OT: Nats, Wiz, O's, Ravens, Terps, Navy, Gtown, Mystics, Golf, Fall 2020-Spring 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
I haven't followed basketball since Jordan retired the second time, but this trade has me interested.

Questions for those more involved than I:

- How is Westbrook off the ball?
- How "score first" is Westbrook's mentality vs. Wall?
- How is Westbrook's defense?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I haven't followed basketball since Jordan retired the second time, but this trade has me interested.

Westbrook is definitely ball dominant and more of a score first guy than Wall. His distance shooting effectiveness has waned over the years (shot only 25.8% from 3-pt land last year) and he's most effective in a small/mini-ball offense so it'll be interesting to see how Bryant and Lopez do but few players in the league can score like him, even at this age. Westbrook has some of the highest usage rates in league history which can be detrimental to the team if he's not effective, and it could potentially hurt the development of some of the younger Wizards if they're relegated to a "stand there and watch and maybe shoot an occasional three" role if Russ tries to do everything himself. This is something that Brooks will have to figure out and it'll likely take some time to mesh.

Westbrook used to be an elite defender but that has gone downhill since 2018 or so. He had really high defensive efficiency ratings earlier in his career and he was the Pac 12 Defensive Player of the Year in college but that seems to have slipped.

I think the biggest hope is that Russ realizes he's on his third team in three years and that he's 32 years old and he can't do everything himself any more or he risks really damaging his legacy. I think there was a ton of pressure last year in Houston to win a championship and make it work with Harden so he pressed a lot and he was unstoppable for a few months leading up to the bubble but really struggled in the bubble after he got Covid and hurt his quad. He's reunited with Scott Brooks who coached him in OKC and who loves him and he requested Washington as his preferred destination (allegedly) and made clear his desire to play with Beal so there's optimism but they will certainly need to work to make this work.

I think they'll be a really fun to watch on offense but they'll be a train wreck too many nights on defense. They should be a playoff team but there are 9-10 playoff quality teams in the East so it's not certain at all. Honestly though, between Wall's injuries, Ernie's terrible contracts and FA decisions, and jettisoning Phil and Steve from the broadcast book it's been a rough last few years so this is the most exciting start to a season in recent memory and I'm just going to hope they're fun and watchable and try to enjoy it.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
and jettisoning Phil and Steve from the broadcast book it's been a rough last few years so this is the most exciting start to a season in recent memory and I'm just going to hope they're fun and watchable and try to enjoy it.

It's as if NBC Sports Washington were to jettison Joe Beninati and Craig Laughlin out of the blue tomorrow. Dagger.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Westbrook is definitely ball dominant and more of a score first guy than Wall. His distance shooting effectiveness has waned over the years (shot only 25.8% from 3-pt land last year) and he's most effective in a small/mini-ball offense so it'll be interesting to see how Bryant and Lopez do but few players in the league can score like him, even at this age. Westbrook has some of the highest usage rates in league history which can be detrimental to the team if he's not effective, and it could potentially hurt the development of some of the younger Wizards if they're relegated to a "stand there and watch and maybe shoot an occasional three" role if Russ tries to do everything himself. This is something that Brooks will have to figure out and it'll likely take some time to mesh.

Westbrook used to be an elite defender but that has gone downhill since 2018 or so. He had really high defensive efficiency ratings earlier in his career and he was the Pac 12 Defensive Player of the Year in college but that seems to have slipped.

I think the biggest hope is that Russ realizes he's on his third team in three years and that he's 32 years old and he can't do everything himself any more or he risks really damaging his legacy. I think there was a ton of pressure last year in Houston to win a championship and make it work with Harden so he pressed a lot and he was unstoppable for a few months leading up to the bubble but really struggled in the bubble after he got Covid and hurt his quad. He's reunited with Scott Brooks who coached him in OKC and who loves him and he requested Washington as his preferred destination (allegedly) and made clear his desire to play with Beal so there's optimism but they will certainly need to work to make this work.

I think they'll be a really fun to watch on offense but they'll be a train wreck too many nights on defense. They should be a playoff team but there are 9-10 playoff quality teams in the East so it's not certain at all. Honestly though, between Wall's injuries, Ernie's terrible contracts and FA decisions, and jettisoning Phil and Steve from the broadcast book it's been a rough last few years so this is the most exciting start to a season in recent memory and I'm just going to hope they're fun and watchable and try to enjoy it.

man I was reading an article the other day that broke down his shooting. He’s like historical-level bad at shooting the ball for a guy who shoots as much as he does. He’s basically fantastic in the paint and ranges from decent to poor in everywhere else on the floor....it was comical how bad he was in this analysis.

but he makes it all happen somehow. I can’t wait...will be fascinating to watch.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
man I was reading an article the other day that broke down his shooting. He’s like historical-level bad at shooting the ball for a guy who shoots as much as he does. He’s basically fantastic in the paint and ranges from decent to poor in everywhere else on the floor....it was comical how bad he was in this analysis.

but he makes it all happen somehow. I can’t wait...will be fascinating to watch.
Pretty much. He's incredible at getting to the paint and awful outside of the elbow. If he's ok distributing, Beal and Bertans should get a ton of open looks from beyond the arc. It's also why Houston jettisoned Capella and played small ball since it opens up space for Russ to get to the rim.

His usage rates are also incredibly high. He's an alpha on the court and defers to no one, often times to the detriment of the team. It'll be up to Brooks to put people in the right spots, up to the rest of the team to prove trustworthy so Westbrook feels ok deferring, and up to Westbrook to figure out how to effectively play in the sandbox with other kids. Could be awesome to watch, could be a train wreck that ends with Beal being shipped out. Stay tuned!

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I’m fine with two Alpha’s fighting over a bone as long as they can co-exist. Do whatever it takes to win and everyone is happy.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

My general take he was more of a scoring pg with driving and getting fouled. I think the one difference is that generally Wall not a great shooter so when he had an off shooting game teams would force him to shoot by sagging back. One thing Beal showed last year was the ability to create off the dribble when he should do so and which he really didn't in his early years so I'm not too worried about working with Westbrook compared to a SG that had to have a ball in his hands (Harden).

Wall random thought...I don't think I ever have seen a player with Wall's natural driving speed strength where it was like pulling teeth to get a foul called on a drive by the umps.

Reactions: Marshall

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
My general take he was more of a scoring pg with driving and getting fouled. I think the one difference is that generally Wall not a great shooter so when he had an off shooting game teams would force him to shoot by sagging back. One thing Beal showed last year was the ability to create off the dribble when he should do so and which he really didn't in his early years so I'm not too worried about working with Westbrook compared to a SG that had to have a ball in his hands (Harden).

Wall random thought...I don't think I ever have seen a player with Wall's natural driving speed strength where it was like pulling teeth to get a foul called on a drive by the umps.

I think a lot of was that Wall went to the basket s fast and with such reckless abandon that he often looked out of control so when he got fouled it just looked kind of normal.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Regardless of how this all works out. It’s a pretty exciting time for Wizards Nation. Most since the Wall injury, and possibly longer than that.

I’m not a believer in Brooks as a coach, BUT— he’s the only guy that can manage the Westbrook acclimation. Easily. Like 1000%

So I think he’s got a year to prove it here. And if not, hire a big/correct name, make a couple deals, and off they go.

Last edited:

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I think a lot of was that Wall went to the basket s fast and with such reckless abandon that he often looked out of control so when he got fouled it just looked kind of normal.

I can't dispute that. Wall wall so fast and has size and strength just seemed puzzling when you see Harden getting foul these touch calls even Jordan didn't get. NBA reffing is like the worst. Still remember Gilbert getting 50+ back to back on the road going into a game in Denver and he was like yeah he won't get the ref calls going into that game and of course he was correct...nba refs are the worst.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
The Nats have committed to investing in pitching over position players so Eaton leaving makes sense. He is a good player but replaceable, or should be. And Soto’s price tag keeps going up and up.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

I don’t much understand why Durant ties his horse to this Dude’s wagon. He’s seemingly getting odder and odder by the day. Durant knowingly went to partner w him?? Especially after being around the grace and balance that is Steph Curry and Klay Thompson.

talk about opposite extremes? I will happily root against the Nets finding any real success with ex-Dukie Irving at the helm. F this guy.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad