OT: Nats, Wiz, O's, Ravens, Terps, DC United, etc. : Version VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

NapTownCapsFan

Mar 3, 2016
Damn ... he's left about 80 million on the table after turning down that extension.

And as much as I love his character and his attitude, I thank the baseball gods every day he turned it down. Nationals have really lucked out that their two big extension attempts were rejected.

Crazy how he went from refusing a 100-plus million contract, to refusing the $15.8 million QO to taking $8 million to play LF, where his play and bat at SS was what got him the $100 million offer in the first place.

If Fowler and Desmond are any indication, I think players may start signing more QO's, and in turn, I think teams may start pulling back on their offers.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Crazy how he went from refusing a 100-plus million contract, to refusing the $15.8 million QO to taking $8 million to play LF, where his play and bat at SS was what got him the $100 million offer in the first place.

If Fowler and Desmond are any indication, I think players may start signing more QO's, and in turn, I think teams may start pulling back on their offers.

Desmond's agent has to take some heat here. I mean I'm not going to miss all those errors the first 3rd of the season or him seemingly not having a clue what was coming next pitch-wise but man if he accepted the offer he'd be at SS with the Nationals and likely have a bounce back year.

Regarding his contract status, Desmond made his position clear last spring. He wants to play his entire career in Washington, where he has developed ties to the community, specifically with his work for the Nationals Youth Baseball Academy. But he also wants to ensure he does not depress the market for fellow shortstops.

“There have been a lot of people that have come through this game that have sacrificed a lot for us, the players that are coming through now,†Desmond said last March in Viera, Fla. “I don’t want to sign a deal — and this isn’t to say they’ve offered me this — but I don’t want to sign a deal that is so bad that a future shortstop gets screwed because I signed a terrible deal. I’m not going to be that guy, that kink in the chain. I’m going to get a fair deal, or I’m just going to wait.â€

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...107-milllion-over-seven-years-last-offseason/

Actually, Desmond, a cautionary tale for future shortstops :laugh:.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
His agent should be fired and he should have his head examined. He better PRAY he has a killer bounce back year.

Slateman

Feb 2, 2016
So remember that the extension was offered after the 2013 season, when he was coming off back to back high 4 WARA seasons. In the 2012 and 2013 time frame, he was almost 2 WAR better than the next SS. He was in his prime. It seemed like he had solved his strikeout and contact issues. He had even improved his defense.

Jose Reyes was getting 6/107. Andrus got 8/118. So 7/107 was, somewhat low for the market. Not screw over other shortstops low, but it was a home town discount. Should be have continued that performance through the next two seasons, Desmond looking at the most lucrative contract ever for a SS. So that's the logic from the agent's perspective as well as Desi's.

Like I said, I'm just exceedingly pleased he didn't take it.

NapTownCapsFan

Mar 3, 2016
Desmond's agent has to take some heat here. I mean I'm not going to miss all those errors the first 3rd of the season or him seemingly not having a clue what was coming next pitch-wise but man if he accepted the offer he'd be at SS with the Nationals and likely have a bounce back year.

I'm an Orioles fan, so Desmond doesn't mean much to be aside from what he means to the future of the QO (which I don't like, either.) He never should have turned down the $100 million. The QO really hurt him from getting any interest for a multi-year deal this year.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
So remember that the extension was offered after the 2013 season, when he was coming off back to back high 4 WARA seasons. In the 2012 and 2013 time frame, he was almost 2 WAR better than the next SS. He was in his prime. It seemed like he had solved his strikeout and contact issues. He had even improved his defense.

Jose Reyes was getting 6/107. Andrus got 8/118. So 7/107 was, somewhat low for the market. Not screw over other shortstops low, but it was a home town discount. Should be have continued that performance through the next two seasons, Desmond looking at the most lucrative contract ever for a SS. So that's the logic from the agent's perspective as well as Desi's.

Yep, this is important context. Nobody thought Desmond was crazy for turning down the contract at the time. I remember some people thought it was enough of a lowball that it came off as an insult, that this was gonna damage his relationship with the front office.

The QO though, turning that down was foolish. His agency doesn't seem huge, but they've got guys like Desmond, Jonathan Lucroy, Anthony Rizzo, and Charlie Blackmon, so it would seem like they knew what they were doing. You'd think that after a year like Demsond had, they'd gauge interest around the league before turning down the QO. I don't know how they managed to misjudge his worth so severely.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

That's a huge $100 mil roll of the dice and he came up snake eyes. That'll be a cautionary MLB tale for a while....often it pays to take the lifetime security when you can get it....

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I heard on 980 that the players association might of had a role in Desmond turning down the Nats last offer and hitting the market as a FA. That the players association encourages players to do that in order to set the market for other players who are both FA's themselves or looking to sign an extension. Can't remember who said it, maybe Richard Justice on Tony's show?

Anyway, Desmond got screwed, but it might not be entirely his agents fault. :dunno:

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Anyway, Desmond got screwed, but it might not be entirely his agents fault. :dunno:

Desmond screwed himself and only has himself to blame IMO. Your agent/lawyer/financial adviser/ whatever advises you. You make the final decision though.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I heard on 980 that the players association might of had a role in Desmond turning down the Nats last offer and hitting the market as a FA. That the players association encourages players to do that in order to set the market for other players who are both FA's themselves or looking to sign an extension. Can't remember who said it, maybe Richard Justice on Tony's show?

If true, that's asinine. The next player they strong arm out of $100 mil should ask them to guarantee his money first or give them the finger.

Slateman

Feb 2, 2016
That's a huge $100 mil roll of the dice and he came up snake eyes. That'll be a cautionary MLB tale for a while....often it pays to take the lifetime security when you can get it....

But by that logic, no one should offer more than 10 million because it's a lifetime of security.

I think Desmond acquiesced somewhat to the players association, but no more than any other player. Every player knows they assist in setting the market for the next group of free agents. We look at the money with incredulation, but to the players, agents, and management, it's simple economics. That big contract helps the other players sign for more.

It kind of sucks for Desmond, but I have a hard time feeling sorry about him only making 20 million instead of 100. I feel worse about his decline and struggles.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
But by that logic, no one should offer more than 10 million because it's a lifetime of security.

I think Desmond acquiesced somewhat to the players association, but no more than any other player. Every player knows they assist in setting the market for the next group of free agents. We look at the money with incredulation, but to the players, agents, and management, it's simple economics. That big contract helps the other players sign for more.

It kind of sucks for Desmond, but I have a hard time feeling sorry about him only making 20 million instead of 100. I feel worse about his decline and struggles.

We're talking star athlete life, not regular people. Desmond should be worried about himself. It's not on any one player to escalate salaries for the rest of the league. I think it's pretty shameful of the PA. I don't feel bad for him, his blunder.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
It's ok. Reminds me of 2014 Caps. Missing the playoffs with a lot of talent.

Will mean end of Bert and Ernie (err....Grunfeld and Whitman).

Bring on the next group to move them to the next level.

Yep, and another year of Wall's prime wasted. Ted can't entertain the idea of allowing Grunfeld and Wittman to return.

Slateman

Feb 2, 2016
We're talking star athlete life, not regular people. Desmond should be worried about himself. It's not on any one player to escalate salaries for the rest of the league. I think it's pretty shameful of the PA. I don't feel bad for him, his blunder.

You're blaming the PA with very little evidence. They do this with every big free agent. That's the whole point of a union. To raise ALL salaries, not just the salaries of the special employees. They don't do with Desmond, they do it with everyone. Again, that's what a union is for.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
You're blaming the PA with very little evidence. They do this with every big free agent. That's the whole point of a union. To raise ALL salaries, not just the salaries of the special employees. They don't do with Desmond, they do it with everyone. Again, that's what a union is for.

I'm blaming the MLBPA with little evidence or they do it with everyone. Which is it? A union isn't there to make a guy miss his career payday...

Slateman

Feb 2, 2016
I'm blaming the MLBPA with little evidence or they do it with everyone. Which is it? A union isn't there to make a guy miss his career payday...

You seem to be blaming the union, specifically, for screwing with his contract negotiations. I'm telling you that every players union in every major sport pushes their players to get as big a deal as possible, because it helps pull up everyone's salary. That's why "hometown discounts" are rare and usually on a case by case basis. You think LeBron and Kobe signed for 20+ million a year because they needed the money? You think Aaron Rodgers really needed 22 million a year?

That's what it means to be a part of a union. Any union. You don't work for the paycheck. You don't work for the company. You work for the union. For all the people in the union.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Advising someone to take the biggest contract they can get I understand. Costing a guy $100 mil I don't. Put yourself in Desmond's shoes and I doubt you're so cavalier.

I've been part of a Union before long ago...you're spinning a fairy tale.

Slateman

Feb 2, 2016
Advising someone to take the biggest contract they can get I understand. Costing a guy $100 mil I don't. Put yourself in Desmond's shoes and I doubt you're so cavalier.

I've been part of a Union before long ago...you're spinning a fairy tale.

Did anyone think, coming of his 2013 season, that Desmond would only get 107 million dollars? There's no freaking way. He was THE BEST shortstop in baseball. He was hitting for power, hitting for average, stealing bases, and playing decent defense with good range. He was, legit, looking at Tulo money. 107 million over 7 years is chump change for his numbers. Hanley Ramirez, Alex Rodriguez, Jimmy Rollins, Barry Larkin, Derek Jeter, Nomar Garcipara and Ian Desmond are the only shortstops to be in the 20/20 club in the last 20 years.

All things concerned, Desmond was "due" 20+ million a year at the time he was offered that extension. Even if you use his contract numbers from his last two seasons in DC, that still equals out to 18 million per year over five years to buy out his free agency years.

I have no idea how to be in Desmond's shoes, because I would never worry about money again if I had gotten the 3.8 million he got in 2013, let along the 17 million he got the next two seasons. All of that absurd amount of money to me. I'm betting that Desmond didn't exactly know what to do either, as he was drafted in high school and had been playing in the minors for peanuts for a while. So you rely on your agent as well as veterans in the PA. And when they say you're leaving 30-50 million on the table and that taking a deal like that will affect everyone else who is looking to make some money, probably going to listen to them.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Desmond is a 30 year old man. No matter what outside forces influenced his decision, the ultimate decision was his.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Desmond is a 30 year old man. No matter what outside forces influenced his decision, the ultimate decision was his.

Thanks, that certainly can't be refuted...:laugh:

His advisors and apparently the MLBPA all rolled the dice, he agreed and lost his career deal. Cautionary tale...nobody worries about you but you. The Union doesn't care any further than they can extend their existance and influence. He listened and he paid the price. I hope his $100 mil contribution to nothing is appreciated by his fellow union members.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad