other #1 D:nod:

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
As soon as a player doesn't produce as hoped then they are minted as good 2 way players?

15 in the last 19 and the common theme for the majority of that stretch that differs from the first 9 games, he hasn't been anchored by Clarkson who was being force on his line.

Winnik and Komarov, Holland and JVR are the PKers currently. It's typical for teams with one-dimensional top players to rest them and leave the harder minutes to the underlings. Besides, Kadri's new contract doesn't go up with more pk time, but with higher (low qoc) corsi numbers.

That all being said, if coaching is to blame for keeping Kadri's pk prowess down on purpose, then... Okay... (TO's pk is 8th though, so not sure if that's it.)

This is kind of short sighted. First of all, any knowledgable hockey fan knows that PK time doesn't necessarily mean strong or weak defensively. You also name Winnik, Komarov, Holland who are not great offensive players but strong defensive players. In terms of special teams wouldn't it be wise to leave the PK to more one-dimensional defensive types and play guys like Kadri more ES and on the PP where they can contribute both defensively and offensively, you know two-way?

Last edited:

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
No, I feel like Holland, Komarov and Winnik are better forwards for the PK. I would use Kadri over the rest of the forwards. He has shown how good he is with open ice.

Carlyle refuses to put him on the PP despite his success there with limited minutes, and same with the PK.

Bozak is better on the PK, but that takes nothing from Kadri

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease

Why would you put Kadri on the PK he's an offensive weapon first and foremost, we have enough PK's better. Not tryna score SH goals all the time

That's like having OFD like Franson,Reilly,and Gardiner and then using Phanuef as your main PP guy...oh wait :help:

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
IS every leaf player gonna end up here?
You don't see thread about Hudler, or Couture, or kucherov.
But every single leaf player is here somehow.
Whose next? Booth?

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Kadri has been a beast possession player this year, very good thing for a highly gifted offensive player.
He has improve his defensive and faceoff game greatly this year.
He is the best penalty drawing forward in the entire NHL.
He is capable of throwing out huge hits and playing on the edge.

Kadri is a very unique package, Leafs should be happy to have him and be foolish to let him go.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
What? Nazem Kadri is evolving!

640px-Evolving_sewaddle.png

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Kadri has been a beast possession player this year, very good thing for a highly gifted offensive player.
He has improve his defensive and faceoff game greatly this year.
He is the best penalty drawing forward in the entire NHL.
He is capable of throwing out huge hits and playing on the edge.

Kadri is a very unique package, Leafs should be happy to have him and be foolish to let him go.

That's one way to put it

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
IS every leaf player gonna end up here?
You don't see thread about Hudler, or Couture, or kucherov.
But every single leaf player is here somehow.
Whose next? Booth?

Then please make those threads. I would not mind one bit to read and learn about different NHL players. Why does ESPN focus so much on LeBron? It generates views. Same thing here.

As per Kadri not being on the PK: he put up 5-5-10 in his draft year in the OHL playing in the PK. It just so happens that Holland, Bozak, Winnik and JVR get time over him. Komarov's injury has let him play some PK minutes but unless another PKer gets injured, he will be forced to play 5v5 and 5v4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad